gleninjersey

HEATING & COOLING EXPERTS - NEW HOT SURFACE IGNITOR STOPPED WORKING?

Two days ago I replaced the hot surface ignitor on one of my furnances (dual zone).  

It worked fine for two days.  This morning it's 65 degrees on the second floor.

Ignitor is not glowing.  Is it possible I got a bad one?  I was careful not to touch the metal / element when installing.

Does it matter which side is facing towards you?  Is their a front & back?  

If I need to buy another one where can I pick one up.  Home Depot doesn't carry them.  I went to HD first on Tuesday night. 

Quick look at Lowes website doesn't look like caryy them either. 

Ordered this one from Grainger Industrial Supply and picked it up next day (Wednesday) but they are closed Sat &Sunday.

10 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Two days ago I replaced the hot surface ignitor on one of my furnances (dual zone).  

It worked fine for two days.  This morning it's 65 degrees on the second floor.

Ignitor is not glowing.  Is it possible I got a bad one?  I was careful not to touch the metal / element when installing.

Does it matter which side is facing towards you?  Is their a front & back?  

If I need to buy another one where can I pick one up.  Home Depot doesn't carry them.  I went to HD first on Tuesday night. 

Quick look at Lowes website doesn't look like caryy them either. 

Ordered this one from Grainger Industrial Supply and picked it up next day (Wednesday) but they are closed Sat &Sunday.

You can use the / make worky the generic universal ones. Ck the voltage first 

4 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

One is none and 2 is one. 

The one I purchased from Grainger was $60.  I thought to myself, "I should order two" but they are half that on Amazon and take a few days to arrive.  FML.  :)

At least it's the 2nd floor that's out.  Heat will rise from first floor.  Unless that one craps out as well (I probably just jinxed myself).

So now I'm going to order a few of them from Amzaon or Home Depot.  But won't be in until 21st.  Of well.  That's what hoodies and sweaters are for.

I can't believe there are no heating / cooling supply places open on Saturday / Sunday.  I'll keep googling.  Gotta be something open?

24 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

I can't believe there are no heating / cooling supply places open on Saturday / Sunday.  I'll keep googling.  Gotta be something open?

Got any old school, hometown hardware stores in your area (non big box)? You'd be surprised what they have laying around, since theses things are generic.

24 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Got any old school, hometown hardware stores in your area (non big box)? You'd be surprised what they have laying around, since theses things are generic.

Hmmm...got a Yaeger and a True Value near me.  Worth a shot.  

Good suggestion.  Thanks!

Update: No dice.  And place one of them recommended I try is, of course, closed on weekend.

5 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Hmmm...got a Yaeger and a True Value near me.  Worth a shot.  

Good suggestion.  Thanks!

I hope they have it. I have a hometown hardware store near me, and it never stops amazes me the rare and bizarre things they have, which is what I'm usually looking for... :scratchhead:

I think the new ignitor some how developed a hairline crack.  Turning it around did nothing.

I'll keep looking online for places.  It's 66 degrees right now from heat rising up from first floor.  So not an emergency by an means.  Just a minor inconvenience.

Definetly ordering 3-4 of them to have delivered.

Screenshot_20200118-143250.jpg

5 minutes ago, tony357 said:

have you checked voltages and does the heater have prepurge timing sequence ? If so you may have wrong ignitor there are two prepurge times the longer one can be installed on the shorter purge but not vise versa.  

Ya Glennjersey use a voltmeter ( he doesn’t have one)

@gleninjerseydo you have @DeerSlayer contact info? I dont think hes on this forum any more but He might have one if you want to drive to Sussex. I can also ask my buddy in pberg if hes got one on his truck if you send me the info.

Looks like yours was cracked from the get go. They are delicate 

1 hour ago, tony357 said:

have you checked voltages and does the heater have prepurge timing sequence ? If so you may have wrong ignitor there are two prepurge times the longer one can be installed on the shorter purge but not vise versa.  

Should be correct ignitor.  Put the make and model number into the website and said exact fit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fishnut said:

@gleninjerseydo you have @DeerSlayer contact info? I dont think hes on this forum any more but He might have one if you want to drive to Sussex. I can also ask my buddy in pberg if hes got one on his truck if you send me the info.

Looks like yours was cracked from the get go. They are delicate 

yah I see the burn at crack. did not look at it before.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Zeke said:

As @Displaced Texan told me.... when I was freezings.... “ preventative maintenance “ I said a lot of Un nice things as a response.

True story 

Yeah you did!! 

Proper planned maintenance is vital. If you don’t do it...it’s nobody’s fault but your own when your shit fails at an inopportune time. 

Picked up a cheap multimeter from Harbour Freight.  The ignitor definetly has a break and is bad.

I got out a magnifying glass and up close I can see the hairline crack.

Good news is Amazon should have one here tomorrow the second one arriving day or two later. 

Definetly going to check the one in the basement.  Probably replace that one and then order two as back ups.  Pain in the ass to get these things locally. 

Other thing to come out of this is the wife and kids went to stay at her Mother's house.  The dog and I have the house to ourselves! Going to watch some action movies!

Screenshot_20200118-210335.jpg

7 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Other thing to come out of this is the wife and kids went to stay at her Mother's house.  The dog and I have the house to ourselves! Going to watch some action movies!

See, there's always an upside! :clapping:

That white burn marked area is where the crack is.  My moms igniter just went but hers broke into two pieces.  There is no forward or backward on those.  Once in a while they go bad right out of the box.  I went to school for HVAC and I used to work for Horizon Services years ago.  It is worth having a couple extra ones for your model furnace.  You should be able to go to www.RepairClinic.com and put in the model number of of your furnace and see compatible replacement parts.  www.SupplyHouse.com has cheaper prices, but you can't search by furnace model number, you will need to have the part number of your part to ensure an exact match.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My turn....furnace crapped out last night.

The blink code on the control board indicates a pressure switch is open, but I think the switch is good....as I’ve replaced it with a known good spare.

The blower motor case is HOT! I’m thinking the logic circuit thinks the blower is running (when it’s actually not), and since the pressure switch hasn’t closed due to the vacuum in the plenum, it’s flagging a pressure sensor fault.

Turned off power to the furnace and let the motor cool down (shouldn’t take long...it’s 63° in here!! 

I’m going to call a service guy on this one, as I don’t have quick access to a replacement blower motor. 
At least I’m working from home today to deal with this one. Earlier in the week I was on a business trip, and my wife would have had to deal with this. She wouldn’t have been happy. 

Edited to add: I let the blower motor cool down until it was cool to the touch. Powered on the furnace, I can hear the motor humming, but it doesn’t start. I think the motor is toast. Probably not going to be a cheap fix. Ugh