124gr9mm

Can't handle gun IN A GUN SHOP without showing FID card??

Is this actually a "law" or is it a CYA measure that gun shops have in place.

I went into Reloaderz so my teenager and I could check out the new Glock 44 and compare it to other .22 pistol's for sale.  I had shot it before but my teenager had not, and since he'll be the primary user we wanted to be sure about comfort/fit/handling before buying.

I was expecting the girl behind the counter to ask me for my ID (she did) when I asked to look at the pistols, but when I went to hand it to my teen she said that he needed a FID to handle the gun.  I pressed her for more detail and she said "it's against the law for him to handle it without a NJ FID card".

I asked her why I could turn around and go into the range and have my teen SHOOT the gun with live ammo, but not couldn't hold it unloaded?

No answer.  Just saying that NJ "laws" are really crazy and complicated.

I'm not buying a gun there (obviously) and the more I go in the less I like it.

I'm assuming the FID card thing is the norm in NJ now????

/rant

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago at sportsman Rendevouz in Flemington.  Walked in there to check out what they had and was told that NJ law prohibits the handling of a handgun without and FID card.  When I said I’ve never heard that before and could they show me where it states this, the older lady told me that she didn’t have time to educate me and if I didn’t have one she would show me any guns.

i promptly took out my FID card waved it at her and said...well I don’t have time to spend my money in a shop that’s this rude.  Never went back in and now they’re gone.

moral to my point...stupidity is everywhere and yes, it seems like most shops are now adopting the...no FID no handling guns.  Heritage. TTC, and the shop in Union, forget the name, do it

• Like 1

Its more of a company policy.  If a person has no FID "most" stores including myself will not hand them a firearm. There are multiple reasons for this.... If a person with an FID wants brings another person in IE Son, Daughter Wife etc etc we have no issues allowing them to handle the firearm if the person holding the FID asks.  Its common for a dad or mom to bring a kid in to see if a firearm is comfortable for them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, RTSP1 said:

To the best of our knowledge it is not “Law”. RTSP changed that requirement several years ago, but we do still ask for ID (FID, DL or PP) as a precaution to passing a firearm across the counter. 

19 minutes ago, gunforhire said:

What Pete said!

Thanks both for the quick replies.  I appreciate not wanting to hand guns to someone without some form of ID.

Would my teenager have been able to handle the pistols at your places?

10 minutes ago, remixer said:

Its more of a company policy.  If a person has no FID "most" stores including myself will not hand them a firearm. There are multiple reasons for this.... If a person with an FID wants brings another person in IE Son, Daughter Wife etc etc we have no issues allowing them to handle the firearm if the person holding the FID asks.  Its common for a dad or mom to bring a kid in to see if a firearm is comfortable for them.

Wish I lived closer...

1 minute ago, 124gr9mm said:

Yes!

Thanks both for the quick replies.  I appreciate not wanting to hand guns to someone without some form of ID.

Would my teenager have been able to handle the pistols at your places?

Wish I lived closer...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NJSigfan said:

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago at sportsman Rendevouz in Flemington.  Walked in there to check out what they had and was told that NJ law prohibits the handling of a handgun without and FID card.  When I said I’ve never heard that before and could they show me where it states this, the older lady told me that she didn’t have time to educate me and if I didn’t have one she would show me any guns.

i promptly took out my FID card waved it at her and said...well I don’t have time to spend my money in a shop that’s this rude.  Never went back in and now they’re gone.

moral to my point...stupidity is everywhere and yes, it seems like most shops are now adopting the...no FID no handling guns.  Heritage. TTC, and the shop in Union, forget the name, do it

You weren't the only one I lived in flemington and would drive right past them and all the way up to Jim Flynns or my kitchen table FFL in Annandale 

• Agree 1

I do not think I have ever had a shop ask me for any ID to handle a firearm. If that is the company policy, so be it I would likely show them, they want to make any copies to just look/handle, no thanks. They try to BS me with it being the law, no thanks.

I can see a greater desire for a shop to want to see a DL & FID to rent a firearm. But require ID (show me your papers) to handle an unloaded firearm two feet away from the employee/clerk?  Car dealerships don't even ask for a DL until you want to actually drive the vehicle.

21 minutes ago, Grapeshot said:

Interesting - I never had any problem with them. Purchased quite a few guns from them. They would even match sale prices from other shops if I brought in the ad. 

They had horrible customer service......never smiled, always smug and not at all friendly. Their behavior was their down fall , it was like they didn't want to be there either....omo.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, kc17 said:

I do not think I have ever had a shop ask me for any ID to handle a firearm. If that is the company policy, so be it I would likely show them, they want to make any copies to just look/handle, no thanks. They try to BS me with it being the law, no thanks.

I can see a greater desire for a shop to want to see a DL & FID to rent a firearm. But require ID (show me your papers) to handle an unloaded firearm two feet away from the employee/clerk?  Car dealerships don't even ask for a DL until you want to actually drive the vehicle.

In fairness they just asked to look at my ID (she didn't even touch it) so they weren't asking for a copy or anything extravagant...

2 hours ago, Indianajonze said:

Gander mountain in Middletown NY wouldn't even let me handle them (pistols OR rifles) with my FID. Said you must be a NY resident only. Got into a huge argument with the guy over that. I miss that place...

I think that's a Gander policy. With local guns shops in NY, I've never experienced such. Handguns are a different story now in NY. 

3 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

They had horrible customer service......never smiled, always smug and not at all friendly. Their behavior was their down fall , it was like they didn't want to be there either....omo.

I've head that from other people too. Maybe I was just lucky. 

Anyway, they are gone now and they sold most of their store fixtures to Skip's Outdoors in Stockton. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Grapeshot said:

I've head that from other people too. Maybe I was just lucky. 

Anyway, they are gone now and they sold most of their store fixtures to Skip's Outdoors in Stockton. 

Hey! I know Skip!  He’s mr Stockton 

Good to see the answers here from the shops.

I'm OK with asking for *an* ID, to verify age since that is a law.  I'm not OK with FID or PP as the only forms for handling/browsing.   I've taken a couple people "shopping" before they went through the hoop jumping process, if only because they were curious.

14 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

Is this actually a "law" or is it a CYA measure that gun shops have in place.

If a shop tells me it's store policy that I show an FID card, I shrug and hand it over.   Their store, their rules.

If a shop tells me state law requires it, I leave, because I won't know what else they are lying to me about.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

15 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

I'm assuming the FID card thing is the norm in NJ now????

Shooters always asks before handing over a gun. Personally, I feel it's a nothingburger, life is too short to worry about this type of stuff. Are people this upset when a cashier asks for ID when paying by check?

Everyone should be MORE upset with the fact that Trenton actually makes you get the (unconstitutional) FID in the first place....

• Like 1

@Sniper hence why I said I'm OK with asking for ID (need to show it to buy booze or smokes, although lately the booze shops haven't been asking me, and I'm kinda sad about that... must be looking old), but telling me it's state law for an FID is on the shady side, when it's not.