Has anybody discovered the G44 in .22LR G19 Gen 5 sized, yet?  Maybe it needed a steel/polymer slide, but it appears to be very cheap looking and the slide looks a little narrower.   It will take standard Glock sights but I'd be careful wit the polymer slide.  One interesting thing, for training though, is that the 10-round magazines are the exact same size as G19 mags which would be nice for training.  It is at least 1/2 pound lighter than the G19 and it can be dry fired.  The Trigger is very similar to the 9mm Glock and it has a nice trigger break.  The Trigger is a little over 5 pounds, I would guess.  It seems that this would be a good choice for new shooters.   I am not sure if Greenday could handle the recoil, though.  Seems super reliable and would be perfect to carry out in the woods (where applicable).  I want one.    

Grabagun has them for $350.

I Have watched some review videos on them. Everyone keeps saying the lower is exactly the same as a gen 5 G19.

would it be possible to just slap a G44 slide on a 19 frame?

I know just getting a G44 slide will be very hard.

not sure I would want a dedicated 22, but a “Glock conversion” slide would be nice.

Actually, I had a 22 conversion and sold it because I never used it.  I had always wanted to get a dedicated lower to use with it and would have if we didn't live in the Republik with the permits and all that BS.  It worked pretty well, but it had to have the correct ammo that worked with it.  In the end I sold it, as the M&P 22s were much more "useable".  I know it was an easy thing to swap out the slides, but I just didn't and consequently it never went to the range.  Having a dedicated 22, IMHO, though costly, is not much more than a conversion kit, anyway, and a better route.    And it uses the same size mags as the G19/23 so it is better for training and will go in the mag holders, etc., and not to mention that it is probably much more reliable than the conversion kits.   My only thing is that either is much lighter than the real deal.  Perhaps weights could be added somehow to the G44 to make it feel like a G19 (but then there is the recoil and on and on).  I would like to see a video comparing it to the M&P 22 Compact and 22 full-size, which are both awesome.  If it has the same trigger as the gen 5 Compacts, then it probably has a nicer trigger than the M&Ps...

The plus of a conversion kit is that with a Glock 23 and a conversion barrel (or two) you can have 3 or 4 calibers with one gun.  

On 1/18/2020 at 7:48 AM, Gunnz said:

I Have watched some review videos on them. Everyone keeps saying the lower is exactly the same as a gen 5 G19.

would it be possible to just slap a G44 slide on a 19 frame?

I know just getting a G44 slide will be very hard.

not sure I would want a dedicated 22, but a “Glock conversion” slide would be nice.

Unfortunately the frame and slide on the G44 is not interchangeable with other Glocks.

Interesting theory on the Kaboom from another forum:

Now I am no engineer, but I think it might be an issue with the barrel.

I was wondering how they were getting this gun to run on some of the cheaper ammos.
I figured the were choking the barrel to try and bump up the chamber pressures.
And it looks like I was only half right.

I yanked one of my .22lr bullets (just the lead) and shoved it down the barrel with a cleaning rod, just to see what was going on. And then measured it.
It looks like the barrel is outside Saami specs for .22lr.

Saami calls for .217 Bore and .222 Groove.
And the G44 measured .212 Bore and .222 Groove

Which means with a .2255 diameter bullet (Saami spec) it is doing a .013 press the full length of the bullet.
And is .005 out of traditional specs.
I know they have their own barrel profile, but squeezing a .2255 bullet down a .212 hole is a problem no matter how you slice it.

So what I think is happening is that they are over pressuring the chamber then the breach is opening a little and then it will blow out all the way around.

Needless to say, I don’t think there is going to be a quick fix for the thing.

Extra high pressure on a poly slide = bad day that the range.

I am glad no one has gotten hurt.

hlr11Dy.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Glock-44-kaboom-Update-Glock-response-In-OP/13-193065/?page=4
  • Informative 1

We have sold 4 so far - 3 owners report the gun eats anything you feed it and no hick-ups.

That being said, no reports of and slide issues, but i will say the return spring is heavy for a .22, more like a G19 and I thought for sure there would be issues with cycling but apparently not....................

As for Kaboom, If I read it right, only two or three have had issues, but many sites reporting the same ones - no?

Amazing, the world's most reliable gun/design/manufacturer and they fuck up a 22.

In other news, the new Taurus 22 semi auto is killing it.

So let me get this straight.  Taurus makes a better gun than Glock?

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

We have sold 4 so far - 3 owners report the gun eats anything you feed it and no hick-ups.

That being said, no reports of and slide issues, but i will say the return spring is heavy for a .22, more like a G19 and I thought for sure there would be issues with cycling but apparently not....................

As for Kaboom, If I read it right, only two or three have had issues, but many sites reporting the same ones - no?

Yes, I think it's the same two or three that are getting talked about, so it's not like there's a mass-failure event happening.

Since it's a Glock I think ANY malfunctions/kabooms are going to get a lot of attention.

So far the vast majority of the feedback is positive.

35 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Amazing, the world's most reliable gun/design/manufacturer and they fuck up a 22.

In other news, the new Taurus 22 semi auto is killing it.

So let me get this straight.  Taurus makes a better gun than Glock?

