chic013

Air Travel with Critical Defense FTX Ammo

Hi All,

I will be heading to Dallas next month out of EWR.  Just checking to see if I'm okay to travel with Critical Defense ammo.  (9MM FTX).  American Airlines web page does not indicate a restriction, so I would guess I'm fine.  I've traveled prior but packed ball ammo.  This will be my first flight trip with the FTX ammo.

Thanks for any tips or comments.

I've traveled with it often.  Should be absolutely no problem.

First off, there is some discussion whether or not that is a true "hollow point."  And second, the rest of the country does not have the same obsession with defensive ammo that we do here in NJ. 

1 hour ago, chic013 said:

Thanks.  I figured it would not be an issue.  To your point, my only concern is a subjective TSA inspector not fully aware the FTX is not a true hollow point, per se and flagging it.  

I've flown with hollow points properly packed in my checked luggage many times with no issues.

• Like 2

And there is this...…..https://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml scroll to 13

I’m not a police officer, are hollow points legal for me to possess?

Yes.  They are legal for purchase and possess in your home or on land owned by you.  They are legal to possess and use at a gun range.  They are also legal to possess while traveling to and from such places. Ammunition lacking a hollow cavity at the tip, such as those with a polymer filling, are not considered to be hollow point ammunition.  An example of this can be seen with the Hornady Critical Defense / Critical Duty, Cor-Bon PowRball / Glaser Safety Slug and Nosler Inc. Defense ammunition.

SP have weighed in and decided Hornady FTX are not hollow points......