Scorpio64

Survival Books.. Like, Actual Books

In a SHTF situation, there is a very good chance that computers and electronics will be bricked.  The only thing you can truly count on is actual printed books.  Please, this is not a thread about Faraday cages, so don't go there, thank you.  Let's say, as part of your prepper plan you rationed a box, a strong copy paper or file storage size box, for essential  books and documents.  What books would you put in the bug-out/bug-in box, four or five books that you believe are essential for a long term survival situation?

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

In a SHTF situation, there is a very good chance that computers and electronics will be bricked.  The only thing you can truly count on is actual printed books. 

I agree, the Internet can go away with a click of a mouse, but as another option, what about having the books in PDF format on a flash drive? Besides a direct hit by a EMP on your computer or tablet, you should still be able to boot up these devices and read the PDFs locally, right?

1 minute ago, Sniper said:

but as another option, what about having the books in PDF format on a flash drive?

For the purpose of this exercise, we will assume that electronics are not available.  The computer died, just because it's a computer and they do that, or little Betty dropped the tablet in a toilet to wash it off, the dog ate your iphone, the solar charger fried itself....  Anything electronic is plan A, it has failed, and now we are going to plan B.  Hard copy.

Sniper, that would be a good idea, but two is one and one is none.  Those PDFs should be stored in multiple locations and shared amongst friends, but print copies should exist as well (and maybe a well-placed broken microwave.    A library of knowledge on medicine, engineering, food, etc. would be invaluable to long term, but the OP is focusing on just (5) or so that you might actually be able to carry/transport with you and keep intact.  

Just off hand, here are a few of  my contenders.  Keep in mind that some of the books overlap and there are redundanies. It would also depend on your particular skill set.  haven't really found any good books on surviving in an urban setting and a good book on engineering information might be a good choice as well.  These books aren't in any particular order.   

The Survival Medicine Handbook by the Altons 

SAS Survival Handbook by Wiseman

The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Emery

Surviving Doomsday - Duarte

The Backyard Homestead by Madigan

Bushcraft Box Set by Dave Canterbury

The Lost Art of Reading Nature's Signs by Gooley

Survival Theory by Hollerman

A Year without the Grocery Store by Morris

Cookin with Home Storage by Layton

The Good Living Guide to Country Skills by Gehring

Prepper's Longterm Survival Guide by Cobb

The Foxfire Book by Wigginton

Surviving the Economic Collape by Aquirre

How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It by Rawles

Peterson's Guide to Edible Plants

Facing Violence by Miller

Defense Handgun II by James

US Constitution

Useful Knots by Fury

When Violence is the Answer by Larkin

The Bible

An Assortment of Maps

Please share your thougths an opinions.  

• Like 2

For the purpose of this exercise, we will assume that electronics are not available.  The computer died, just because it's a computer and they do that, or little Betty dropped the tablet in a toilet to wash it off, the dog ate your iphone, the solar charger fried itself....  Anything electronic is plan A, it has failed, and now we are going to plan B.  Hard copy.

OK fair enough, so let's take that a step further. Having printed books and print-outs in a box, ready for review in a emergency is a GREAT idea, but when that time happens, do you want to be digging around in a box, in the dark, trying to figure out what to do?

So, here is PRE Plan A:

In reality, everyone needs to read those books/print-outs NOW, and make a plan and prepare on what they are going to do. Pulling them out, after the fact, might be difficult playing catchup.

Here's an exercise to do RIGHT NOW. Go to your electrical panel box, turn off the main breaker, and live that way for a WEEK. You'll quickly learn where the holes are in your plan. Only then, will you truly know, and can backfill where necessary. Then go back and read the books/print-outs to see what you're missing.

41 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Sniper, that would be a good idea, but two is one and one is none.  Those PDFs should be stored in multiple locations and shared amongst friends, but print copies should exist as well.

True, but I operate on the one is none, two is one, and three is bare minimum where you want to be. I also believe in the Boy Scout motto; "Be Prepared". Both my sons are Eagle Scouts, so there's a mindset that's been a staple in our family. Knowing what to do BEFORE the incident happens is 9/10 of the game.

I've actually wargamed and have done trial runs. Going through Hurricane Sandy without power for an extended period helped close some gaps. I believe in trials and testing, before the stress of the event gets here. I think trying to read, learn, adjust and handle daily survival DURING the incident can really test your nerves.

But, maybe that's the engineer in me talking... I like to catch little problems before they become BIGGER problems..

• Like 2

By the way, you can get an older workhorse laserjet printer such as an HP 5 or 6 rather cheap and cartridges (5000 pages each cartridge) can be had for about $20 each.   I wish my setup could do double-sided.  With that cost basis you can make copies of a lot of information, but where to store it, etc.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

do you want to be digging around in a box, in the dark, trying to figure out what to do?

