SmittyMHS

Radiator re-core question

9 hours ago, SmittyMHS said:

Anyone have one done lately? Just wondering what the average cost would be.

if your vehicle's new enough that it's got the plastic/aluminum radiator, just replace. recoring is more expensive these days. i haven't had a rad recored or retanked in over 20 years.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, TOMMY R said:

Unless it's a classic car or truck or a piece of equipment made from copper most of the radiators are throw away  plastic tanks & aluminum cores . Shop around for new or take a chance on a used in the junk yard.

Lets call it a new classic. Its a '87 Buick Regal Type T. Still has a real radiator in her. I can retro fit one of these plastic fantastic beer can coolers in her, and people say they cool better and are lighter (= faster) which I would consider if I was still racing her. But have heard bad things can happen to plastic tanks if you blow a head gasket under 20lbs of boost. Which I'm not gonna do anymore with her. But it's something to ponder. I guess I'll do the retro and be done with it. I just hate this throw away society we've become.

On 2/6/2020 at 10:34 AM, SmittyMHS said:

Lets call it a new classic. Its a '87 Buick Regal Type T. Still has a real radiator in her. I can retro fit one of these plastic fantastic beer can coolers in her, and people say they cool better and are lighter (= faster) which I would consider if I was still racing her. But have heard bad things can happen to plastic tanks if you blow a head gasket under 20lbs of boost. Which I'm not gonna do anymore with her. But it's something to ponder. I guess I'll do the retro and be done with it. I just hate this throw away society we've become.

Crack an egg in it..... don’t do that

Call Midland Radiator in Garfield. They recore radiators and they are usually better than the original. I don't know about car radiators, but for construction equipment they are either cheaper than new or around the same, but you'll end up with a better radiator.

For construction equipment I would. I called a local guy that said $300 and it wouldn't cool as well as a new aluminum one. But I hate the plastic end tanks. Found a all aluminum one on line for under $200. Still looking into that. I also found Holly has one also for about $50 more but available at AutoZone so I could pick it up there.