Downtownv

Two Arrested, Two Guns Recovered In Gun Controlled NJ

Get ready for a BIG SURPRISE!

Posted at 8:00 pm on January 22, 2020 by Tom Knighton

The state of New Jersey has a lot of gun control. In fact, it’s one of the most gun controlled states in the country. Like California and Illinois, it often seems like the state has never heard a gun control proposal it didn’t like.

Yet despite all that gun control, New Jersey has a problem with so-called gun violence.

Recently a couple of people were arrested and a couple of guns recovered in the gun control state.

Jersey City police responding the Booker T. Washington housing complex at 6:20 p.m. on a complaint of drug dealing approached a 17-year-old boy who then fled, Jersey City spokeswoman Kimberly Wallace-Scalcione said.

Police quickly apprehended the teen, who was charged with possession of a firearm by a minor, possession of prohibited weapon, unlawful possession of a handgun, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and resisting arrest.

At 11:40 p.m., police arrested 19-year-old Darby Shirden in the area of Fulton and Rose avenues after he fled from police, said Wallace-Scalcione, who noted that the handgun Shirden discarded during the chase was recovered.

So we have two people, both too young to purchase a handgun, in possession of handguns in one of the most gun controlled states in the nation.

I mean, it’s almost like gun control doesn’t work or something.

New Jersey gun control voices would likely chime out about how this is all the fault of other states that don’t have tight gun control laws. Governor Phil Murphy threatened to shame those states in an effort to push them to do what he wanted them to.

Obviously, I don’t buy that.

First, these two couldn’t have purchased their guns anywhere legally. They’re both under the age of 21. That’s the federally mandated age limit for purchasing a firearm. That means these guns were likely black market guns. I hate to break it to you, but black market guns are usually stolen guns, meaning no amount of gun control is going to stop the flow of guns there.

Yet will anyone look at this and recognize that maybe, just maybe, there are bigger problems at play than access to guns, especially since these people–one not even old enough to vote–are walking around with guns while the state heavily restricts everyone else from lawfully doing so?

The criminals aren’t obeying those laws, so tell me again how shall issue laws are enabling criminals? Tell me again how constitutional carry doesn’t help the law-abiding citizens?

I don’t care how many times I say it; some simply won’t get it. The criminals will not obey the gun laws laid down at any level of government. As a result, only the law-abiding citizens who may have been threatened by these two would be disarmed. They were set to be oppressed by the tyranny of the thug, a real problem in so many of our American cities governed by gun control enthusiasts; people who often have private security for themselves and their families.

New Jersey’s gun control laws failed, just as all gun control laws fail. It’s too bad they’ll never acknowledge that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Downtownv said:

Phil Murphy threatened to shame those states in an effort to push them to do what he wanted them to.

I never understood the whole shaming threat.    If Phil Murphy decided to shame any aspect of my public or private life, I'd only take it as a sure sign that I was doing something right.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 10X said:

I never understood the whole shaming threat.    If Phil Murphy decided to shame any aspect of my public or private life, I'd only take it as a sure sign that I was doing something right.

It would be him that gets shamed, for pissing on the US Constitution!

• Like 1

Just read today about how a felon was arrested for threatening another person by pointing a loaded gun at them. One month after being released from prison for aggravated assault. He's facing a whole year on federal charges. One single year for a felon illegally possessing a weapon and threatening someone with it.

But shooting at the range at paper targets with a so-called assault weapon gets you 5 years (3 served then probation). Sounds like politicians on every level have their priorities messed up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Crazy 1

1 hour ago, Greenday said:

Just read today about how a felon was arrested for threatening another person by pointing a loaded gun at them. One month after being released from prison for aggravated assault. He's facing a whole year on federal charges. One single year for a felon illegally possessing a weapon and threatening someone with it.

But shooting at the range at paper targets with a so-called assault weapon gets you 5 years (3 served then probation). Sounds like politicians on every level have their priorities messed up.

Do you have a link? I'm curious if the upstanding felon was out on bail or finished his (likely shortened) sentence. 

• Like 1

Credible studies show that most gun crimes are committed by ex-felons, and about half of those cases are while the felon is still on parole from the previous felony. So, this situation described is not the least bit unusual - it's the "norm". I'm guessing most street cops know that just by merit of their jobs - arresting the same "frequent flyers" over and over again. I would also imagine that this general pattern of repeat offenders is only going to escalate with the new focus on 1) reducing prison populations and 2) doing away with bail. We are watching some epically stupid policies being pushed....

