eyeinstine

.22 CB short/long's in model 60

I was digging deep in the bottom of the gun cabinet and came up with an old pack of CCI CB Shorts.. forgot i had em, only about 15 left.. I vaguely recall shooting them often from the bathroom windown when i was young and living home.. Backyard plinking at its best!

to age them, consider the 4.19$ price tag from Sportsmens Center on the package.. :lol:

Any reason not to shoot CB Shorts from a Model 60 semiauto? I know they wont cycle; i did manually load one at a time and took a few backayrd shots yesterday. Seemed to work fine. My thoughts are, becuase they are shorter than a .22LR, is there a danger of the bullets traveling that short space before entering the barrel where a .22LR 's would initially start from?

And any issues from manually cycling CB Longs in this same gun?

1 hour ago, eyeinstine said:

And any issues from manually cycling CB Longs in this same gun?

They will shoot just fine, feeding is no problem because of tube mag, chambering is iffy.  No danger, as long as you manually cycle the action.  Have fun, right up to the point it misfeeds or FTEs and you have to break out the tool box to clear the jam.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

They will shoot just fine, feeding is no problem because of tube mag, chambering is iffy.  No danger, as long as you manually cycle the action.  Have fun, right up to the point it misfeeds or FTEs and you have to break out the tool box to clear the jam.

Kinda what i assumed as far as the LR's go.. Just manually cycle watching for jam ups..

Whats the thoughts on the Shorts chambering and firing from a LR gun only?  I ran a few manually through the Model 60 and seemed to work fine and accurate... Pinged the steel plate at about 50 yards from the back deck... :p  Gun was sighted in at 75 yards with LR, so the CB shorts seem to be right on at 50..

6 minutes ago, eyeinstine said:

Whats the thoughts on the Shorts chambering and firing from a LR gun only? 

My thoughts are, if a gun is designed specifically for 22lr, then just shoot 22lr.  Anything else just adds complications and will be marginally functional.  If you really wanna shoot those shorts and CBs, get yerself a lever gun  More fun than two barrels of monkeys..

9 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

My thoughts are, if a gun is designed specifically for 22lr, then just shoot 22lr.  Anything else just adds complications and will be marginally functional.  If you really wanna shoot those shorts and CBs, get yerself a lever gun  More fun than two barrels of monkeys..

But i like living life on the edge! :p

i do have my Marlin 39M, just changed out scopes and havnt had the chance to zero it in yet..  shooting the short CB's through the Model 60 was more a curiosity than a neccessicity.  Something to spark some gun conversation around here. been kinda dull.. Nothing but politics and coronavirus discussions as of late...

On 1/30/2020 at 3:50 PM, SJ ED said:

CB shorts are a blast - and really quiet when shot from a rifle.  

just too convenient quiet! Ive been plinking off the back porch every day for a week.. lol

Had to place up a midway order for a bunch more anlong with some other stuff..

On 1/27/2020 at 10:21 PM, eyeinstine said:

Kinda what i assumed as far as the LR's go.. Just manually cycle watching for jam ups..

Whats the thoughts on the Shorts chambering and firing from a LR gun only?  I ran a few manually through the Model 60 and seemed to work fine and accurate... Pinged the steel plate at about 50 yards from the back deck... :p  Gun was sighted in at 75 yards with LR, so the CB shorts seem to be right on at 50..

Shorts will work fine, and so will CB caps, manually cycled of course.  Where semi's tend to not chamber is using .22 Shot shell cartridges.  They just don't like the nose on them things.

Back in the day, Marlin, Remington & Winchester all made pump action .22's marked on the barrel, ".22 Shorts, Longs, or Long Rifle cartridges".  They all fed interchangeably in gun that are now 100 years old! 

7 hours ago, Down South said:

My Remington 550-1 eats up CCI CB shorts as fast as I can pull the trigger , holds about 20 of them .

Nice! Had to look that one up. Didnt know about that model, but ill surely keep an open eye for one to pop up some where along the way. :good:

2 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

Shorts will work fine, and so will CB caps, manually cycled of course.  Where semi's tend to not chamber is using .22 Shot shell cartridges.  They just don't like the nose on them things.

Back in the day, Marlin, Remington & Winchester all made pump action .22's marked on the barrel, ".22 Shorts, Longs, or Long Rifle cartridges".  They all fed interchangeably in gun that are now 100 years old! 

Just about used up all the CB shorts i had, manually cycle through the Model 60. Its a pain in the ass loading and cycling one at a time though as you cant laod up shorts in the .22LR only gun, it tries loading 1&1/2 rounds at a time and that just doesnt work! lol  

I just received my order today from midway and picked up some CCI CB Longs so i can load up, and manually cycle like normal. Shot a few today and they are just as quiet and sound exactly the same as CB shorts and the same 29 grain bullet and traveling 710 fps..  I also picked up CCI .22LR's that are labeled just as "Quiet Semi-Auto .22". They are a 45 grain bullet with a claimed 835 fps. I havent shot them yet to see just how quiet they are or if they do indeed cycle through the Model 60. Im thinking these are standard velocity rounds with a 45 grain bullet to slow it down 200 fps making very subsonic.. I look forward to shooting a few rounds and seeing just how quiet they are..

Now i just need to find some time to get to the range to sight in the new scope on my Marlin Golden 39M lever gun, so none of this autoloader issues really matter! Longs, Shorts, and what ever else i can stuff in the tube will shoot flawlessly through this 39M.