AlDente67

Coins all over the place

(caveat: all coinage is protected by guard dogs and claymores)

Have a bunch of coins collected from pocket change over the years.  Just regular change, nothing collectable.  Would like to transform into paper and stick it in the vault.  Last time I did this, I had a cheapy coin counter where you had to load up a sleeve of pennies, then write your account number on every sleeve and tote them all to the local bank for deposit.  The damn machine usually shorted the count by 2 or 3 pennies.  All in all, a major hassle, and the teller would groan in frustration at the thought of processing all that chump change..  So the Wally World has a Coinstar, which makes it easier once you get the 100 pound container inside and dump it.  But now Coinstar wants 12% off the top as a service fee.  Used to be 9% not long ago.  Pretty steep.

What would you do?  

2 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

I haven’t verified myself, but I’ve heard from family that the coinstar machines give you an option to redeem for an amazon gift card with ZERO fee.

True. Other cards also. I think I got a Lowes once.

I just spend coins as I get them.   Since high school, I've probably averaged $1-$1.50 in change in my pocket.   Not enough to be an annoyance, and if you use it for purchases, it never builds up beyond that.

Which doesn't help the OP with his question, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Golf battery said:

They got rid of them cause they got sued for ripping people off. 

Any machine will make mistakes. If I bring in $300 in coins and the machine says $299.02 I consider that a convenience fee. If you think the coinstar machines are 100% accurate I've got a bridge to sell you. No one has sued Coinstar yet and If they have Coinstar settled.

I opened my TD Bank account just for the coin counting machine. I've kept it because they are convenient and if you wrap the coins they take them and you don't have to put your account number on them.

I've used the Coinstar machines too but I get the gift card. No way I'm paying a fee.

On 1/24/2020 at 2:49 PM, CMJeepster said:

Last time I went to mine to do the coin machine, they told me that they were all removed.

They were removed because officially because they required a lot of service. Unofficially because  they were set up to short customers.  I've never met a machine that was accurate. Best I ever saw was ~7% error and it's ALWAYS under-counting. 

Wherever you have a bank account should accept rolled coins as a deposit. 

My account just jams them into a roll gauge and if it fits right, they take it. If it doesn't they give it back and tell you to redo it. I usually go through the process whenever it looks like I have ~$300 or more in change. and the hard part is sorting and rolling them. I've got a hand crank coin sorter. Cost less than the last mis-count by a bank. I'm usually in and out of the bank in about 15 minutes. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

They were removed because officially because they required a lot of service. Unofficially because  they were set up to short customers.  I've never met a machine that was accurate. Best I ever saw was ~7% error and it's ALWAYS under-counting. 

Wherever you have a bank account should accept rolled coins as a deposit. 

My account just jams them into a roll gauge and if it fits right, they take it. If it doesn't they give it back and tell you to redo it. I usually go through the process whenever it looks like I have ~$300 or more in change. and the hard part is sorting and rolling them. I've got a hand crank coin sorter. Cost less than the last mis-count by a bank. I'm usually in and out of the bank in about 15 minutes. 

I sooo want to edit this to Segway into @AlDente67 rectal change problem