AlDente67

The pretty toilet

We redid a bathroom last year, completely removing everything down to the stud walls.  The old toilet was a champ...3.5 gallon flush, perfect working mechanicals...the only toilet in the house that never had a single issue.  The problem is...it is powder blue.

So I have been storing it ever since.  Figured someone might be interested in the flush size since you can't buy them these days (The one that sucks down golf balls actually works pretty well, but maybe someone wants to save $150 bucks).  I put a ad on CL for $20.  Only one reply..from a restaurant owner in Brooklyn who said he was tired of his customers clogging his 1.5 gallon toilets every few days.  I said he'd come down and give me $100 for it.  Ok, I was only asking 20, but whatever.  Naturally I never heard anything further.  So there it sits, lonely and forlorn without any butts to warm it in the cold garage.

So my next idea is to try to change the color to white or something else.  Could be a fun little project.  But there is little info online about how to re-paint...different how-to guides suggest all sorts of paint types, some even suggesting not to do inside the bowl because the coating would come right off.  I don't buy that advice else a million boat owners would be pretty ticked off having to dry dock every 2 weeks.

Has anyone ever actually re-colored porcelain glaze? 

I can’t help you there, however...

Last year, my next door neighbor decided to re-do his bathroom. This was an original bathroom in a 1950’s era house. The toilet was a baby blue...and I know this because he left it sitting in his backyard, in full view of the neighborhood, for several months. :facepalm:

He eventually sold it to someone who was into vintage toilets. Never knew there was a market for such things! 

Listen... do you REALLY want to re-glaze it? Or are you just considering that since you couldn't get rid of it easily... and ever since, your pale blue temptress has stared at you mockingly with her moon-shaped, sneering face each and every time you enter the garage? Be honest with yourself!

Try listing it on eBay with local pickup only. Yes, there's a market for vintage toilets, sinks, etc. - particularly if it's 50's/60's - mid-century modern (and the colors popular then) has really been the design craze for awhile now and still has a decent market. You might not get a lot for it, but you'll "move" it... it will "go".

See what I did there? Apparently, I spend too much time on here and you people are influencing me in myriad terrible ways... I mean, I actually just engaged in  some light bathroom humor... something I have always abhorred. What more evidence do we need? My life as I know it... or at least my self-respect... just crashed. I need to stop and reflect now... over a nice glass of booze. :facepalm:

The thought crossed my mind that if I turned it white,  I could use it in place of one of the other ones upstairs that drive me insane.  If I had to guess, it came with the house when built in '71, so it isn't 'vintage' enough for that crowd.  It would be more attractive to someone longing for the pre-water saving legislative craze, or the odd person who really likes powder blue in general.

Or anyone who doesn't give a sheet....which is counter-intuitive, but I had to work something in there.

I stand corrected:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Retro-1981-Kohler-K4211-Cerulean-Blue-Elongated-Toilet-System-2/143505693187?hash=item21699b1a03:g:06MAAOSweKNeI6ux

Thats the one, but mine actually has a handle.  They call that one "vintage".  Hmmmm...might never sell, but still, that's a whopper of an ask price.

"cerulean" sounds so inviting when nature calls.  Maybe light some incense sticks too.

On a tangent, are you actually a handyman in real life...i.e. make money doing it?  Or is that just your alias?

Reason I ask id because a number of times I have submitted requests for odd jobs on sites such as Homeadvisor, etc and got "matched" with 3 local pros who handle the particular job.  None of them ever get in touch...ever.  Then a few weeks later, a rep from the website calls me to ask how the job went.  I tell them it didn't because I never heard from anyone.  They go Uhhh and tell e to have a nice day.

Seems as though unless you want to hire out a major renovation right away, nobody is really interested in bothering.  So why they claim the specialize in smalljobs is a bit of a mystery.

8 hours ago, AlDente67 said:

The thought crossed my mind that if I turned it white

Sooo… not only misogynistic, but xenophobic as well? First, you lock her up in your bathroom and shit on her for YEARS, then after taking all of your abuse with nary a single complaint, you turn around and toss her in a cold garage, and now you suddenly find her COLOR so offensive you want to turn her white? Oh, AlDente67... shame on you!

I'm feeling triggered....

44 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Sooo… not only misogynistic, but xenophobic as well? First, you lock her up in your bathroom and shit on her for YEARS, then after taking all of your abuse with nary a single complaint, you turn around and toss her in a cold garage, and now you suddenly find her COLOR so offensive you want to turn her white? Oh, AlDente67... shame on you!

I'm feeling triggered....

Jeebus she’s going poetry. And alliteration 

7 hours ago, AlDente67 said:

On a tangent, are you actually a handyman in real life...i.e. make money doing it? 

Long ago - just little church bulletin ad stuff. Now there is too much liability, and people can learn to fix pretty much anything by watching a YouTube video. 

Join the Nextdoor website and ask for a handyman - you'll get responses. 

15 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Long ago - just little church bulletin ad stuff. Now there is too much liability, and people can learn to fix pretty much anything by watching a YouTube video. 

Join the Nextdoor website and ask for a handyman - you'll get responses. 

I rilly think that’s a trap. I’m just sayen based on his twisted humor @AlDente67