CapGuns&SnapsKid

9mm High Price Choices

Well I have some permits coming in and I'm about to splurge $$$$ this go around. But I am stuck in a dilemma, I am torn between the Sig P229 enhanced elite and the HK USP compact both chambered in 9mm.. obviously do not want to buy both at this time (maybe in the later future). But I would like some opinions from the forum guys who have shot both or which either one, and if you had to pick just one which one are you grabbing 1st from the store?! 

Sig P210 Target

Don't you hate when you give people two choices and they recommend a third?

At least I stuck with Sig. My natural inclination was to say a S&W Model 929.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/17/2020 at 4:10 PM, CapGuns&SnapsKid said:

Well I have some permits coming in and I'm about to splurge $$$$ this go around. But I am stuck in a dilemma, I am torn between the Sig P229 enhanced elite and the HK USP compact both chambered in 9mm.. obviously do not want to buy both at this time (maybe in the later future). But I would like some opinions from the forum guys who have shot both or which either one, and if you had to pick just one which one are you grabbing 1st from the store?! 

Sig

• Thanks 1

I've owned a full sized USP. The trigger was garbage. The slide was very heavy and putting all the mass in the reciprocating parts is not ideal for controlability. The LEM trigger is a big improvement, but still not what I would call good.  Lots of people also have issues with lever type mag release and its location.  I have long fingers and big hands, so it worked fine for me other than being a bit sharp, which was fixed by some very minor sanding to break the corners (they seem to have made it much smoother in current iterations).  The multi-stage recoil spring setup makes it recoil a bit oddly. 

Looked cool, felt good in the hand, but was really not my cup of tea in actual use as I got better at shooting. 

At that time, someone I shot with semi-regularly had a p229 and I got to shoot it some fairly often. Of the two, it was definitely the easier to shoot well. 

If you forced me to pick form those two, I'd pick the Sig. 

If I wanted an all metal, hammer fired gun, I'd probably look at sig or CZ-75 derivatives. 

If I wanted a polymer hammer fired gun, I'd probably look at the beretta PX4. the trigger is OK and there's only so much to do about it, but the rotating barrel makes for a soft shooter. 

If you asked me how I was going to spend just shy of $1k, I'd get teh sig p320 x-5 legion, which I did. But it is a full size and heavier gun. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thank you all for the feedback... I wish there was a place where I can shoot both these firearms but the pickings are slim in burlington county... Cheyennes(bordentown)  I know they have p229s but they dont have USP's well last time I checked besides no way of shooting them. and @Shane45 my budget is $700-$900 

2 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

Budget received. What is your intended use? Is double action/single action the platform you want?

I own striker fired pistols...wanted to get a hammer fired w/ a decent weight to it.. and it's to be used for home defense weapon and defensive training...

1 hour ago, CapGuns&SnapsKid said:

I wish there was a place where I can shoot both these firearms but the pickings are slim in burlington county... Cheyennes(bordentown)  I know they have p229s but they dont have USP's well last time I checked besides no way of shooting them.  

Tactical Training Center has a USP for rent:  https://tacticaltrainingcenternj.com/gun-rentals/

Just now, CMJeepster said:

Tactical Training Center has a USP for rent:  https://tacticaltrainingcenternj.com/gun-rentals/

Never mind.  It's in 45.

• Thanks 1

Got it. The USP is iconic and all and but you may be better served looking at a P30, again in LEM. For your intended use its a top contender. I love HK but out of the box DA/SA HK's are a rough trigger to live with without some aftermarket help. In your price range the Beretta is tough to beat. Mature design. Reliable. Build quality. Plenty of support. And in the case of the M9A3, a very good DA/SA trigger. I HATE DA/SA and still got one! SIG QC is too far off the mark these days for me. The USP is a bit dated but remains attractive due to its durability/reliability. I agree with Raz-o that some find in 9 its overbuilt thus the recoil can be perceived as funky. There are CZ products worthy of consideration but IMO they dont match the build quality of the Beretta at your defined budget price point. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1