124gr9mm

Can't handle gun IN A GUN SHOP without showing FID card??

3 hours ago, W2MC said:

I remember years ago....I and my brother were teens and looking for an old clunker to rebuild.  We were going around with our mother at different dealers.  Some didn't want to give us the time of day...particularly the younger sales folk. Many of the older guys showed us their "iron" on the lots and chatted/reminised about their first cars.  

Where do you think my folks went when THEY were looking for a car?

Where?  Why right back to the sales personnel that treated them RIGHT the first time!

Sales is all about building relationships.  Your example above is excellent in that regard and further proves my points.  

I've actually had customers come to me that were recommended by FOLKS THAT DIDN'T HIRE ME because I was just outside their price range.  These same prospects kept telling their friends "Horror Stories" of piss-poor customer service they received from the "cheaper guy" and were WARNING THEIR FRIENDS NOT TO CHEAP-OUT LIKE THEY DID!

You simply can't buy that type of word-of-mouth advertising.  These "non-clients" got a Christmas Card from me every year, and when another family member needed photography for a popular October Saturday, I got a credit card deposit OVER THE PHONE when they scheduled their appointment to pick out which package they wanted to buy.  The DECISION of WHERE TO BUY was already made....

Relationships.  A slice of pizza, a bottle of water on a hot day, a nice hot chocolate on a cold winter day.  A firm handshake & look them in the eyes.  Or in the case of a FFL, remembering YOU are looking for something hard-to-find, and when it comes in from an estate sale next week, next month or next year, the FFL you have a great RELATIONSHIP with calls you on the phone PRIOR to putting the item on display!

Sales is RELATIONSHIPS!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sniper said:

Shooters always asks before handing over a gun. Personally, I feel it's a nothingburger, life is too short to worry about this type of stuff. Are people this upset when a cashier asks for ID when paying by check?

Everyone should be MORE upset with the fact that Trenton actually makes you get the (unconstitutional) FID in the first place....

Its the nothing burgers of NJ that allowed our rights to be taken from us by life's to short politicians in Trenton.

• Like 1

For someone who doesnt even think we should be required to have an FID in the first place, i will not do business with any store that asks to see permits or FID prior to handling one. 

The practice is purely to discourage people from handling them. 

If they want to ask me if i have one, or a currently valid permit, they are more then welcome and can decided to let me handle it, but making it a strict requirement, AND PLAYING IT AS LAW... man does that burn me good.

You're an FFL, if you don't know the laws you dont' deserve my business anyway, if you're not encouraging me to buy something, why shouldn't i give my money to someone who wants it? 

I spend too much money on guns to deal with this shit. 

Besides, any dumbass can fake a FPID..

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

He is referring to Ant..

LOL. This again. I have no ccl. I have no fid. I have no gun rights. Wake up sunshine. I lost all that shit because of the target on my 2A back. Pathetic. 

• Informative 1

6 hours ago, WP22 said:

Ok, now that is one is off the rails, too. Let's work out the logic of it

Unless the law changed and I missed it, the law doesn't an FPID to purchase a pistol.

The law doesn't require an FPID to rent a pistol.

The law doesn't require an FPID to transport a pistol

The law doesn't require an FPID to own a pistol 

And now some store clerk is telling me the law requires me to have an FPID to handle an pistol at a gun store?

GTFO with that BS.

Tell me it's store policy and I'm ok with that. Tell me it's the law and I'm out of there.

But, otoh, NJ does require an FPID to buy pistol ammo, but still.

Wow, that's interesting.  I have bought six handguns in the past two and a half years at six different gun shops and all of them asked for my driver's license and FPID....and the P2P of course.

@WP22 is correct.  An FID is not a requirement to purchase a hand gun; the P2P is sufficient.  Now, it's generally considered wise to procure an FID at the same time as you file for your first P2P's, as it is a requirement to purchase hand gun ammo or a long gun, at least if not purchasing said at the same time as using the P2P.

