124gr9mm

Can't handle gun IN A GUN SHOP without showing FID card??

Had  Heritage guild tell me that I had to leave my fid on the counter that it was law. I said show me the law the guy just looked puzzled with no answer. Had them also tell me that I had to sign their book when I bought pistol ammo. They said it was the law. They always used the excuse that the state police required it. Also said if I bought a gun somewhere else they charge $100 for the transfer. Needless to say I walked out and have never been back. If it is store policy that is fine , just don’t make up laws and say that they are true.

Lets be honest. The reasons a gun store wont let a person without an FID handle a firearm are the following.

1. Stops the sales person from wasting time with a person who was bored while he waits for his reservation for dinner and thinks going to a gun store and playing with stuff is a good waste of time.

2. Stops people from out of state who are just passing though (New Yorkers) want wanting to see a gun store which they hardly see in the  five boros.

3. The person might not even be prohibited and will never own a firearm so why bother wasting someones time.

Its really similar to a Car showroom not wanting to waste time time with a 16yo who's getting his Lic in 6 months from playing in the cars and taking up the sales persons time.

We usually handle it slightly different.... We have had a few people come in without FID cards... We are do answer questions they have but when they start wanting to see firearms i usually tell them You are a few steps away form that....You need to get your FID first then we would be happy to spend whatever time you need to choose your first gun.

The key is to not be a dick.... You can give people the time without wasting it by just multitasking..

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I always felt like I'm being bent over by NJ gun laws as it is. When I go into what I consider a friendly place like a gun shop that understands what hoops we have to jump through just to purchase (NOT TO CARRY) than that friendly place starts making up more rules and laws of their own  I won't be back.  Last month I bought a gun in a free state. I rented one, walked over to the sales counter and bought it. All in All it took over an hour not weeks or months like NJ. The last thing NJ needs is more B/S laws. Gun shops should know that. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, remixer said:

Lets be honest. The reasons a gun store wont let a person without an FID handle a firearm are the following.

1. Stops the sales person from wasting time with a person who was bored while he waits for his reservation for dinner and thinks going to a gun store and playing with stuff is a good waste of time.

2. Stops people from out of state who are just passing though (New Yorkers) want wanting to see a gun store which they hardly see in the  five boros.

3. The person might not even be prohibited and will never own a firearm so why bother wasting someones time.

Its really similar to a Car showroom not wanting to waste time time with a 16yo who's getting his Lic in 6 months from playing in the cars and taking up the sales persons time.

We usually handle it slightly different.... We have had a few people come in without FID cards... We are do answer questions they have but when they start wanting to see firearms i usually tell them You are a few steps away form that....You need to get your FID first then we would be happy to spend whatever time you need to choose your first gun.

The key is to not be a dick.... You can give people the time without wasting it by just multitasking..

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

ALL DAY LONG!

Being nice and answering questions is superior customer service.  I pay a little extra for that and I'm fine with it.  Most do the same.

When I ran my photo studio I used to ask prospective customers that interviewed me if they wanted something to drink:  Coffee, tea, soda, wine, beer, sparkling water.  Yes, I had it all, and YES I wrote it all off!  Once you hand someone a comp, a part of them is now connected to you.  So they feel like they OWE you some business (in various intensities depending upon the person, and if food is also included).  Easiest way to keep someone BUYING in your store is to FEED THEM so I had pizzas & salads delivered all the time.  You bought a rifle, YOU WANT A SCOPE FOR THAT?  Always ASK FOR THE FRIES just like McDonald's!

Giving a prospective client something to drink means they might have to use the restroom.  Guess where I hung sample pictures, testimonials, and industry awards & accolades in frames?  You guessed it---the RESTROOM!  For it is a SILENT SALESMAN!  We used nice hand soap & paper towels and cleaned it several times a week.  I've actually had folks compliment my restroom and ASK TO BOOK as soon as they exited it....

Sales is a psychological union between seller & buyer.  And Mom & Pop's that wanna survive & thrive need to figure THAT out :) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Most people shopping aren't there to eat or drink your stuff...….at least no one I know of, my time is too valuable to sit and BS with someone I don't know......that's not sales, that's schmoozing your potential clients and not very professional...maybe that's why "when I ran my".....Gee your crapper is clean.....I'd be out the door in a heart beat.....see ya.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, xXxplosive said:

GFH......there's another beauty…..guy has a CCL, no LEO, sells training.... just connected.

He is a beauty all right.  Done more for the 2A community that you ever would or could.  If you dont know the facts you should keep your mouth shut.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

Just now, Tunaman said:

He is a beauty all right.  Done more for the 2A community that you ever would or could.  If you dont know the facts you should keep your mouth shut.

