always_an_eagle

Police trade in handguns

Good morning, 

I am looking to get an other handgun to supplement the permits I got recently. I got my bases covered (a browning buck mark 22lr, and a smith and wesson 439 in 9mm) so I am looking to branch out in an other semi auto, in an different caliber (don't worry revolver lovers, I will get a revolver, would love a K frame in 38 special.) I have noticed on several online retailers of police surplus handguns many in 40 S&W of several manufacturers such as Glocks, S&W M&P's  and SIG P226 and p229 in the DAK trigger. These handguns are pretty cheap and come with night sights and weapon light rails which a nice feature, I wouldn't mind the caliber because variety is the spice of life. I am wonder if any forum member ever picked up a police trade in handgun online, their experience on it and what 40 S&W handgun; Glock, S&W or SIG? 

Get one in nice shape.  Try to inspect it first.  Look for signs of heavy use.  Nothing wrong with a Glock 22 or 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel and some night sights and probably a worn in and smoothed out  trigger.   .40 S&W beats the heck out of Glocks a lot more than 9mm, though, and it is a lot more expensive to shoot.   I bought a police trade-in about 8 years ago and it has been flawless... not one hiccup.  I should probably get a new guide rod for it soon, though.  I have 9mm conversion barrel for it and that has been flawless as well.  Also, if you get a police trade in it is doubtful that you will be able to keep the mags unless you are law enforcement.  If you get a Glock there is very little that couldn't be repaired/replaced.  It might be personal preference, but I prefer the GEN3s, anyway, if you can find one available.   You may want to look into the Palmetto State Armory Glock version that is due to be released this spring...  essentially a new "Glock" for $300...  but maybe it is only being released in 9mm.    

About two years ago i think it was i grabbed a s&w m&p 45, it was a raleigh durham gun amd had the logo of tje department on it...night sights, two mags...10 round 45acp...

Sights were still lightly lit but changed them to fiber optic...light use carried more than shot..very accurate and a great trigger.

They had a sale on 10 round 45 mags...picked up an other six...

Some of the best money i have spent on a used and meant to be used firearm/tool

No regrets