41 minutes ago, dilbert1967 said:

Wow, that's interesting.  I have bought six handguns in the past two and a half years at six different gun shops and all of them asked for my driver's license and FPID....and the P2P of course.

Of course they did. Some may not know that little detail. Others think by going above and beyond the law are on the clear should one of the guns they sold gets misused. Honestly, I don't think any NJ FFL will sell you a handgun if you don't have one.

dumbfounded.  I have only been asked for ID once, and that was years ago... And this was way before forum, youtube etc.

I suppose depends on how you "look" the employees may be a tad conservative.

I do know a few FFLs want to save their time and don't want to bother showing you a gun if you can't buy it (mostly during the Obama days), however have not seen that be an issue.

Or just come to PA and play with all the guns you want without being treated like a criminal.

While in NJ, the best case, make relationships with FFLs and once they know you, they don't ask you for ID.

5 hours ago, Maksim said:

Or just come to PA and play with all the guns you want without being treated like a criminal.

Except when an employee at heritage guild refuses to sell you a pistol because you are from NJ. Refused to ship it to one of their locations or any other FFL; couldn't do that, he said.

Looking back, and reading about them,  he did me a solid.

If I'm not mistaken, letting some one put their hands on a firearm that is in your legal care is considered transferring it in our lovely state of laws with twisted interpretations, thus need a fid. Ranges fall under different regulations.

16 minutes ago, fslater said:

If I'm not mistaken, letting some one put their hands on a firearm that is in your legal care is considered transferring it in our lovely state of laws with twisted interpretations, thus need a fid. Ranges fall under different regulations.

Possession of an FPIC or lack thereof gives you no legal exemption with regard to handguns.

1 hour ago, Joseywales said:

When you fill out a P2P form it asks for your NJ ID#. I didn't think you could get a P2P approved without a valid ID card. Has anyone actually got a permit to purchase without having the ID card?

You are correct.  You can't get a P2P if you don't have the FID.

2 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

You are correct.  You can't get a P2P if you don't have the FID.

Sorry, but this is not correct.

You do not have to apply for an FPIC ever and you can still buy handguns. The number on your FPIC and the PtPP forms is your SBI number - a unique identifier that is used for your record at the State Bureau of Identification. It appears on both documents but originates at the SBI. Anyone who has a background check for other reasons also has an SBI number (think school teachers, Scout leaders, etc.)

It is common for FFLs to ask for your FPIC when you use a PtPP, but it is not required by law. All the information they need is on the PtPP.

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

Sorry, but this is not correct.

You do not have to apply for an FPIC ever and you can still buy handguns. The number on your FPIC and the PtPP forms is your SBI number - a unique identifier that is used for your record at the State Bureau of Identification. It appears on both documents but originates at the SBI. Anyone who has a background check for other reasons also has an SBI number (think school teachers, Scout leaders, etc.)

It is common for FFLs to ask for your FPIC when you use a PtPP, but it is not required by law. All the information they need is on the PtPP.

Thanks for this.

All of the FFL's Ive ever used have required FID and matching DL.

• Like 1

SBI numbers are issued to anyone who has been fingerprinted for some reason required by state law- good or bad reason, you will be issued an SBI number.

FPID cards are not required for pistol purchases though I usually ask for it if you have it with you when picking up a handgun.

If I don't know you, I'm going to ask for an FPID card or some other form of ID before showing you a firearm. The reason is if someone decides to make a run for it after I hand them a firearm I'll know who the person is if they get away from me.

12 hours ago, Oakridgefirearms said:

If I don't know you, I'm going to ask for an FPID card or some other form of ID before showing you a firearm. The reason is if someone decides to make a run for it after I hand them a firearm I'll know who the person is if they get away from me.

And if you said this was the reason, while I was standing at your counter, my FID would be on the counter — when the gun shop tells me it’s state law,  I always say “you mean store policy” when they then want to argue I walk away and never return

• Agree 1