124gr9mm

Magazines may remain loaded during transportation

I know this topic gets tossed around from time to time, but I happened across the NJ State Police website and saw this in their FAQ:

"6.  How do you transport firearms?

Firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.  If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and or ammunition shall be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or center console and kept farthest from the driver.

As a precaution, ammunition shall be transported in a separate container and locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.  Ammunition magazines may remain loaded during transportation and shall be carried separate from the firearm."

Not sure if/when this was updated, but I don't recall seeing such clear direction on this in the past.  The common thinking was that magazines should be empty during transport, but the State Police indicate that it's not a requirement.

Will be an interesting discussion point the next time there's a meeting at my club.

https://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

As a precaution, ammunition shall be transported in a separate container and locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.  Ammunition magazines may remain loaded during transportation and shall be carried separate from the firearm."

Will be an interesting discussion point the next time there's a meeting at my club.

I'm a probie at my club so I'll be quiet, but some senior members passionately vocalize at meetings that mags must be transported empty. Can't wait for that to be brought up. :popcorn: 

4 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

I know this topic gets tossed around from time to time, but I happened across the NJ State Police website and saw this in their FAQ:

"6.  How do you transport firearms?

Firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.  If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and or ammunition shall be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or center console and kept farthest from the driver.

Not sure if/when this was updated, but I don't recall seeing such clear direction on this in the past.  The common thinking was that magazines should be empty during transport, but the State Police indicate that it's not a requirement.

Thanks for posting , but I did it anyway @blksheep yelled  at me

I've been doing it "MY way" for over 20 years of action shooting.  So glad Brett Bloom was able to take our questions back from NJSAFECON and institute a formal update at NJSP Firearms Bureau to coincide with what those in-the-know have been doing for YEARS...

~R

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

I've been doing it "MY way" for over 20 years of action shooting.  So glad Brett Bloom was able to take our questions back from NJSAFECON and institute a formal update at NJSP Firearms Bureau to coincide with what those in-the-know have been doing for YEARS...

~R

NJSP Sgt Bloom

• Agree 1

So, let's logic again, logic is fun

Before this clarification did it say anywhere  in the law that magazines had to be transported unloaded?

No, it didn't,  therefore it was always ok to transport them loaded. 

But, but, but  Nappen said...Nappen is an attorney but he ain't the law. 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

~R

Sgt Bloom is the man. The new guys coming up are pretty good too.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, WP22 said:

So, let's logic again, logic is fun

Before this clarification did it say anywhere  in the law that magazines had to be transported unloaded?

No, it didn't,  therefore it was always ok to transport them loaded. 

But, but, but  Nappen said...Nappen is an attorney but he ain't the law. 

Looking for permission to do something legally with a gun is like asking permission to breathe AIR.  Laws are written to tell ya what NOT to do & how much time ya get if ya do it anyway, get caught & are found guilty.  Laws aren't written to say it's OK.  The law is NOT your Mommy!

Lawyers will always be too careful, and err on the side of caution.  Action Shooters on the other hand, after a match is over, get together & go out to Jersey Diners with their shit locked in the trunk :) 

Ask me no questions I tell you no lies :) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

43 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Laws are written to tell ya what NOT to do & how much time ya get if ya do it anyway, get caught & are found guilty.  Laws aren't written to say it's OK.  The law is NOT your Mommy!

Except in NJ! and in my fucking town, where it says in the ordinances that anything not EXPLICITLY listed as allowed is NOT allowed.

• Confused 1