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^     You beat me to it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

23 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

Most people shopping aren't there to eat or drink your stuff...….at least no one I know of, my time is too valuable to sit and BS with someone I don't know......that's not sales, that's schmoozing your potential clients and not very professional...maybe that's why "when I ran my".....Gee your crapper is clean.....I'd be out the door in a heart beat.....see ya.

You & I seem to never quite hit it off.  Perhaps I'm too ????? for you?  Whatever.  Your ignorance & arrogance shine through LOUD & CLEAR, as they have always... 

The subject is customer service.  If almost every FFL pays around the same Net-Net for a pistola, what makes the buying experience worth a return trip?  CUSTOMER SERVICE!

What I did worked great, and the ladies LOVED IT!  Don't look now but WOMEN are the fastest growing segment in the gun buying public.  Being nice to them & providing them drinks & snacks along with a clean restroom makes credit card machines SING!

"My time is so valuable I have plenty of it to piss people off & make myself look like a putz"-----xXxplosive

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

It is no business of yours anyway.  You sound like a true liberal.  You were already told the reason but I guess that wasnt good enough for you.

It becomes public knowledge when someone is capitalizing on the community and taking advantage of it's ills here in Jersey at the same time.....you know that.....but that's the way it is here in Jerzy and I guess you support it......shame on you.

Just now, xXxplosive said:

It becomes public knowledge when someone is capitalizing on the community and taking advantage of it's ills here in Jersey at the same time.....you know that.....but that's the way it is here in Jerzy.

Maybe you can put up 10 million dollars and become a smart capitalist too.  Taking advantage of NJ ills?  You have some serious problems with the 2A community around here.  Maybe you shouldnt be part of it anymore...

I remember years ago....I and my brother were teens and looking for an old clunker to rebuild.  We were going around with our mother at different dealers.  Some didn't want to give us the time of day...particularly the younger sales folk. Many of the older guys showed us their "iron" on the lots and chatted/reminised about their first cars.  

Where do you think my folks went when THEY were looking for a car?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, xXxplosive said:

These are just a few of the issues here in Jerzy that we're all subject to except for a few well connected and you support that obviously....better look in the mirror.

I look in the mirror every day and I like what I see.  I dont begrudge people for their successes.  I envy them.  I can only hope to achieve what some others have.  I support their efforts,  not belittle them.  Who do you think is behind the scenes fighting for your rights every day?  Have you sent your ballot in yet?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

….. I guess that makes you part of the problem too, anyone supporting this type of an illicit CCL ….what we are all fighting against here in Jerzy.....the select few......how dumb can you be....omo.

It’s not an illicit CCL.  It’s legal. 

What is illicit are all of the denials to non-prohibited applicants.  Let’s rail against those instead. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

….. I guess that makes you part of the problem too, anyone supporting this type of an illicit CCL ….what we are all fighting against here in Jerzy.....the select few......how dumb can you be....omo.

Yea...like I could give  a rats ass who has one or how he got it..Its none of my business.  Check yourself for the needed credentials.  Obviously you dont possess them.  Who cares.  Fight harder.  I understand your disdain for not being able to get one...I want one too. But I would never put down someone who WAS able to get one...for ANY reason

39 minutes ago, W2MC said:

I remember years ago....I and my brother were teens and looking for an old clunker to rebuild.  We were going around with our mother at different dealers.  Some didn't want to give us the time of day...particularly the younger sales folk. Many of the older guys showed us their "iron" on the lots and chatted/reminised about their first cars.  

Where do you think my folks went when THEY were looking for a car?

the PA Auto Auctions?

:)

33 minutes ago, NickySantoro said:

AFAIK, it has never been a law, just store policy. It was that way many years ago when Navy Arms had a store in Ridgefield and the AHs that own Ramsey Outdoor had the same.

Gone are the days when you could walk into Navy Arms lured by an ad promoting Swedish Mauser's for $70 each. They were stuffed in a bin by the front door. You could sift through and pick out whatever you wanted. 

• Agree 1

Ok, now that is one is off the rails, too. Let's work out the logic of it

Unless the law changed and I missed it, the law doesn't an require an FPID to purchase a pistol.

The law doesn't require an FPID to rent a pistol.

The law doesn't require an FPID to transport a pistol

The law doesn't require an FPID to own a pistol 

And now some store clerk is telling me the law requires me to have an FPID to handle an pistol at a gun store?

GTFO with that BS.

Tell me it's store policy and I'm ok with that. Tell me it's the law and I'm out of there.

But, otoh, NJ does require an FPID to buy pistol ammo, but still.

Edited by WP22
missed a "required" on the second setence
  • Agree 2