sroc112

Entry level factory built AR

I'm sure this question gets asked often but I have been out of the game for a while. Had to put the gun hobby on hold for a bit and I am starting to resurface now. Bought a new home in 2018, had a baby 30 days later, started a new job last year. So needless to say my free time and extra cash has been non existent, also sold a few guns prior to the move for some extra furniture money.

Looking for an affordable entry AR, under $750 or so, maybe under $500 if possible. Want quality and a good shooter for the money, not looking for the greatest gun ever made. I have in mind a Ruger AR556, m&p sport 2, or a PSA. Back when I was more involved I had my eye on a colt 6920 and a LWRC.

Any suggestions or any reason to steer clear of any of the above mentioned? Ideally want a 1:7 twist but will settle for 1:8 if it ends up truly working out to be the best option.

Thanks!

42 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

PSA is a solid choice in this category.

I'll second that. I did a basic build, as a throw away AR if necessary, with a PSA upper and Anderson lower for around $400. I did upgrade the trigger to a LaRue for the fun of it. It turned out to be a decent platform.

for 750 you will do well in this market

Ruger is a no go, prop parts

psa, in this market  you need your head examined to buy down when you should be buying up

There are loads of great deals out there right now.  I would go with the sw m&p as the reviews are stellar, mil-spec, under 550 for nj legal, and you can have money left over for ammo/optic.  total win

Hell I just sold a FN SRP tactical for 850, nib....in this market, you buy up!

On 1/28/2020 at 8:06 AM, sroc112 said:

I'm sure this question gets asked often but I have been out of the game for a while. Had to put the gun hobby on hold for a bit and I am starting to resurface now. Bought a new home in 2018, had a baby 30 days later, started a new job last year. So needless to say my free time and extra cash has been non existent, also sold a few guns prior to the move for some extra furniture money.

Looking for an affordable entry AR, under $750 or so, maybe under $500 if possible. Want quality and a good shooter for the money, not looking for the greatest gun ever made. I have in mind a Ruger AR556, m&p sport 2, or a PSA. Back when I was more involved I had my eye on a colt 6920 and a LWRC.

Any suggestions or any reason to steer clear of any of the above mentioned? Ideally want a 1:7 twist but will settle for 1:8 if it ends up truly working out to be the best option.

Thanks!

I have a nice Spike's AR-15 for sale in the WTS section. This one has lots of aftermarket stuff on it that you would probably want or end up putting on a basic AR-15, it is lightly used, but you are getting more than a basic AR-15 for a price you would probably pay for a  basic AR-15. 

For complete Rifle: Allowance: You need to get the brake and the stock pinned if this is going to your FFL in NJ, so you get a $75 off.  Shipping on this item is $40, if it costs less to ship, you get the difference. If it costs more, I eat it.  Price is $650 plus shipping of $40 minus $75 allowance or $620 Scope not included and for illustration only.

Bottom line is that you get a complete AR-15  rifle worth more than 750 for $620. This one has a Magpul deluxe friction lock stock, deluxe pistol grip, quadrail, an FSC muzzle brake which is a high end brake plus a Magpul AFG2  handrip on the rail and a better than basic mil-spec trigger, it has the Spike's deluxe nickel boron trigger which is smoother than the basic.

. A basic AR will probably come with a non Magpul Car stock or a non friction lock stock, a basic A2 pistol grip, a very basic brake on the end or a non compliant flash hider, that is a no go in NJ and no AFG2 grip on the rail. Even if you find a basic that has some Magpul furniture on it, you will get the Magpul basic grip and basic stock

There are many FFL's on this forum that can pin the brake(muzzle device)  on the end of the rifle and pin the stock. If you are interested, I can even ship this to a FFL without the FDE(flat dark earth) Magpul stock, in that case they would only need to pin the brake for you ($35 to $50) and after they transfer it to you you can take it home, put the stock on it and pin it yourself so it is no longer adjustable (NJ will not let you have an adjustable stock). Any member who has been on this forum can tell you how to pin a stock if you can't figure it out.

In the alternative you can have the FFL both pin the stock and pin the brake Or if you shoot someone elses AR-15 or rent one you can estimate how far back from the stock's fully collapsed position you like it, tell me and I can pin it for you before I ship it to your FFL.

Go to the For Sale section and you will see pictures of it and more info

Steve