So, here is PRE Plan A:

In reality, everyone needs to read those books/print-outs NOW, and make a plan and prepare on what they are going to do. Pulling them out, after the fact, might be difficult playing catchup.

what-we-have-here-is-a-failure-to-commun

Clearly, you do not understand the point of this post.  We are not talking about what to do or read now in preparation for the future.   That is for another thread.  We are doing hard copy reference material that will be invaluable, in situ, when the time comes

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

A library of knowledge on medicine, engineering, food, etc. would be invaluable to long term, but the OP is focusing on just (5) or so that you might actually be able to carry/transport with you and keep intact.  

^^^ THIS ^^^  Listen to the astute Unterhund.

I do not disagree that folks should be prepared before the SHTF  cough@Mrs. Peelcough...., but one can't prepare for everything or know everything.  Can someone who read a paragraph on how to amputate a gangrenous limb two years ago rely on just memory when the time comes?

Anyhoo, the post is about what you would throw in a box.  It's your box, your life.  Put in it whatever you desire.  You win.

I'll tell you what... I don't think anyone's disagreeing on developing both skills and useful resource materials. People can list their recommended books on this thread... and @Sniper - please feel free to open another thread on developing real-life skills to supplement a small library... (mock drills, workshops, etc.) Easy-peasy! It's called getting along, folks! :D

I do not disagree that folks should be prepared before the SHTF  cough@Mrs. Peelcough

Hey, now, @Scorpio64!!! Wow, am I being paranoid... or are you mocking my (self-admitted) deer-in-the-headlights, Kardashian-on-a-camping-trip "survival skills"? Just because I thought water bottles would freeze and burst is no reason to be mean! That really hurts. :cray:

I'll have you know, Mister, the following has been accomplished at Peel Headquarters just this month:

• I now have the LifeStraw 2.0 water filter stashed in my kitchen drawer
  • I have been buying 1 package of bottled water with each recent grocery shopping trip - so I can build up a little stash
  • I stocked up on a bunch of goods at the Shop-Rite can-can sale (combined with what I inherited from my late father's pantry, I already have enough food to last me about 6-8 weeks) 
  • My bro was just here yesterday, at my request, cutting extra shelves for my former broom closet/new pantry-for-one - I just put a coat of stain on the new shelves 2 hrs ago... and ordered the necessary brackets on Amazon
  • I have a detailed list of other things I need to stock up on (developed from reviewing a number of online sites/YouTube videos, etc.) - and will be purchasing those in the coming weeks (I'm actually using flyers/coupons for the first time in my life - because frankly, though I embrace the idea of moving towards self-reliance with relative speed, it seems stupid to get hosed on the prices)
  • I have a decent (not abundant, but decent) amount of firewood/fatwood/matches on hand for my woodstove (which btw has a flat top for cooking)... and I'm developing the habit of cleaning it out AND having it "match ready" after each use, so I don't have to trudge down into the basement if the power goes at night to rummage for supplies - although if I did have to do that, I actually know where my primary flashlight is and can put my hands on it in the dark
  • I put fresh batteries in my smoke detectors and at the same time stocked up on extra batteries that fit ALL critical things in my house (thermostat, smoke/carbon monoxide detectors, flashlights)

The next "home improvement" on my To Do List is portable generator/related electrical work... and I'll be kicking that off within a couple of weeks. 

So, as you can see... perhaps you don't need that survival library, after all... YOU should just call ME!  :rofl:

4 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

perhaps you don't need that survival library, after all... YOU should just call ME! 

Coms will be out.  Besides, is an emergency situation really the right time for us to be having one of our naughty video chats.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I'll tell you what... I don't think anyone's disagreeing on developing both skills and useful resource materials. People can list their recommended books on this thread... and @Sniper - please feel free to open another thread on developing real-life skills to supplement a small library... (mock drills, workshops, etc.) Easy-peasy! It's called getting along, folks! :D

Hey, now, @Scorpio64!!! Wow, am I being paranoid... or are you mocking my (self-admitted) deer-in-the-headlights, Kardashian-on-a-camping-trip "survival skills"? Just because I thought water bottles would freeze and burst is no reason to be mean! That really hurts. :cray:

I'll have you know, Mister, the following has been accomplished at Peel Headquarters just this month:

