SmittyMHS

PSA: Clinton WMA Rimfire/Muzzleloader Range now open (with a surprise)

UGH - Closed yep.

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/wmaland.htm

Due to state-mandated employee furloughs, access to the following Wildlife Management Areas is restricted through July 27:

WMA  Specific Area
Round Valley  Boat Ramp

Clinton Shotgun Range
Clinton Archery Range
Clinton Rifle Range

2 hours ago, Parker said:

The logic of this State is mind-numbing at times. ".30 caliber only?"

So I can't shoot a dinky 9mm rifle or a .32 Win. Spcl. because they exceed ".30 caliber" but a .30-378 Weatherby or a wildcat like the .300 Raptor are okay since both are .30 caliber? :(

1 hour ago, 10X said:

The logic is flawed, but I wonder how likely it is that you'd ever get jammed up shooting either of those there?  Do they ever bench check shooters?   I'd think if the noise generated isn't excessive and you aren't blasting huge craters in the backstop, you won't attract much attention.

Its not flawed logic when you consider its supposed to be a range for hunters, so its limited to calibers you can potentially Hunt with in nj.

2 hours ago, Parker said:

The logic of this State is mind-numbing at times. ".30 caliber only?"

So I can't shoot a dinky 9mm rifle or a .32 Win. Spcl. because they exceed ".30 caliber" but a .30-378 Weatherby or a wildcat like the .300 Raptor are okay since both are .30 caliber? :(

My guess that center fire is allowed at all is because the rebuild utilized federal money taken from hunters via taxes,  That was a condition and was the only way NJ would probably qualify for the funds.   There was no ballistic considerations at all.  just a SWAG on my part.

anyone who knows how the state works with any kind of grant money knows that once the grant faucet is stopped so does the project. I'll bet that the funds used to rebuild these ranges amounts to 1 or 2 % of the total grant with the rest going into the general fund.

1 minute ago, revenger said:

My guess that center fire is allowed at all is because the rebuild utilized federal money taken from hunters via taxes,  That was a condition and was the only way NJ would probably qualify for the funds.   There was no ballistic considerations at all.  just a SWAG on my part.

anyone who knows how the state works with any kind of grant money knows that once the grant faucet is stopped so does the project. I'll bet that the funds used to rebuild these ranges amounts to 1 or 2 % of the total grant with the rest going into the general fund.

They added the forward baffle which with a fixed firing line will prevent rounds from going over into public land/roads/houses/etc.  It's rated to a certain caliber, I believe.

1 hour ago, Mr.Forks said:

Its not flawed logic when you consider its supposed to be a range for hunters, so its limited to calibers you can potentially Hunt with in nj.

You cannot hunt with centerfire cartridges over .25 caliber. Legal centerfire cartridges limited to .25 caliber or less, max. bullet grain weight is 80 grains. 

https://njfishandwildlife.com/coyote-fox_ammo.htm

1 hour ago, revenger said:

Centerfire has been legal for quite some time in New Jersey, provided it was on private land during woodchuck season. Years ago, the max. grain weight you could use was 100 grains. It's been lowered to 80.  

Could anyone offer their opinion about shooting a 10 inch 3/8 inch thick ar500 steel gong on a homemade hanging stand? I structured it so the gong is hanging on a 20 degree angle to eliminate ricochet possibilities. Nothing anywhere says that steel is not allowed. Obviously it would only be used at the 100 yard distance, but I just wanted some other opinions. 

On 1/31/2020 at 9:40 PM, Lakota said:

At the bottom of your link...

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ranges.htm#clintonrules

Clinton Muzzleloader/Rifle Range Rules and Closures

The following rules apply to the Clinton Muzzleloader/Rifle Range ONLY:

• All target frames must measure a minimum 30 inches from its base to the bottom of the paper target held in the frame. Frames must be placed only on top of a target mound located at the 25, 50 and 100 yard lines. This minimum target height requirement will eliminate the risk of ricochet and ensure that all projectiles are collected in the berm behind the 100 yard target.

• Shooters may supply their own frames which meet the above specifications, or use those provided on-site by the Division of Fish and Wildlife.

• Spinner type targets for .22 caliber firearms MUST be placed directly at the base of the 25 yard berm so that all bullets are directed into the berm. These targets are not to be used at other yardage or berm placements.

Shooters may supply their own frames which meet the above specifications, or use those provided on-site by the Division of Fish and Wildlife.

They changed that part on the website. Need to provide your own now.

23 minutes ago, benboga37 said:

I've never seen anyone use a gong in Clinton. The closes one I've seen was  a guy placed like steel pucks on the 100 yard berm, size of tuna cans. I can hear it plink when he hits them with 22lr. 

I've seen someone try and a Ranger told him to take it down. Spinners for .22 caliber are allowed at the 25' berm, but that's it.