JC_68Westy

Dan Wesson and Les Baer 1911's

I have been checking out both Dan Wesson Valor and Les Baer Ultimate Tactical Carry and am looking for opinions from people that have experience with both.  I don't know anyone that owns either that live near me. Any recommendations? I do realize that the Dan Wesson's are quite a bit cheaper and want to hear thoughts on whether the Les Baer is worth the extra money.

You really can't go wrong with either... 

I've owned both a Les Baer TRS (thunder ranch special) and a DW Valor v-bob in 45acp and both were absolutely amazing.  I would highly suggest finding examples of both to handle before you buy.  Both are fantastic shooters

Baer makes a great gun but from my understanding the grip size on them is slightly bigger than a lot of the other 1911's out there.  Not a deal breaker for most, but getting grips can be frustrating if you're super picky.  Additionally, LB builds their gun as a "hard fit".  Racking the slide without cocking the hammer can be difficult and getting the bushing off usually requires a tool.  I've shot a buddy's LB and although nice, it wouldn't get the nod from me.  

Dan Wesson guns are built on slightly more standard sized frames which makes getting the grip's fit correct pretty easy.  They have a great reputation and I know of one smith that loves building on them.  They also are a bit easier to manipulate than the LB's typically are.  I've not shot one.  

I don't think you can go wrong with either.  Good luck with your decision.  

• Agree 1

Both solid guns.

Budget?

There are plenty of semi-custom guns out there.

Then you have to ask yourself how true to the 1911 you want to stay.

I really like Dan Wesson 1911s, but somehow always thought they were asking a tad too much.  I really appreciate how clean they look though.

Les Baer builds a nice 1911 no doubt.  @Bully is spot on with his comments on it and so are my impressions when I played with them.

If you are going that custom route, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, etc.

Slightly below, I am a huge fan of the Smith & Wesson Pro and Performance Series guns.  Springfield has a few too.  The newest one that I played with and LOVE is the Ruger custom shop Doug Koenig edition.  Shot it out to 100 yards, really nice gun, thought some may find a tad gaudy.

• Agree 1

I have the Dan Wesson Valor in stainless and I really like it. Although I have what I guess is now considered the 'original' and not the Valor 2. So there are a few differences, but I paid $1,575 for it and was totally satisfied.

In other words the pistol is more accurate than I am. But it did improve my shooting. GREAT trigger.

Personally, aside from collector value or just panache, I can't imagine what spending an extra thousand (or two or three) would do for me.