gleninjersey

HEATING & COOLING EXPERTS - NEW HOT SURFACE IGNITOR STOPPED WORKING?

Got it running. The blower motor runs ok. 

I played with the pressure switch some more, I think I had the vacuum lines inadvertently swapped around. 
Since the tech is already in the way, I’ll at least have him get me a spare pressure switch. 

The guy who originally installed the system did a crap job, and the gas line puts pressure on the bottom of the motor case. Sometimes this makes noise, and has, in the past, caused the motor to overheat due to pressure on the motor. Almost putting it in a bind. 
I’ll have him fix that. Get my moneys worth. 

• Like 2

Pressure switch went on my downstairs furnace a few years ago.  At first I could disconnect on of the lines and blow in it and then reattach the line.  Furnace worked for a while.  I ordered a new pressure switch and changed it.  Got tired of having to manually open the pressure switch as mentioned above.  

Glad it ended well for you Tex.

On 1/21/2020 at 10:27 PM, ted527 said:

Sorry, just saw this thread. Do NOT buy anymore replacements of what you had. Order a couple Honeywell Glowfly universal ignitors.

I started using them 5-6 years before I retired 5 years ago and never had one go bad. 
About $30 on Amazon 

Thanks.  As fate would have it yesterday the 2nd ignitor went.  I think I banged it around too much trying to install it.  It fell apart into three or four pieces as soon as I got it out.  They really should make the hole it passes through much wider.

Luckily I had the extra one I had ordered.  I put on latex gloves and was VERY gentle and careful to get it through hole without banging it around.

This will.be the third ignitor in 1.5 weeks.  Hopefully this one last MUCH longer than 3-4 days.

I'll try the one you are recommending.  Need to replace the one in the basement.  It's working but just as old as the upstairs unit that just went.  It can't be far behind.