Downtownv

Police: Man accidentally shoots, critically injures himself in Hackensack

Police: Man accidentally shoots, critically injures himself in Hackensack

http://newjersey.news12.com/story/41601068/police-man-accidentally-shoots-critically-injures-himself-in-hackensack

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 5:23 AM EST Updated: Jan 23, 2020 5:23 AM EST

Authorities say a man from Hackensack accidentally shot and critically injured himself when he put his .45-caliber handgun on a nightstand in his home and it discharged.

According to police, the 57-year-old man was about to go to sleep Wednesday around 12:20 a.m. when the shooting occurred.

Police say his wife called 911 and emergency responders found the man had been shot in the abdomen, causing undisclosed injuries to his internal organs.

The man's name has not been released.

Authorities say the shooting did not appear to be suspicious and they don't believe foul play was involved.

No other injuries were reported in the incident.

AP wire services helped contribute to this report.

http://newjersey.news12.com/story/41601068/police-man-accidentally-shoots-critically-injures-himself-in-hackensack

50 minutes ago, Downtownv said:

And maybe, keep your Fat finger off the Trigger!

It doesn’t make any sense to me to place a it facing me in the night stand. Let alone cocked and unlocked on a 1911.

obviously a lesson on what not to do. Hope the dude makes a full recovery .

But sheesh :facepalm:

Was it a 1911?  I didn't see that in the link.   If so, the grip safety should have provided another (apparently insufficient) line of defense against an accident like this.   If a plastic fantastic striker fired pistol, the trigger safety should have done the same.  

But having N safeties won't protect you if you make N+1 mistakes...

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, SmittyMHS said:

I don't buy any of it. Think about how you'd put any hand gun down. Was he holding it by the barrel?  I'm thinking someone else was holding it. Maybe playing a stupid game and he won the prize.

Maybe.

I can't figure out the logistics either, but he could have been doing something stupid like shoving it around to make room in the drawer, grabbing it when it slipped/dropped, who knows...

19 hours ago, PK90 said:

The gun accidentally went off. It's not the husband's or wife's fault.

IT"S THE GUN"S FAULT!!!

Hey, don’t blame the gun. He dindu nuffin.  He was just minding his own business studying for the GRE’s when accosted by the police.