Zeke

Air fryer vs crockpot

Crockpot is great for cooking while I'm out for the day. Chili, soups, or paella after a long day of being out in the cold  are all great. Not ribs though. 

Our neighbor who is all about the air fryer let us borrow his, the wife liked it but  If I want something  fryed it's going to be in butter or oil not air. I think she likes it because its healthier or lower fat. 

• Haha 1

An air fryer is a countertop convection oven, so if you already have a convection oven, it's redundant.  

And yeah, their strength is that they cook with little or no oil, NOT that they make food that tastes just like fried.   You'll notice the difference.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

To me,  crockpot is for soups or stews.i have used it to keep my queso dip warm at a Super Bowl party. It for damn sure ain’t for ribs, or any other type of ‘bbq’. Hell no. 

We’ve had an air fryer for awhile now. It’s basically circulated air convention cooking. You can ‘fry’ with it, using a spritz of oil, and your food will turn out crispy. We did wings in it the other night, and they were delicious. We have done breaded ‘fried’ recipes, and they turn out tasty and crispy if you mist them with a little cooking oil. It does lower the fat content vs traditional frying. 
Our air fryer has a ‘grill’ plate to put inside it. It will give you grill marks, but that’s as close to ‘grilled’ as it gets. No grill flavor, but that’s to be expected as it’s not grilled. 

Hell, you can even bake bread in them!

I look at the air fryer as a handy kitchen multitasker, Jack of all trades, but master of none. Cool tool, but not the solution to every problem. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

We’ve had an air fryer for awhile now. It’s basically circulated air convention cooking. You can ‘fry’ with it, using a spritz of oil, and your food will turn out crispy.

1 minute ago, Zeke said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frying
by definition, @Displaced Texan it’s not a fryer at all.

an air roaster?

Reading comprehension much, Zeke?

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

To me,  crockpot is for soups or stews.i have used it to keep my queso dip warm at a Super Bowl party. It for damn sure ain’t for ribs, or any other type of ‘bbq’. Hell no. 

We’ve had an air fryer for awhile now. It’s basically circulated air convention cooking. You can ‘fry’ with it, using a spritz of oil, and your food will turn out crispy. We did wings in it the other night, and they were delicious. We have done breaded ‘fried’ recipes, and they turn out tasty and crispy if you mist them with a little cooking oil. It does lower the fat content vs traditional frying. 
Our air fryer has a ‘grill’ plate to put inside it. It will give you grill marks, but that’s as close to ‘grilled’ as it gets. No grill flavor, but that’s to be expected as it’s not grilled. 

Hell, you can even bake bread in them!

I look at the air fryer as a handy kitchen multitasker, Jack of all trades, but master of none. Cool tool, but not the solution to every problem. 

Agree