charleslee

Sig M-17 Surplus

It all comes down to the manual safety and the baby poop color. Do you want a manual safety and a sig p320? If yes, than this is for you. Do you want baby poop brown? Than this too may be for you. 

Do you want to cosplay as US Army? Then it also may be for you. 

320 as a platform is fine. I just bought an 5-x legion and it seems pretty spiffy overall. That being said, the most wrong thing about it is the placement of the slide catch. It is right where your hands can juuuuust interfere with it in use depending on the size of your hands and your technique. The M17 safety is behind that which seems mildly awkward for use like a 1911 where you keep your thumb on the safety in use, and seems like it would be even more ripe for interference if you didn't do that. 

16 hours ago, charleslee said:

Thanks raz/O, appreciate the insight. I got one as a collector piece figuring it has to increase in value. How often do US surplus current arms come along? 

Where/how did you get yours?

What was the price?

How does it shoot?

Well...its a thumb safety in this case. Im a 1911 guy so that is home for me. But ultimately, every time I shove my VP9 into my AIWB holster, I dislike the concern it generates. It isnt hard to theorise that if I was involved in a critical incident and needed to reholster or couldnt observe my reholstering in some situation it opens the door for an accident. The safety will help insure I dont ventilate my femoral artery in those scenarios. I am not worried about forgetting to put the safety on or off. That is on autopilot for me.

• Informative 1

48 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

Well...its a thumb safety in this case. Im a 1911 guy so that is home for me. But ultimately, every time I shove my VP9 into my AIWB holster, I dislike the concern it generates. It isnt hard to theorise that if I was involved in a critical incident and needed to reholster or couldnt observe my reholstering in some situation it opens the door for an accident. The safety will help insure I dont ventilate my femoral artery in those scenarios. I am not worried about forgetting to put the safety on or off. That is on autopilot for me.

@High Exposure

full software issue

Accounting for the possibility of a software issue after you shoot someone in the face is just good measure. Wanting to be able to reholster without taking eyes off what made you draw in the first place is sensible. The M18 is an experiment in a SF pistol set up like a 1911. I think the concept has merit for me or anyone else that doesnt like the idea of reholstering appendix carry of a pistol with no safeties.

• Informative 1

17 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

Accounting for the possibility of a software issue after you shoot someone in the face is just good measure. Wanting to be able to reholster without taking eyes off what made you draw in the first place is sensible. The M18 is an experiment in a SF pistol set up like a 1911. I think the concept has merit for me or anyone else that doesnt like the idea of reholstering appendix carry of a pistol with no safeties.

Your choice your wawa. I’ve explained my insubordination.

5 hours ago, Zeke said:

Da booger hooker and da mind are da safety. I’ve never understood a “ trigger safety “

One of the purposes of the trigger safety as you find on Glocks - or some derivative thereof found on other striker fired pistols - is to act as a kind of drop safety. It prevents the mass of the trigger from discharging the firearm via inertia if you drop your pistol. If Sig had one on the 320 from the start, a whole lot of bad press may have been avoided.

1gIN3pl.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

Dont let it happen again  or viscous caulk may pay you a visit! :triniti:

I’m just glad you’ve embraced the awesomeness that is sig! I love you! Let’s hug for an awkward amount of time 

2 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

One of the purposes of the trigger safety as you find on Glocks or some derivative thereof found on other striker fired pistols -   is to act as a drop safety. It prevents the mass of the trigger from discharging the firearm via inertia if you drop your pistol. If Sig has one in the 320 from the start, a whole lot of bad press may have been avoided.

1gIN3pl.jpg

Sig has fixed that slight issue and regained glorious awesomeness immortality