Bully

You Can Only Have One

So, you open your safe and find it stacked with a bunch of handguns. Seriously. All your needs are met (and honestly, all your wants as well). However, in true addict like fashion, you want to add to your collection. But for some reason (you pick, either just a general sense of frugality, kids going to college, need a new roof, etc.) you are limiting yourself to only ONE handgun purchase for calendar year 2020.

What do you get?

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

A sig

SHOCKING!

1 hour ago, Bully said:

So, you open your safe and find it stacked with a bunch of handguns. Seriously. All your needs are met (and honestly, all your wants as well). However, in true addict like fashion, you want to add to your collection. But for some reason (you pick, either just a general sense of frugality, kids going to college, need a new roof, etc.) you are limiting yourself to only ONE handgun purchase for calendar year 2020.

What do you get?

What's the budget?

20 minutes ago, kc17 said:

SHOCKING!

What's the budget?

Whatever your self imposed budget would potentially be.  Mine is 1500.  

4 minutes ago, The_Matrix said:

That would suck.  

It's a mental exercise that serves zero purpose.  Lighten up Francis....  :8P:

2 hours ago, Bully said:

What do you get?

I am definitely the oddball here with my selection:  Beretta Tomcat 3032.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

5 minutes ago, Bully said:

Solid call 

Fill me in...  

Do you have a maker in mind, or a purpose?  

Not really. I would absolutely love to have a Military Issue 1911 with provenance to back it up. I accept that the odds of that happening are rather low. I held and dry fired a 100+ yr old Colt 1911 once, glorious.

If I bought a new 1911/2011 I figure I'd be in the $1200-$1500 range. Expensive enough to be a quality piece, but not so expensive to be too concerned to take it shooting.

In another thread, I had a list of 4 guns I have wanted for a while that I think of first when thinking of pistols I want.  S&W Model 41, FN Five-seveN, Sig P220, or Glock 20.

Since I still live in NJ, the Five-seveN seems pointless since it was designed as a 20rd gun with a 30rd extended mag...so that might be a first free-state purchase.  Would hate to see it neutered to 10 rounds.

Somewhat in the same light, some of the appeal of the Glock 20 was its 15 rounds of 10mm.  While I'm sure I'd still enjoy 10 rounds of 10mm, I have a G23 in .40 which most 10mm loads are fairly close to. Since I'm probably too cheap to constantly buy full strength 10mm, I think I'll cross that off the list for the moment.

Leaving P220 and S&W 41. 

I am 100% a .22 caliber guy.  I have a bunch of .22s, more guns I bought were in .22 than anything else.  I already own a S&W 22A.  22A is a great target gun, and the 41 is simply legendary. I've never shot one, but I remember liking the 41 since before I was even legally old enough to buy a handgun.

But, I am also a Sig guy. Half my handguns are Sigs.  I thought the P226 was the best handgun ever.  Until I held and shot a P220.  I love the slimmer grip, despite having larger hands.  I love the idea of having a true companion to the P226, and some of the older Elite models are just some of the best looking pistols out there. 

So I'm gonna have to go with P220, probably an elite dark, platinum elite, or one of the two tones with rosewood grips. I think if I'm spending in excess of $1000 on a .22, it will be on a rifle, either Anschutz 54 match-based or Vudoo Apparition in an AI AT chassis.

• Like 2

I currently do not own a revolver.  If by chance, semi-automatic handguns are ever eventually outlawed for ownership by the general public, I would like to have one, but only one revolver.  Since I only want one revolver, I would invest in a very high quality one and it would be chambered in .357 Magnum.  My choice would be the Mongoose .357 with a 4” barrel, in black DLC finish, made by the joint-venture of Nighthawk Custom and Korth.  

As many of you are aware, Nighthawk Custom, located in Berryville, Arkansas, began offering a line of revolvers in 2016. These top-tier revolvers were the result of a collaboration with Korth-Waffen of Lollar, Germany. Since Korth revolvers are known around the world for their unrivaled quality and value, a joint-venture partnership between Nighthawk Custom and Korth made sense to expand into the American marketplace with a top-quality revolver.  I had seen and held one at RTSP awhile back, but have never shot one. 

Does anyone here have one?  If so, what are your thoughts about it compared to other high-end revolvers?

AVB-AMG

image.png.7264bbb4f2a4a4ef447f47d2eb0e8e75.png

image.png.02a5aae7bfad3870497965adee3abed7.png

• Informative 1

21 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

I currently do not own a revolver.  If by chance, semi-automatic handguns are ever eventually outlawed for ownership by the general public, I would like to have one, but only one revolver.  Since I only want one revolver, I would invest in a very high quality one and it would be chambered in .357 Magnum.  My choice would be the Mongoose .357 with a 4” barrel, in black DLC finish, made by the joint-venture of Nighthawk Custom and Korth.  

