Golf battery

Ammo increase in price

Just got intel from ffl’s.  So.  Its an election year. With it comes hysteria.  Does trump get elected?   Does a dem get elected and ban whatever and whatnot?     So prices are going to go up.  Especially in this uncertain climate.   So.   Buy ammo now to cover you for atleast the next 12 months or so. So not to to be gouged.  Save up and buy it now.  Free advice.  

If you're buying now to stave off a panic, you're already too late.

Ammo (and magazine) prices are up, and will stay there for the foreseeable future.

I wouldn't even be surprised if gun prices (AR uppers and lowers specifically) start creeping up as well.

Don't expect to see many if any sales until mid-November.

Finally, I predict that post 11/9 we'll see a short term pricing crash, as DJT being re-elected President, and the GOP taking both houses.  Maybe by then I'll have some gun money.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I recently stocked up. My local gun shop had a pre election sale. Lowers were buy one get one half off 45 bucks, 10 dollar transfers, and 1k of xm885 was 250 bucks with 10 free D&H standard capacity mags. I got 2 lowers and a case of ammo! 

10 hours ago, Golf battery said:

Buy ammo now to cover you for at least the next 12 months YEARS or so.

Wait, what... based on what's gone on the past few years, you're not fully stocked.... NOW?

BTW, I fixed it for you. :clapping:

5 hours ago, Sota said:

If you're buying now to stave off a panic, you're already too late.

We have a winner!

I agree prices might increase as we get closer to the election depending on the expected outcome. But at the moment I don't see any noticeable increase at TSUSA. In fact the HST 50% off sale is on again.

Regardless, anyone who feels under stocked should take care of that now. NJ could still drop its own constraints anytime.

• Agree 1

Just now, 45Doll said:

Regardless, anyone who feels under stocked should take care of that now. NJ could still drop its own constraints anytime.

Another good point. NJ is really trying to jamb up ammo sales... prevent mail order and restricting purchase. Remember when NY tried to push a ammo restriction with their SAFE act, where you could only buy twice what your mags could hold. Don't put it past Murphy and crew to try something similar... STOCK UP NOW!!!!!!!

• Agree 1

so FFL with vested interest in selling ammo tells you they are going up?

nope, ammo is still cheap and plenty of deals to be had.  Hell, on our won board we've got 4k of 223/556 sitting at 250 a case!

I'll buy at 225/case

• Agree 1

I remember in 2016 I stopped by Cabelas in Delaware on my way back from DC, the thursday after Trump's great victory.

There were tables full of ammo all ready for panic buyers, but at semi normal prices. Not too many takers, but I did buy some, as I always did when I happened to be passing by during their operating hours.

The unpleasant memory of the shortages in the 2013-2016 timeframe, especially for 22LR, remains fresh in my mind.  As such over recent years I have made it a priority to acquire an “adequate” amount for my needs.  Each person will need to determine what is “adequate” for them, subject to their shooting habits, financial situation and other priorities.  I have also factored into my thinking something I read online back then.  It read “The ammunition you have on hand may be all that you will ever have”.  Worth pondering. 
My main advice is to not be complacent in this period of good supply and low prices. The supply can turn negative very quickly.  Numerous bills restricting purchase of ammunition were drafted and proposed since 2013  and are just waiting to be again dusted off and rammed through by our NJ legislature and governor. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I don't think demand for ammo has really changed much, but when the largest ammo seller gets out of the business (Walmart) there will be an effect at the retail level.  My FFL can't keep ammo in stock but I haven't seen much change in the prices.  He's always been competitive, maybe a $1 a box more than online.  Difference now is tat his stock turns over every couple of days instead of a couple of weeks.  He's adding more to stock trying to figure the new norm.  

All bets are off as we get closer to the election though.  Panic hoarding will hit again.

4 minutes ago, mustang69 said:

I don't think demand for ammo has really changed much, but when the largest ammo seller gets out of the business (Walmart) there will be an effect at the retail level.  My FFL can't keep ammo in stock but I haven't seen much change in the prices.  He's always been competitive, maybe a $1 a box more than online.  Difference now is tat his stock turns over every couple of days instead of a couple of weeks.  He's adding more to stock trying to figure the new norm.  

All bets are off as we get closer to the election though.  Panic hoarding will hit again.

you buy your ammo from ffl?  why

Supporting your local FFL is a good thing.  We want to keep them around.   

If local pricing is too high relative to online prices, everyone is free to make their own decision as to where they want to spend their money, and the market will eventually adjust accordingly.

But to re-iterate, Supporting your local FFL is a good thing.  We want to keep them around.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 10X said:

Supporting your local FFL is a good thing.  We want to keep them around.   

If local pricing is too high relative to online prices, everyone is free to make their own decision as to where they want to spend their money, and the market will eventually adjust accordingly.