Taurus TX22 was named 2019 Handgun of the Year by the editors of Guns & Ammo magazine.  That being said - the G42X/G43 came out in 2019 too... :taunt:

• Agree 1

Took my G44 to the range tonight and only shot cheap 22LR ammo.

winchester bulk- had  3 malfunctions out of 100+ rounds 
1 Failure to feed (first round of a mag)

2 stove pipes

remington golden bullets- 100% reliable and I shot over 200 rounds of it.

only positive experiences so far. 

15 minutes ago, SJG said:

Good review of G44 as well as TX-22 on Military Arms Channel.

Based on what I have seen I would go for the TX-22 , better  price point, warranty good etc.

I was going to ask if anyone had experience comparing them, because if they are close, the Taurus is about half the price of the Glock.  

Just picked up a couple permits with the intent of purchasing a 22LR pistol, the G44 was the leading contender but looking at some of the reviews and post above it looks like it might have issues with some of the 22 bulk ammo. Viewing the Bud’s website the TX22 is  sold as 16+1 and 10+1  so now for the dumb question of the day. Are the mags interchangeable?

Sorry for necroposting….

I picked up one of these yesterday as a training pistol/suppressor host. Mine is a ‘2nd generation’ of the G44. 

I’ve heard they have issue with cheap bull ammo. I shoot CCI standard velocity, so I don’t anticipate a problem. 
Regarding the Kaboom issue, I am to the understanding this has been resolved. 
Changes to the barrel/chamber from what I was told. 
My pistol did not come with a threaded barrel, so I had to buy the kit from another vendor.

I’ll report back once I get this thing to the range. 

• Like 1

A little after range report with the G44. 

I fired it using CCI standard velocity .22LR rounds. 

First, was unsuppressed with the factory barrel. It performed as one expects from a box stock Glock. It functioned perfectly, without any break in. I probably fired 50 rounds through it, it’s more accurate than I can shoot it. 

I added the threaded barrel, and shot it unsuppressed for about another 50 rounds. Same story as above. No surprise there. 

I then attached my suppressor (Texas Silencer Company’s ‘Scoundrel’ can). 
I shot another 50 rounds through it, with mixed results. 
There was a slight POI vertical shift, no big deal. Expected. 
What I didn’t expect was random failures to eject. I’d say about 30% of the time. Not the kind of reliability I was expecting. I was alone in an indoor range, I took off my hearing pro off to get a sense of how quiet it was, the cycle of the action was all you heard. No FRP either. 

I wound up putting the can on my 10/22, as I’m not happy with the reliability of it on the G44. 
I’ll make the 10/22 my dedicated host. It ran flawlessly with the can, and is even quieter (less cyclic mass). 

In any case, shooting suppressed is fun. 

3AA97B1F-ABC7-4571-89A6-3ADF2C267897.jpeg

373B1421-8C72-49B8-B754-24A246495E11.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

What I didn’t expect was random failures to eject.

If you can get your hands on some Aguila or CCI for suppressed guns, I bet that fte would go away.  Suppressors really mess with internal ballistics, a heavier bullet is usually needed to provide sufficient back pressure before the projectile enters the baffles.

1 minute ago, Scorpio64 said:

If you can get your hands on some Aguila or CCI for suppressed guns, I bet that fte would go away.  Suppressors really mess with internal ballistics, a heavier bullet is usually needed to provide sufficient back pressure before the projectile enters the baffles.

Those are lower velocity than what I was shooting. 950fps vs 1050fps. 
I was going to experiment around with different loads to see what cycled, but decided to use the 10/22 as a dedicated host for that suppressor instead. 

1 minute ago, Displaced Texan said:

Those are lower velocity than what I was shooting.

What you loose in velocity is made up in mass.  You have a distinct energy advantage with the slower heavier bullet out to about 400. Using gundata.org, I compared Aguila's 60gr subsonic (950fps) to CCI 40gr subsonic (1050fps), and found initial energy at the muzzle is 22fp greater with the Aguila.

I also wonder what high or hyper velocity would do with a suppressor.  It would be louder, defeating the purpose of suppressed, but I'm still curious to know if the hotter load would provide enough back pressure for reliable cycling.

A .22 Standard Velocity and Match Ammunition, Aguila SSS Sniper Subsonic, 60gr

B B .22 Standard Velocity and Match Ammunition, CCI Sub-sonic HP, 40gr

Range Drop
(inches)
Velocity Energy Wind drift
(inches)
Time
(milliseconds)
A B A B A B A B A B
0 -1.4611 -1.4678 950 1050 120 98 0.0000 0.0000 1 1
50 5.0582 3.9762 868 962 100 82 0.0000 0.0000 167 151
100 0.0404 0.0273 803 896 86 71 0.0000 0.0000 346 312
150 -18.4776 -14.7466 746 842 74 63 0.0000 0.0000 540

Right, I’m aware of the higher mass producing more force. 

I thought about trying some higher velocity loads but didn’t have any with me at the time. In regard to noise, it would likely not be a huge difference in the suppressed G44, as the barrel is too short for the round to go supersonic, but it more likely would be an issue in the 10/22. 
I do think the CCI high velocity would have cycled the G44/can with no issue. 

No worries, I’m content to use the G44 unsuppressed as a low cost training pistol for my G19. They are of the same physical size, although the weight is different. 

Shooting stuff is fun. Shooting stuff suppressed is more fun!