As many of you are aware, Nighthawk Custom, located in Berryville, Arkansas, began offering a line of revolvers in 2016. These top-tier revolvers were the result of a collaboration with Korth-Waffen of Lollar, Germany. Since Korth revolvers are known around the world for their unrivaled quality and value, a joint-venture partnership between Nighthawk Custom and Korth made sense to expand into the American marketplace with a top-quality revolver.  I had seen and held one at RTSP awhile back, but have never shot one. 

Does anyone here have one?  If so, what are your thoughts about it compared to other high-end revolvers?

AVB-AMG

image.png.7264bbb4f2a4a4ef447f47d2eb0e8e75.png

image.png.02a5aae7bfad3870497965adee3abed7.png

That is A sweet piece of art!

7 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

WOW, you guys are spoiled. This is my situation every year, I only get 1 gun a year. Last year I didn't get any only because the year before I got 3. That is my self imposed limit so that I can spend the money on other hobbies.

Or boolits and training!

On 1/6/2020 at 3:42 PM, Bully said:

What do you get?

3 hours ago, MartyZ said:

WOW, you guys are spoiled. This is my situation every year, I only get 1 gun a year. Last year I didn't get any only because the year before I got 3. That is my self imposed limit so that I can spend the money on other hobbies.

@MartyZ:

I have quoted above, the original post starting this thread by @Bully that sets up this thread with his hypothetical wish list question of what handgun would one get.  He also arbitrarily set a limit of only one (1) handgun purchase per calendar year, in this case the this year 2020.

FYI, some of us do not purchase handguns, rifles or other types of guns on an annual basis and only buy, when possible, what we really want, when we can actually afford it.  @Zeke makes a very valid point that in order to become a proficient shooter, it is just as important to purchase ammo and then use it to practice with at a range on a regular basis so that one can improve their knowledge, accuracy and comfort level using each of their firearms.  Actually, I am rather envious of your self-imposed limit of purchasing one gun per year, but also like you, I have other additional hobbies and interests that I spend my time and money on throughout the year.

FYI - It has been several years since my last firearm purchase and this year, so far, my winter project is to significantly modify my first handgun, a Glock 17, Gen 4, 9mm, turning it into what I am comically referring to as a "Frankenstein Glock".  The Nighthawk Custom / Korth Mongoose .357 Magnum revolver that I posted about in this thread has been on my purchase wish list for the past 18+ months, but would be a significant financial investment and therefore may have to wait awhile longer.  Like many folks on this forum, satisfying a self-indulgent purchase of a firearm can be easily rationalized, but the actual cost investment factor may be prohibitive, especially when compared to the other expenditure priorities that are necessary in one's life.  Maybe eventually.......:pardon:

AVB-AMG

• Like 1

Beretta 92 with thinner grip and trigger job, or a S&W M&P 2.0 of some flavor or a Ruger Speed Six in 9mm.

1 hour ago, AVB-AMG said:

@MartyZ:

I have quoted above, the original post starting this thread by @Bully that sets up this thread with his hypothetical wish list question of what handgun would one get.  He also arbitrarily set a limit of only one (1) handgun purchase per calendar year, in this case the this year 2020.

FYI, some of us do not purchase handguns, rifles or other types of guns on an annual basis and only buy, when possible, what we really want, when we can actually afford it.  @Zeke makes a very valid point that in order to become a proficient shooter, it is just as important to purchase ammo and then use it to practice with at a range on a regular basis so that one can improve their knowledge, accuracy and comfort level using each of their firearms.  Actually, I am rather envious of your self-imposed limit of purchasing one gun per year, but also like you, I have other additional hobbies and interests that I spend my time and money on throughout the year.

FYI - It has been several years since my last firearm purchase and this year, so far, my winter project is to significantly modify my first handgun, a Glock 17, Gen 4, 9mm, turning it into what I am comically referring to as a "Frankenstein Glock".  The Nighthawk Custom / Korth Mongoose .357 Magnum revolver that I posted about in this thread has been on my purchase wish list for the past 18+ months, but would be a significant financial investment and therefore may have to wait awhile longer.  Like many folks on this forum, satisfying a self-indulgent purchase of a firearm can be easily rationalized, but the actual cost investment factor may be prohibitive, especially when compared to the other expenditure priorities that are necessary in one's life.  Maybe eventually.......:pardon:

AVB-AMG

I know. Because I listen to my betters on this subject. Or any subject that directly affects my and mine’s life