• I now have the LifeStraw 2.0 water filter stashed in my kitchen drawer
  • I have been buying 1 package of bottled water with each recent grocery shopping trip - so I can build up a little stash
  • I stocked up on a bunch of goods at the Shop-Rite can-can sale (combined with what I inherited from my late father's pantry, I already have enough food to last me about 6-8 weeks) 
  • My bro was just here yesterday, at my request, cutting extra shelves for my former broom closet/new pantry-for-one - I just put a coat of stain on the new shelves 2 hrs ago... and ordered the necessary brackets on Amazon
  • I have a detailed list of other things I need to stock up on (developed from reviewing a number of online sites/YouTube videos, etc.) - and will be purchasing those in the coming weeks (I'm actually using flyers/coupons for the first time in my life - because frankly, though I embrace the idea of moving towards self-reliance with relative speed, it seems stupid to get hosed on the prices)
  • I have a decent (not abundant, but decent) amount of firewood/fatwood/matches on hand for my woodstove (which btw has a flat top for cooking)... and I'm developing the habit of cleaning it out AND having it "match ready" after each use, so I don't have to trudge down into the basement if the power goes at night to rummage for supplies - although if I did have to do that, I actually know where my primary flashlight is and can put my hands on it in the dark
  • I put fresh batteries in my smoke detectors and at the same time stocked up on extra batteries that fit ALL critical things in my house (thermostat, smoke/carbon monoxide detectors, flashlights)

The next "home improvement" on my To Do List is portable generator/related electrical work... and I'll be kicking that off within a couple of weeks. 

So, as you can see... perhaps you don't need that survival library, after all... YOU should just call ME!  :rofl:

Please tell me you don't store wood in your basement

Also

https://www.katadyn.com/us/us/470-8013618-katadyn-pocket_usa

https://www.ourtinyhomestead.com/wood-stove-cooking.html

https://www.grit.com/departments/woodstove-cooking

Please have these on hand at least two....

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Chimfex-Chimney-Suppressent-3412/dp/B002RRIKT2

• Informative 1

1 minute ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Please tell me you don't store wood in your basement

Yes, I do have some wood in my basement... but only the leftover lumber from my dad's woodworking  (clean, no bugs/pests, was always stored indoors). It allows me to access some firewood if I lose power in the wee hours of night/morning so that I don't have to trudge out into my yard in the dark. It's also stored on the opposite side of the basement from my boiler.

Were those the concerns - boring insects? fire? Seriously, I only know what I know! If there's something else... clue me in.

8 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Coms will be out.  Besides, is an emergency situation really the right time for us to be having one of our naughty video chats.

Well, so much for your discretion, Lover! :blush:

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

and @Sniper - please feel free to open another thread on developing real-life skills to supplement a small library...

...So you delete selective posts that have important info that other members can use?

Then go on to post a lengthy list of prep items that aren't a book?

Strange?

• FacePalm 1

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Yes, I do have some wood in my basement... but only the leftover lumber from my dad's woodworking  (clean, no bugs/pests, was always stored indoors). It allows me to access some firewood if I lose power in the wee hours of night/morning so that I don't have to trudge out into my yard in the dark. It's also stored on the opposite side of the basement from my boiler.

Were those the concerns - boring insects? fire? Seriously, I only know what I know! If there's something else... clue me in.

Well, so much for your discretion, Lover! :blush:

Insect but old woodworking wood is actually too dry for a woodstove unless you you perfect sealing and a way to full damper the stove - being it is already mostly dry and beyond dry it can be too combustible if that makes sense

On 1/28/2020 at 12:41 PM, Underdog said:

Sniper, that would be a good idea, but two is one and one is none.  Those PDFs should be stored in multiple locations and shared amongst friends, but print copies should exist as well (and maybe a well-placed broken microwave.    A library of knowledge on medicine, engineering, food, etc. would be invaluable to long term, but the OP is focusing on just (5) or so that you might actually be able to carry/transport with you and keep intact.  

Just off hand, here are a few of  my contenders.  Keep in mind that some of the books overlap and there are redundanies. It would also depend on your particular skill set.  haven't really found any good books on surviving in an urban setting and a good book on engineering information might be a good choice as well.  These books aren't in any particular order.   

The Survival Medicine Handbook by the Altons 

SAS Survival Handbook by Wiseman

The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Emery

Surviving Doomsday - Duarte

The Backyard Homestead by Madigan

Bushcraft Box Set by Dave Canterbury

The Lost Art of Reading Nature's Signs by Gooley

Survival Theory by Hollerman

A Year without the Grocery Store by Morris

Cookin with Home Storage by Layton

The Good Living Guide to Country Skills by Gehring

Prepper's Longterm Survival Guide by Cobb

The Foxfire Book by Wigginton

Surviving the Economic Collape by Aquirre

How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It by Rawles

Peterson's Guide to Edible Plants

Facing Violence by Miller

Defense Handgun II by James

US Constitution

Useful Knots by Fury

When Violence is the Answer by Larkin

The Bible

An Assortment of Maps

Please share your thougths an opinions.  

If you want to download and save the PDF in a secure location and print them out here are some links to books I could find.  

667 Free Survival PDFs, Manuals and Downloads [Updated 2024 ] (seasonedcitizenprepper.com)

SAS. Survival. Handbook. 2nd. Edition (archive.org)

4Patriots-Ultimate-Survival-Handbook.pdf

NCScout The Guerrilla's Guide To The Baofeng Radio ( 2022) (archive.org)

I'll update this as I find more.