Displaced Texan

Kobe Bryant dead...

31 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

He's referring to Autorotation.

I know, I was referring to Handyman's comment about falling 1000 feet, autorotation or not, hit the ground hard enough and you're dead. I don't think autorotation was a factor in this crash. I appears they might have flew into the mountain or ground at high speed. There have been situations where people die in autorotation crashes too..

12 hours ago, Handyman said:

Very sad. 

But from an aerodynamic perspective, the minute a helicopter leaves the ground, it isn't trying to do anything except crash.

Kinda.  My favorite description of a helicopter is that it is a 'swirling mass of metal fatigue surrounding an oil leak'.

• Agree 2

The television and radio media circus attention after Koby Bryant’s unfortunate death from that helicopter crash, is absolutely ridiculous and over the top!   It just goes to show just how much our society has devolved to today and what/who it really values:  idol worship of celebrities!   These celebrities include professional athletes and film/television actors, pop musicians, etc, some who have used their platform for beneficial causes, while others are just intoxicated by the adulation of the masses and sometimes do not handle all of that attention very well. While Bryant's death was certainly sad, either ignoring or worse yet, the revisionist history about his sexual assault allegation, as well as the sudden glorification of him as a person, placing him on some silly high pedestal, is totally out of control.

He was a very talented professional basketball player who also helped kids...  all-in-all, better than many folks.  But anyone paying attention realizes that the mainstream media just wants to get more clicks, eyeballs and ratings by sensationalizing his death and discussing it ad nauseam.  Worse yet are the other celebrities who are blatantly outdoing each other to fawn over Bryant, making any historical contact with him into some important moment in their lives and then tearfully discussing his passing, for their own benefit, (i.e. Ellen Degeneres and Jimmy Fallon, etc.)....  
Enough already!

AVB-AMG

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, AVB-AMG said:

The media circus attention post Koby Bryant’s unfortunate death from that helicopter crash, is absolutely ridiculous and over the top!   It just goes to show where our society is today and what/who it really values:  celebrities!   Celebrities include professional athletes and film/television actors.  While his death was certainly sad, the revisionist history about his sexual assault and glorification of him as a person is out of control. The media just wants to get more clicks, eyeballs and ratings.  Enough already!

AVB-AMG

That's YOUR media....

• Agree 2
  • FacePalm 1

3 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

The media circus attention post Koby Bryant’s unfortunate death from that helicopter crash, is absolutely ridiculous and over the top!   It just goes to show where our society is today and what/who it really values:  celebrities!  

And it's all your buddies controlling the Liberal media doing it. Are you finally waking up?

• FacePalm 1

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

And it's all your buddies controlling the Liberal media doing it. Are you finally waking up?

2 hours ago, W2MC said:

That's YOUR media....

Oh, come'on, guys! Has AVB touted actual friends who work in the media... like, ever? As far as I recall, he hasn't. I agree with his general point that the coverage of celebrities by the press is over-the-top. I mean, how else could one possibly explain the popularity of the vapid Kardashian clan?  My attitude is: why does anyone care about famous people whose lives don't impact them? People have always placed too much emphasis on celebrities, whether it be sports figures, Hollywood stars, musicians, etc. But, it's not relegated to a liberal media or even to the U.S. media. You should see the way they cover Bollywood stars in India... or the obsession in the London press ever since Prince Harry got engaged (later married) to Meghan Markle. Celebrity gossip is a human, global phenomena --- I just happen to think it's damn silly. In this case, it was also tasteless, because it took so long to even cover the OTHER people on the flight - making it seem like their deaths didn't even matter. Poorly handled.

1 hour ago, kc17 said:

I like it when they eat their own. Google "felicia sonmez"

Too funny! I was actually logging on to post about exactly this situation. For those too busy to google, Felicia is a political reporter for the Washington Post (and apparently a survivor of a sexual attack at one point in her past). After Kobe's death, with the fawning coverage, she sent out a tweet that linked to coverage about Kobe's own very mixed past (as you probably recall, accused of a sexual assault, Kobe first said it was consensual, then settled out of court along with a public apology for his actions that day, saying he could understand how she could have seen his actions differently than he did). 

“Any public figure is worth remembering in their totality,” she tweeted Sunday, “even if that public figure is beloved and that totality unsettling.” Seems fair enough, right? I mean, after all, it was fact-based. Well, the Washington Post SUSPENDED her... it has caused an uproar in the WP newsroom and on social media, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

.....  My attitude is: why does anyone care about famous people whose lives don't impact them? People have always placed too much emphasis on celebrities, whether it be sports figures, Hollywood stars, musicians, etc. ........