But to re-iterate, Supporting your local FFL is a good thing.  We want to keep them around.   

absolutely its' a GREAT thing!  That said, $1/box more on 5.56, 9mm, etc ranges from 10-25% more in pricing.  That's expensive when you still buy ammo online, no tax (yes some still do), and delivered for much less.  Just today I can buy 1k brass new production 223/556 for 260 delivered no tax and 190 for steel plus tax no shipping.

supporting is one thing but at some point you either buy higher due to absolute need and convenience or you wait for online.

2 hours ago, oldguysrule649 said:

The unpleasant memory of the shortages in the 2013-2016 timeframe, especially for 22LR, remains fresh in my mind.

Mine too, and that's why I decided to never be put in that situation again.

2 hours ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Numerous bills restricting purchase of ammunition were drafted and proposed since 2013  and are just waiting to be again dusted off and rammed through by our NJ legislature and governor. 

A VERY important point. If we get ONE local mass shooting, these bills WILL be signed into law in a week.

Everyone should plan accordingly.

1 hour ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I guess math isn't your strong suit?  lol

Guess reading comprehension isn't yours?  lol

mustang69 lives in NH and is able to source the ammo he wants/needs locally at what he deems a negligible difference in price with what he's sees online.  Don't know why that's hard for you to understand.

If someone is happy with what a local shop is offering and can afford to pay it, then it's a good deal all around.

I'm sure I could get a fantastic price per round if I bought a pallet of .223, but from a practical standpoint it doesn't make any sense for me to do so.  My neighbor seems to go through a great deal of .223 so it might be a no-brainer for him.

Different strokes. 

18 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Guess reading comprehension isn't yours?  lol

mustang69 lives in NH and is able to source the ammo he wants/needs locally at what he deems a negligible difference in price with what he's sees online.  Don't know why that's hard for you to understand.

If someone is happy with what a local shop is offering and can afford to pay it, then it's a good deal all around.

I'm sure I could get a fantastic price per round if I bought a pallet of .223, but from a practical standpoint it doesn't make any sense for me to do so.  My neighbor seems to go through a great deal of .223 so it might be a no-brainer for him.

Different strokes. 

Now you're doubling down on stupid.  See earlier post

3 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

you buy your ammo from ffl?  why

Ok, with all the discussion on this I'll pipe in.  I buy it from my FFL when it makes sense and online when that makes more sense.  I haven't had to buy much lately since I'm fairly stocked up and haven't been shooting much.  Would I pay $12 for a box of 9mm when I can get it on-line for $8?  Nope.  Would I pay $9 if I needed 100 rounds?  Yep.  I usually buy cases online but it never hurts to keep an eye on local prices too.  Sometimes there are deals to be had.

That said, there is a lot to say about supporting your local FFL.  Up here, I've been able to build up a relationship to the point that I get some fantastic deals on firearms from him - I've shared some of them here and some members have gotten the benefit when I've transferred them to you all.  I have no problem paying $10 more for a case of ammo when there are other benefits - transfers at no cost, used firearms at less than wholesale, new firearms at well below street price, free gun cleanings, never mind the ability to just hang out at the shop shooting the shit for a couple hours.  Also, there are quite a few people that come into an FFL to "dispose" of ammo they found when cleaning out a house.  I've been given thousands of rounds of new boxed ammo just because I was sitting in the shop when it came in.  I won't take any reloads though :)

Make your FFL a friend.  They're in business - it doesn't mean they're bad for not being able to compete with on-line prices.  I said the same thing when I was in NJ and it worked there too.  My FFL there is routinely bashed here on the forums, yet I had none of those problems.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

On 2/6/2020 at 12:56 PM, RUTGERS95 said:

so FFL with vested interest in selling ammo tells you they are going up?

nope, ammo is still cheap and plenty of deals to be had.  Hell, on our won board we've got 4k of 223/556 sitting at 250 a case!

I'll buy at 225/case

Ammo is still pretty cheap, but the absolutely bonkers sale prices at the end of last year have gone away.  I've seen multiple reports from multiple vendors that there's pressure from the manufacturers to raise prices.  I expect to see that pressure plus factors involving the pending election to push up prices in the short term.  The expect re-election of President Trump should cause those pressures to drop, especially since it'll coincide with the holiday buying season.  If by some hateful event we wind up with someone other than President Trump, I'd expect the buying pressure to markedly increase, and prices to jump up substantially, as buyers attempt to stock up and sellers attempt to squeeze out as much profit as they can before the bottom falls out from political pressures.

I'm personally suffering from two issues right now; primarily that i'm fucking broke (no snow, no money), and secondary I've got what I consider to be a decent enough stash (partially because it's decently flush, and partially because as I said I'm fucking broke so it better be good enough for now.)

8 hours ago, Sniper said:

Mine too, and that's why I decided to never be put in that situation again.

A VERY important point. If we get ONE local mass shooting, these bills WILL be signed into law in a week.

Everyone should plan accordingly.

Already have.

It's called buy shit online and get it sent to inlaws in PA, to pick up when we go out there randomly.