SmittyMHS

PSA: Clinton WMA Rimfire/Muzzleloader Range now open (with a surprise)

6 hours ago, fishnut said:

Might as well let everyone shoot ARs there since the state police have been for years.....

well if we can shoot centerfire up to .30 then I guess we can

7 hours ago, SmittyMHS said:

I had to go there to see for myself after being told its open. Look at line "A"

Line A has always been the rule that is nothing new

Ha .. never mind, now I see the typo.  My brain passed over it at first lol

7 hours ago, SmittyMHS said:

Not a word. They even took down the sign that mandated what your target stand had to be built like.

At the bottom of your link...

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ranges.htm#clintonrules

Clinton Muzzleloader/Rifle Range Rules and Closures

The following rules apply to the Clinton Muzzleloader/Rifle Range ONLY:

• All target frames must measure a minimum 30 inches from its base to the bottom of the paper target held in the frame. Frames must be placed only on top of a target mound located at the 25, 50 and 100 yard lines. This minimum target height requirement will eliminate the risk of ricochet and ensure that all projectiles are collected in the berm behind the 100 yard target.

• Shooters may supply their own frames which meet the above specifications, or use those provided on-site by the Division of Fish and Wildlife.

• Spinner type targets for .22 caliber firearms MUST be placed directly at the base of the 25 yard berm so that all bullets are directed into the berm. These targets are not to be used at other yardage or berm placements.

7 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Assholes will shoot it all up till it falls down. Then they will drag it all into the wood line to dispose of it just like the shooting stations they built at the clay range a few years ago. 

The posts holding it up look to be just 4x4s. They shoulda used 3" Schedule 80 pipe.

I went there last week with my .22 when I first heard it was open,  I read the rules and returned the next day with my AR15.

The benches are concrete so bring a cushion as is the table top so bring a blanket or something to lay your guns on.

benches are much better than   what was there,  they are individual so when someone is pounding a ball into their muzzle loader and your benchrest shooting they dont shake you..

I feel they could have added 2 more benches as I'm sure this will get crowded.

While I was there someone drove up and questioned the use of our centerfires,   dont know if this was someone looking to shoot or someone investigating the noise which makes me wonder if the addition of centerfire rifles is  a trap and will ultimately lead to the antigun kooks complaining to the EPA as that is their MO to try and shut ranges down.

The flatbrook range is supposed to be the same way and increased to 100yds , I was up there a few weeks ago but it was still under construction.  

anyway it is a great improvement for us shooters.   

• Like 2

Another positive thing that may come out of this is maybe the big outdoor private  ranges that charge exorbitant annual fees, restrictive joining fees and "sign up" classes once a month only on 1 day that is difficult to attend or the decades long wait to get in will lower their membership fees to compete with the cost of a hunting license.     I will use myself as an example,   I have been trying to join a northern NJ rifle range up off rt 23 for over a well over a year. ( I was a member when I lived 5 miles away )  They only allow new members to sign up after a class held once a month on a sunday morning at day break and thats it.   you would think being the NRA range for NJ they would be a little more accommodating especially to NRA members.     Now I can shoot my AR, garand, nagant and so on for free.   I am fortunate enough that my job takes me right by Clinton, Flatbrook, Stafford forge and Make Piece on Regular basis and there's nothing better that eating lunch and shooting......for free  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr.Forks said:

Last time I was there the range was 99% plastic shells and broken glass,  and someone had dragged the 55 gallon drum that was the garbage can out  to the center and shot it to hell. 

If Clinton is your go to 

buy a sig 320 and then a shotgun. Meetups at the clay range happen about once a month. It’s casual, no competition. The clay meet ups are the easiest thing to organize.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zeke said:

If Clinton is your go to 

buy a sig 320 and then a shotgun. Meetups at the clay range happen about once a month. It’s casual, no competition. The clay meet ups are the easiest thing to organize.

Agree.  Buy a p320 and Come to the shotgun shoot outs.  Afterwards, a 15 minute ride to TTC and you can shoot your new Sig.  

• Like 1

I know it's not our "job", but does it make sense to see if we can get some volunteers together once a month to "maintain" it and keep it nice? Kinda like the groups that volunteer to keep a certain stretch of highway clean. We get a nice place to shoot, and it's good PR for us.  Probably need to do it on a weekday, as it probably gets pretty crowded on the weekends. 

3 minutes ago, Grapeshot said:

I know it's not our "job", but does it make sense to see if we can get some volunteers together once a month to "maintain" it and keep it nice? Kinda like the groups that volunteer to keep a certain stretch of highway clean. We get a nice place to shoot, and it's good PR for us.  Probably need to do it on a weekday, as it probably gets pretty crowded on the weekends. 

They have paid crews that help clean up the facilities... but cleaning up after yourself (and after those who choose to leave trash everywhere) should be encouraged...

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Grapeshot said:

Don’t be afraid to make it better. I usually spend an hour cleaning up stafford. Leave it better then you found it

• Like 1
  • Agree 3