Underdog

Morakniv Garberg Stainless Steel

This is stainless steel and NOT a high carbon knife, but you can toss it somewhere with little maintenance and it is an awesome little knife.   This is a great deal for a full-tang Mora  I would rather have the high carbon steel version with the leather sheath but I will get 2-3 of these and put in the truck, etc.   Good in salt air and snow!  $26 dollars and Prime!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I1GITMA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

Still climbing this morning.  Interestesting how Amazon pricing works just from that one link above.  Maybe the $25.99 was an accident?  

Thanks for the link.  I was able to grab one last night at the $25.99 price.  

Thats a steal for a full tang version

Edit-  Checking back it's adjusted to $39.99 now which is still a great deal vs the typical $80 price range

I just clicked the Link out of curiousity and its $27.99.   That's crazy.  Anyway, it is definitely a step up from the awesome $18 approx. Campanion. For $10 more you are getting one heck of a knife, even the stainless with the Molle sheath.  If I didn't have to pay my range dues this month, I would pickup a couple more. 

I wanted to see what the bot has it at today and I saw that the leather sheath version is on sale/clearance? now.  

I felt the same.  I thought maybe they were phasing this knife out because of the less popular Molle system until the leather version went on sale for $29.99.  Maybe the stainless isn't that popular?  Or, maybe they are redesigning this knife.  My ONLY complaint with it is that there isn't too much to stop your hand from slipping onto the blade, however, this knife was not made for thrusting forward with it.  To me these are great stash knives and that is why I am completely fine with the stainless version.  However, if they carbon steel version goes on sale, I would pickup one or two of those as well.  I still like the Campanion and think it is a perfect backpup knive.  

There's a good chance this deal is a scam guys.  There's a lengthy thread on ARFCOM on this exact model...shipping out of China and never showing up.

I'm hoping it's not, but just a heads up...  

My tracking info shows it's originating out of China

On 1/23/2020 at 8:47 AM, fatty said:

Is the carbon steel version significantly better than the 14c28n on this stainless model?  I think I read somewhere that 14c28n was Mora's higher end variety

Both good and have pluses and minuses.   The stainless will still spark a fire with a ferrocerium rod so there is that.  But stainless won't make a spark with a piece of flint.  The carbon steel is easier to sharpen, especially on the fly.  The stainless will hold an edge longer, but is harder to sharpen, especially in the field.  And, the stainless is more rust-resistant and won't require as much maintenance, especially if you are going to toss it in a kit somewhere and leave it.   As far as which is better, I would have picked up one of each if they were the same price.  If you are a bushcrafter, then the allure of full-tang carbon steel would be appealing.  If you have a practical approach, and/or if you live in wet conditions and/or near the ocean, or if you are going out in snow, etc. then maybe the stainless would shine.  For me the price is what caught my interest...   Ten dollars more than a Campanion, thicker blade, more versatile carry, better design of grips, indestructable handle (for the most part), it is a no brainer.  And, I like the nicer blade contour.    Is it thee knife, no.  It is a tool and it works well.    I think you would be happy with either one, especially at $25.   Other than the blade thickness a standard Mora Campanion for around $16 will do quite a bit, too.  I like the grip of the Garberg much better, though, and I like the newer versatile sheath system.  

21 hours ago, fatty said:

There's a good chance this deal is a scam guys.  There's a lengthy thread on ARFCOM on this exact model...shipping out of China and never showing up.

I'm hoping it's not, but jIust a heads up...  

My tracking info shows it's originating out of China

If your order comes in please update.  Maybe we will get some cheap Chinese knockoffs.   Looks like a scam.

I am sure that a phone call to Amazon will refund money.  Shame, I was looking forward to the knife.   Even though it is an awesome knife and loved by many, especially the carbon steel variety, I'm not sure if I would pay full price for one, and if I did, I would probably opt for the Carbon Steel one.  

I would have thought Amazon would screen its vendors, better.   I will be very cautious ordering from a 3rd party in the future.  

Whoever has placed an order, have you received tracking info yet? 

Got an update today and it shows the package has reached Los Angeles, and should get to my door on Thursday...  Really hoping this is legit.  

Wednesday night...7 days after I ordered. All I see on Amazon is that USPS tracking was issued, but the post office hasn't received the package.  hmmm, it's supposed to be delivered Friday.

I'd also like to hear from others.

I've been copy and pasting the tracking # to USPS.com which didn't show any info for several days.  if the tracking starts with LW and ends with CN, it's probably coming out of Chengdu China... 

I'll let you know if mine actually comes tomorrow. 

It is undoubtedly a scam.   At least Amazon has an A to Z protection.   I am sorry to all that I posted this.  

Nice glad it was resolved for you quickly. 

My tracked package has been tours all around CA when it's supposed to be out for delivery today.  Still have some hope for this awesome little knife but if not, no biggie.  Got my eye on a bunch of fixed blades from bladehq.com