Teky0101

Henry Golden Boy .17HMR Legal? - FFL Dealers Please Help

Hello Everyone,

My brother and I went yesterday  to Cabelas in Delaware and found an amazing looking Henry Golden Boy in .17HMR. I decided to purchase the rifle and after giving the salesmen my firearms card and drivers license he came back and informed me that they cannot sell me the rifle since it exceeds 10 rounds. The salesmen was very polite but we told him we believe that only applies to semi automatic rifles but after looking up the exception I found that tubular magazines in .22 caliber only are exempt and it does not apply to other caliber such as .17hmr. However, it was also talking about the ruling on semi automatic rifles. Does anyone know if other caliber rifles in a lever action can exceed the 10 rounds? Its strange since I called one gun shop in NJ and they have the rifle in stock but when I go to Gallery of Guns it says its restricted. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the article on the law:

https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.anjrpc.org/resource/resmgr/evan_nappen/complying_with_nj_s_mag_ban-.pdf

6 hours ago, Teky0101 said:

the salesmen my firearms card and drivers license he came back and informed me that they cannot sell me the rifle since it exceeds 10 rounds

Salesman was an ignorant putz.  Tube fed lever and pump guns are exempt.  Not 100% sure about semi-auto with tube mags but I believe they are exempt too.

42 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Salesman was an ignorant putz.  Tube fed lever and pump guns are exempt.  Not 100% sure about semi-auto with tube mags but I believe they are exempt too.

Scorpio64 is correct.

Lever and pump guns with tubes have never been restricted in NJ at all. I have a Henry .22 that can hold at least 20 .22 shorts.

You should be able to find or order that .17 Henry anywhere at a NJ shop. 

Tube fed semi-autos are the only thing that Murphy gave back to us last year (after Florio passed the 15-round law back in '90). I have purchased 2 Marlin 60 rifles with 17 round tubes from NJ shops. It is a shame that Marlin decided to redesign ALL model 60s to comply with NJ's 15 round laws. I have always wondered how many 60s they sold per year in NJ.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, dajonga said:

... Tube fed semi-autos are the only thing that Murphy gave back to us last year ...

This I never understood. Perhaps the Dems were too stupid the understand what they passed. :facepalm: