SmittyMHS

PSA: Clinton WMA Rimfire/Muzzleloader Range now open (with a surprise)

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

None at all now?  No big plastic drums for garbage?

From the NJDEP site " Those using the ranges must provide their own firearms and/or bows, ammunition, arrows, clay birds and/or targets. Only backstops at bow ranges are provided. Please note that state WMAs and facilities are "carry in - carry out" and trash receptacles are not provided; please plan accordingly to not leave any trash or recyclables behind "

32 minutes ago, SmittyMHS said:

From the NJDEP site " Those using the ranges must provide their own firearms and/or bows, ammunition, arrows, clay birds and/or targets. Only backstops at bow ranges are provided. Please note that state WMAs and facilities are "carry in - carry out" and trash receptacles are not provided; please plan accordingly to not leave any trash or recyclables behind "

Interesting - they generally have trash barrels anyway.  WMA Shotgun range has a dumpster too.  Will start bringing boxes/trash bags just in case.

Awesome news, I've been holding off on renewing my hunting license until it was finished, so guess it's time to re-up it now.

Centerfire is a nice addition.  I wonder if this is related to the federal funding from a year or two ago, because I cannot imagine NJ ever willingly doing anything to benefit gun owners.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

Awesome news, I've been holding off on renewing my hunting license until it was finished, so guess it's time to re-up it now.

Centerfire is a nice addition.  I wonder if this is related to the federal funding from a year or two ago, because I cannot imagine NJ ever willingly doing anything to benefit gun owners.

i assumed they added centerfire because there are fox/coyote seasons where centerfire rifles are allowed. Though the regulations state up to .25 caliber. So im happily surprised the ranges are allowing .30 caliber.

Just now, eyeinstine said:

i assumed they added centerfire because there are fox/coyote seasons where centerfire rifles are allowed. Though the regulations state up to .25 caliber. So im happily surprised the ranges are allowing .30 caliber.

I did think it was strange that you couldn't practice with guns at WMAs which were legal to hunt with, even with those centerfire rules only having "recently" changed.

Does the berm look upgraded too?  Last I was there, they were nowhere near done and I didn't get too close to the construction, but I also didn't notice much difference in the berm.

On 1/31/2020 at 2:34 PM, dajonga said:

Centerfire rifles up to .30 cal!?!?!?

I hope this new rule will eventually make it down to Stafford Forge!

No mention of rimfire?

I’m pondering this... it’s bad enough nobody abide the 1/4 hour I’m not sure stafford is a safe fit in its current setup 

Checked it out last night as I was in the area. 3 people were there around 5:00; all were shooting centerfire.  The extended "awnings" are not attached to the main structure, and are obviously there to keep shots from going over the berm.  They have 6 stations. You will need hearing protection in the parking lot; it's very close to the firing line. 

And - there is a dumpster there!

Benches and seating are all block and concrete, so bring something soft.  Harbor Freight has moving blankets for $3.99. Two of them and you're good to go. If everyone who uses it will just keep it nice this is a great addition. 

• Like 2

Do you need to have a valid hunting license to shoot there? I thought I read something about that. I would love to be able to dust of my SKS and shoot a few over there. Also, are there target holders available? 

Edit: I see its bold on the sign that someone posted. Bummer....... 

Went today for the first time to the "new" range.

First off, it was PACKED.  There are 5? marked spaces (2 handicapped).  I parked behind my friend who was in the far right space, and I had 2 cars behind me.  At one point, there was a car next to me, plus cars parked along the edge of the lot - 11 or 12 cars I can remember, plus people coming and seeing how busy it was and leaving.

There are 6 tables and 10 seats (at least one table has no seats for HC access).  However, since most of us are right handed, there are really only 6 spots for most shooters.  Yes, you can adapt and use the benches for lefties, but it is not in any way ideal.  Not sure how that could have been changed/improved while in the design phase, since the new setup is FAR superior to the previous single wooden bench, where a single person fidgeting around 20 ft away would screw you up at the other end (I've watched my crosshairs bounce 4" on target from that).  However, fewer spaces for shooters is kinda annoying.  ESPECIALLY since it would not have taken more than a few minutes of work with a bulldozer  to clear up space for 2-3 more shooting tables (imo, one to the left, 1-2 to the right, with a tiny bit of effort would have still left maintenance access on the right side) - even if they were not under the roof.  I suppose the biggest issue would have been the baffle, but again, I think it was a bit short sighted to only have 6 tables.

I want to make some kind of support to temporarily attach to a table so a 2nd shooter can use the same table - thinking plywood with legs and clamps to attach it to the cement table so as to allow more trigger time without taking up two spots if it is busy.

I'd say 50% of shooters were using centerfire rifles there today.

The same rules I still don't understand about spinner type target placement only at the 25yd  berm are still in effect.  Guess golf balls are more fun anyway.

I may have to pick up a small brush and dustpan, since there is no easy way to clean the ground, it is gonna get bad there quickly.  I'm curious how many tons of .22 brass they took out from under the old wooden structure.  There IS a dumpster, but no garbage cans like there used to be.  Probably for the better as some asshole woulda used it as a target stand anyway.

Oh, and at least one old fudd who grumbled at the audacity of having to have his action open when calling the line cold.  So that is still the same...

I dunno if it was so busy because of allowing centerfire, a "warm" day for the month, a holiday, or a combination of all the above, but I was still impressed by the numbers today.  I only hope it isn't too busy all the time.  All the WMAs should have a 100yd rifle range as far as I'm concerned

46 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

@Malice4you were you the guy on the far right table that I was pelting with brass? I'm the English guy who was on the second table in from the right?

That I am.  Was a pleasure to meet you and harass you and your buddies.

• Like 1

Glad the NJGF crew had a nice time.  I ALMOST made it there myself yesterday.  But I had a dinner meeting in Bordentown to be at as well as chores at home, so....they'll be another time!

bring your own and sign at range  says target  has to be 30" above berm to base of your target .

for anyone interested I cruised past Flatbrook today and spoke to construction worker,  he estimates August for a reopen.  it is an exact copy of Clinton and is supposed to be extended to 100 yds.

I've been there a few times since the re-re-opening and haven't seen many shooters. Although talking to the few I have seen said it's catch as catch can during the week. Weekends are of course a whole nother thing. My suggestion is go early during the week.

HTHs

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nam Le said:

Maybe a little off topic but I wonder how crowded this range is during weekday/weekend.

I'm trying to get my hunter license to use this range to shoot my .308

Weekends were completely full - last time we went out, the range was completely full - this was on a Sunday about Midday.

20 hours ago, Nam Le said:

Maybe a little off topic but I wonder how crowded this range is during weekday/weekend.

I'm trying to get my hunter license to use this range to shoot my .308

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/07/state-wildlife-areas-temporarily-close-due-to-coronavirus-furloughs.html

maybe this will answer your question,  governor ASS HOLE shut them down again.   whats that saying the Marxists have about never let a good disaster go to waste.   anyone not yet convinced to find an out of state range should be by now. 

The logic of this State is mind-numbing at times. ".30 caliber only?"

So I can't shoot a dinky 9mm rifle or a .32 Win. Spcl. because they exceed ".30 caliber" but a .30-378 Weatherby or a wildcat like the .300 Raptor are okay since both are .30 caliber? :(

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Parker said:

The logic of this State is mind-numbing at times. ".30 caliber only?"

So I can't shoot a dinky 9mm rifle or a .32 Win. Spcl. because they exceed ".30 caliber" but a .30-378 Weatherby or a wildcat like the .300 Raptor are okay since both are .30 caliber? :(

The logic is flawed, but I wonder how likely it is that you'd ever get jammed up shooting either of those there?  Do they ever bench check shooters?   I'd think if the noise generated isn't excessive and you aren't blasting huge craters in the backstop, you won't attract much attention.