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I recall some recent discussions on this forum abort how some individuals in New Jersey get the mandatory minimum and some don't. I cant go into details for confidentiality reasons, but i know of an individual who illegally purchased a gun in......gulp....yes....New Jersey and was caught.  I am pretty sure he met the criteria for unlawful posession of a firearm with intent to use for unlawful purposes, which i believe is a mandatory minimum of 10 years in prison.  This happened about 3 years ago and i cant find him on the department of corrections website.  He is also not in the county jail the last time i looked, so, it appears that equal treatment under the law is a joke in this state.

• Like 1

I'm going to print those articles and send them, along with another set of 2A sanctuary petitions, to my county freeholders.  I was at the public meeting earlier this month when they heard people speak in favor for the petitions, but the chairman was not there so they postponed voting until next month.  Here is more recent evidence that gun control only disarms law abiding citizens. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Downtownv said:

And Liberal Judges that allow this pattern.

All the laws are already on the books but simply not being applied.

It's a weak federal law that is weak because Republicans refuse to do any punishments involving guns.

• Confused 1
  • FacePalm 2
  • Disagree 1

18 minutes ago, Greenday said:

It's a weak federal law that is weak because Republicans refuse to do any punishments involving guns.

WTF are u talking about?

STATE Rights, which we have in NJ ,state "Use a Gun in a Crime, MANDATORY 5 years PLUS the charges for the crime. Illegal gun possession has a Mandatory  time as well as a Convicted Felon in possession of a firearm. So that's 3 stacked sentences PLUS the Crime.

And it is enforced by??????????

This has NOTHNG to do with the Federal Government.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greenday said:

I didn't realize Murphy was a Republican:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/nj-governor-sees-guns-not-shooters-early-prison-release-as-the-problem

• FacePalm 1

...charged with possession of a firearm by a minor, possession of prohibited weapon, unlawful possession of a handgun, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose...

And if I were on that jury, if it ever were to go to trial, I would refuse to convict on every one of the firearms charges. 

Its never unlawful for anyone to simply be in possession of a firearm. 

With the possible exception of "possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose".  This one is new to me but it sounds like pre-crime, which I would also throw out. 

On 2/10/2020 at 2:03 PM, deerpark said:

And if I were on that jury, if it ever were to go to trial, I would refuse to convict on every one of the firearms charges. 

Its never unlawful for anyone to simply be in possession of a firearm. 

With the possible exception of "possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose".  This one is new to me but it sounds like pre-crime, which I would also throw out. 

You sound like a flaming liberal!  All of those charges are worthy of prosecution and jail time.  You best get your priorities in order.  He is a MINOR!  Cant you read?  Little pussy assed minors roaming the streets with illegal guns ARE THE ENTIRE PROBLEM.  Get it yet?  Its because of these little punks that WE get all the new gun laws!  Idiot!

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Tunaman said:

You sound like a flaming liberal!  All of those charges are worthy of prosecution and jail time.  You best get your priorities in order.  He is a MINOR!  Cant you read?  Little pussy assed minors roaming the streets with illegal guns ARE THE ENTIRE PROBLEM.  Get it yet?  Its because of these little punks that WE get all the new gun laws!  Idiot!

Youre a PUNK!

Also, get off my lawn.

Youre a Fudd.

I'm a Second Amendment purist.

I'll reiterate. 

Theres no such thing as an "illegal" gun.  Stolen gun, yes.  "Illegal" gun, no. 

Its NEVER a crime for ANYONE to simply be armed.  Thats every human being's right. 

If you believe the Left when they tell you that theyre passing anti-2A laws because they want to reduce crime, then youre probably retarded.   

You know whats even funnier about you.  You think that the Left sees a difference between the dudes in this article and any other gun owner. 

The ENTIRE PROBLEM is that we have been stripped of our right to self defense.  Thats the entire problem. 

Heres some history for you: there were boys as young as 12 and 13 fighting in the Revolution. 

An oh yah, Shall Not Be Infringed.  <--- Read this until it sinks in. 

So yah, not if, but when I'm on a jury and have the opportunity to nullify gun laws, I will sit there for a year if I have to and hang that jury. 

Based on this article alone, I would not let that jury find any one of them guilty on the firearms related charges.

Seriously, you need to wake up.

Just an FYI, all gun laws are infringements. 

lDUrOUV.jpg