.....In this case, it was also tasteless, because it took so long to even cover the OTHER people on the flight - making it seem like their deaths didn't even matter. Poorly handled.

Once again Mrs. Peel nails it perfectly.

Someone brought Kobe up to me yesterday, I gave him a blank stare. He says, "I guess you don't follow the news?"; I reply "No, I do, I know he died and who he is, I just don't see how it impacts my life. Did you know him? If so, my condolences."

The volunteer firefighter that gets out of bed at 2am answering the call for aid and going into horrific conditions deserves the respect and adoration celebrities are given, not the other way around. That is just one example, I'm not intentionally leaving out the scores of other groups of people that are much more valuable in a real way to society.

I have seen Kobe was active in charities, and it is likely there will be a loss felt in that regard. I just don't understand the rest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

The television and radio media circus attention after Koby Bryant’s unfortunate death from that helicopter crash...

Whew, I half thought you were going to accuse Trump of shooting down the helicopter to distract from the big impeachment. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Oh, come'on, guys! Has AVB touted actual friends who work in the media... like, ever? As far as I recall, he hasn't. I agree with his general point that the coverage of celebrities by the press is over-the-top. I mean, how else could one possibly explain the popularity of the vapid Kardashian clan?  My attitude is: why does anyone care about famous people whose lives don't impact them? People have always placed too much emphasis on celebrities, whether it be sports figures, Hollywood stars, musicians, etc. But, it's not relegated to a liberal media or even to the U.S. media. You should see the way they cover Bollywood stars in India... or the obsession in the London press ever since Prince Harry got engaged (later married) to Meghan Markle. Celebrity gossip is a human, global phenomena --- I just happen to think it's damn silly. In this case, it was also tasteless, because it took so long to even cover the OTHER people on the flight - making it seem like their deaths didn't even matter. Poorly handled.

Too funny! I was actually logging on to post about exactly this situation. For those too busy to google, Felicia is a political reporter for the Washington Post (and apparently a survivor of a sexual attack at one point in her past). After Kobe's death, with the fawning coverage, she sent out a tweet that linked to coverage about Kobe's own very mixed past (as you probably recall, accused of a sexual assault, Kobe first said it was consensual, then settled out of court along with a public apology for his actions that day, saying he could understand how she could have seen his actions differently than he did). 

“Any public figure is worth remembering in their totality,” she tweeted Sunday, “even if that public figure is beloved and that totality unsettling.” Seems fair enough, right? I mean, after all, it was fact-based. Well, the Washington Post SUSPENDED her... it has caused an uproar in the WP newsroom and on social media, etc. 

Mrs. Peel and AVB have a point.  Before the internet, you would read such trash and/or tragedies in the National Enquirer and the Midnight Globe, to name two.  Those "rags" are pretty much gone now (or not worth talking anymore) and have been replaced by YouTube videos, on-line news outlets, and similar sources.  And from the time the incident happens to the time until the time it goes on line in whatever form, it is almost instantaneous.  And, of course, the more "clicks", the better for the person posting.

On 1/26/2020 at 8:49 PM, Zeke said:

Auto rotate... auto gyro 

After engine failure, sure.   .. But flying into the side of a hillside in near zero visibility pretty much takes using the energy in the windmilling rotor to decelerate out of the equation.

The pilot requested and was granted a Special VFR clearance that required he maintain visual contact with the ground.  Quite a bit different than SVFR in an airplane.  He apparently lost visual contact with the ground, then flew into it.

I suspect he didn’t consider that the decisions he was making looked like the beginning of an NTSB accident report.

14 hours ago, Kevin125 said:

After engine failure, sure.   .. But flying into the side of a hillside in near zero visibility pretty much takes using the energy in the windmilling rotor to decelerate out of the equation.

The pilot requested and was granted a Special VFR clearance that required he maintain visual contact with the ground.  Quite a bit different than SVFR in an airplane.  He apparently lost visual contact with the ground, then flew into it.

I suspect he didn’t consider that the decisions he was making looked like the beginning of an NTSB accident report.

I was not aware he scudd missile’d.

On 1/27/2020 at 9:25 AM, 10X said:

Kinda.  My favorite description of a helicopter is that it is a 'swirling mass of metal fatigue surrounding an oil leak'.

One of my college roomies ws in the National Guard training program as a helo pilot.  He mentioned to me that a helicopter is "10,000 parts trying to separate from each other"

oh my.