EX Carnival man

NJ Supreme Court Votes Unanimously for Gun Rights

12 minutes ago, EX Carnival man said:

A win is a win

After this filing, on May 20, 2019, the Administrative Office of the Courts (AOC) promulgated Administrative Directive #06-19: Criminal – Procedures for Processing Gun Permits, which provided that trial courts must hold a hearing if it has any questions regarding the applicant or his or her permit to carry application. Today’s NJSC Opinion affirmatively incorporates the AOC Directive into precedential case law that county judges must now follow.

Im surprised they didn’t try to moot the case after the directive was issued. 

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Indianajonze said:

should we all start applying for our cc permits now?

Unless out until SCOTUS get off their collective butts and rule on Rogers, Cheeseman, Ciolek or Gould it would just be a waste of your time and money. JN is the law of the State and that's not going to change without a ruling from SCOTUS.

If you want to spend money on another background check, range time and ammo for qualification, a day's pay for showing up in court to hear your denial go ahead. I've been there and done it fruitlessly.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

Unless out until SCOTUS get off their collective butts and rule on Rogers, Cheeseman, Ciolek or Gould it would just be a waste of your time and money. JN is the law of the State and that's not going to change without a ruling from SCOTUS.

If you want to spend money on another background check, range time and ammo for qualification, a day's pay for showing up in court to hear your denial go ahead. I've been there and done it fruitlessly.

Has being denied impacted your ability to get a permit for pistol purchases?

Sounds like we now have the right to be denied in person instead of by mail.  All of the constitutional violations are still in place.  I can't even picture a strategy that makes this a step toward anything useful.   I'd like to be wrong.

If we ever get any relief in NJ, it will come from SCOTUS, not from inside this state. And, unfortunately, SCOTUS hasn't been interested in the second amendment in a long, long time.

On 1/28/2020 at 8:44 PM, Mr.Stu said:

Having been denied to my face I know they will have no problem denying everyone else.

This smells kinda like "give him a fair trial, then hang him"

Yah, I dont understand. 

if a court has any questions regarding the applicant or his or her permit to carry application, it must hold a hearing to address those questions."

Why would a permit or a permit request/application get to court?

Is that how it works, every application goes in front of a judge?

Just now, deerpark said:

Yah, I dont understand. 

Why would a permit or a permit request/application get to court?

Is that how it works, every application goes in front of a judge?

Getting a carry permit is a two step process.

You apply to your local PD who will either approve or deny (or NJSP if your town doesn't have a PD). If they deny you can appeal to your county Superior Court.

If the police approve, you still have to get through the second step which is approval from your county Superior Court. They wheel in somebody from the prosecutor's office and basically put you on trial. Then they deny your application.

The only thing that changed with this ruling is that they must hold a hearing for step 2 before they issue the denial.

On 2/10/2020 at 2:12 PM, Mr.Stu said:

Getting a carry permit is a two step process.

You apply to your local PD who will either approve or deny (or NJSP if your town doesn't have a PD). If they deny you can appeal to your county Superior Court.

If the police approve, you still have to get through the second step which is approval from your county Superior Court. They wheel in somebody from the prosecutor's office and basically put you on trial. Then they deny your application.

The only thing that changed with this ruling is that they must hold a hearing for step 2 before they issue the denial.

So now they'll hold a mandatory hearing before denying rights?

2 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i thought that you already had a right to a hearing when the court denied your carry permit?

doesn't sound much like a win to me. maybe i'm wrong. probably am. but i don't think this is anywhere near a good thing.

You did already have that right. A superior court ignored it and got corrected by NJ Supreme Court. 

Nothing has changed except a Superior Court will have to put some effort into denying your rights. That's unless they choose to ignore this ruling like they do the Constitution. You'll notice there was no disciplinary action taken so there's no incentive for any Court to change their ways.

On 1/28/2020 at 8:44 PM, Mr.Stu said:

Having been denied to my face I know they will have no problem denying everyone else.

This smells kinda like "give him a fair trial, then hang him"

beats give him no trial and then hang him. 

• Agree 1