Golf battery

Ammo increase in price

I feel no sadness for gun owners who need ammo and were already gun owners in 2013. We all knew the days of 9mm for $180/1000 and .223 for $275/1000 were temporary. 

I DO have some sympathy for new shooters. If they're close to me,  we can spend some range time from my stash.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Squaregrouper said:

I feel no sadness for gun owners who need ammo and were already gun owners in 2013. We all knew the days of 9mm for $180/1000 and .223 for $275/1000 were temporary. 

I DO have some sympathy for new shooters. If they're close to me,  we can spend some range time from my stash.

we will see that again, mark my words.  Profits bring players and players bring supply not to mention, there is no way 5mm new gun owners are going to hoard the way some do and we'll see supply.  Won't be for a while, more pain to come but........

then again, I didn't think we'd see these prices in such a rapid fashion but I did not anticipate the riots etc..

• Agree 1

Jus once again.  Gotta say i nailed it huge.  Biggly.  :)   Learn to reload.   !!!!!   Im still in at 13 cents a round for 9mm.  223 @ 17 cents    308 sierra hpbt around 23 cents.   Same for 6.5 c.   Huge learning lesson for y’all.  Be well. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

59 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

Jus once again.  Gotta say i nailed it huge.  Biggly.  :)   Learn to reload.   !!!!!   Im still in at 13 cents a round for 9mm.  223 @ 17 cents    308 sierra hpbt around 23 cents.   Same for 6.5 c.   Huge learning lesson for y’all.  Be well. 

Are Primers available now in market? 

1 hour ago, Golf battery said:

Learn to reload.   !!!!!   Im still in at 13 cents a round for 9mm.  223 @ 17 cents    308 sierra hpbt around 23 cents.   Same for 6.5 c.   Huge learning lesson for y’all.  Be well. 

Does that include the cost of the reloading equipment, time to source all the supplies, and actual labor to reload?

21 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

You know the answer.  You tell me.  Tell me how to pro rate thousands and thousands of rounds to get a per cents price to get to that price.    Put that drink down.  Its almost midnight. 

How would I know that answer? I'm not burning through all those hours, sitting prepping and reloading cases. I just buy it new, by the case. Much easier and quicker. My time is worth something.

5 hours ago, Golf battery said:

You know the answer.  You tell me.  Tell me how to pro rate thousands and thousands of rounds to get a per cents price to get to that price.    Put that drink down.  Its almost midnight. 

Don't bother, dont waste your time.....*everything* is an argument

I often find that those that think they are the smartest people in the room, usually are far from it.

Your stance on reloading is spot on..... 

Casted, sized, lubed, loaded 750 rounds of 147gr 9mm this past weekend...  i think the totality of time was like, dunno 4 hrs...  plus/minus

I don't worry about going to the range to shoot having fun and practicing...why?  I reload and have ammo

I learn more about ballistics and nuances about each gun i shoot....  why? I reload....and learn

I know what's most accurate in some of my favorite rifles....  why?  I reload...and tweak the round, sometimes to the .x grain

:)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Golf battery said:

Pm me if you need help to figure out reloading.  Im more than happy to help my brother shooter 

I’ll take you up on that offer.  I have basic understanding but always want to learn more.  Teach me....I can be a good Padawan 

7 hours ago, Sniper said:

Does that include the cost of the reloading equipment, time to source all the supplies, and actual labor to reload?

Factoring time as cost for a hobby is a fools errand.  That's like saying riding a bike cost a person $x.xx per hour.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sniper said:

How would I know that answer? I'm not burning through all those hours, sitting prepping and reloading cases. I just buy it new, by the case. Much easier and quicker. My time is worth something.

I have a lot of cases of factory ammo stored, but I only shoot my reloads (centerfire handgun). When figuring labor costs you don't get paid while watching TV or surfing the web. I reload during times that are not billable, my time off. It is relaxing and I am still shooting 300 to 400 rds per week on average. All reloads. I reload 45ACP, 44mag, 44spl, 38sp, 357mag, 45 Colt, 500 S&W and 9mm cases more times than you would think possible. It does save loads of money and still allows me to shoot as much as I want. With my Dillon presses I can reload 400 per hour easy. Rifle takes a lot more prep, but I don't shoot rifle in the quantity than I do handgun.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'd rather spend my time reloading over hours spent bitching and complaing on the internet. 

Its a time consuming hobby like most others, there is an initial investment phase, and pay off phase. I started reloading at the age of 25, and I've already paid off those investments of you compare today's prices to what I've loaded in just the past 6 months.

Almost all of my big purchases also came with rebates for free bullets. Both my presses came with 5 boxes of high end boolits. Thats 200 off, and each die set is an additional 20 bucks in bullets. Gotta love Hornady.. and its not like they are enticing you to buy bad products, there stuff works great.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NJSigfan said:

I’ll take you up on that offer.  I have basic understanding but always want to learn more.  Teach me....I can be a good Padawan 

If you want to start a thread, many of us can help with not just basic questions, but some more advanced topics as well. With a number of us reloading on here, we probably all have used a number of different products that make reloading a relatively easy task.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Don't bother, dont waste your time.....*everything* is an argument

I often find that those that think they are the smartest people in the room, usually are far from it.

Your stance on reloading is spot on..... 

Casted, sized, lubed, loaded 750 rounds of 147gr 9mm this past weekend...  i think the totality of time was like, dunno 4 hrs...  plus/minus

I don't worry about going to the range to shoot having fun and practicing...why?  I reload and have ammo

I learn more about ballistics and nuances about each gun i shoot....  why? I reload....and learn

I know what's most accurate in some of my favorite rifles....  why?  I reload...and tweak the round, sometimes to the .x grain

:)

while I'm sitting on enough, I do plan on reloading over the next year.  Something I've been wanting to do for a while but buying 1k 5.56 at 235 and 1k 9mm at 140 a case was a no brainer.  

I just need to purchase a whole set up for 9, 556, 308, 38/357

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sniper said:

Like others, the time I spend on reloading is off the clock time that many/most other people use for watching TV or surfing the web.  Instead, I sit at the reloading bench with a movie or TV show playing on a tablet and I make ammo.

When I'm working from home I sometimes leverage a coffee break as well.  For example, I needed to get some 9mm brass cleaned, so on my way upstairs for coffee I loaded 2 tumblers with brass and steel pins. 

That took about a minute.

While upstairs I filled the tumblers with water, Dawn soap, and lem-shine, AND filled my coffee. 

Another minute.

Went back downstairs towards my office and detoured to put the tumblers on the spinning machine adn turned it on.

MAYBE 20 seconds.

The cases will tumble for a few (or more) hours until I have time to turn them off, rinse, and drain.  I let my cases air dry for a few days so this process is again only a few minutes.

Once you understand what reloading is about and develop a system, you don't have to sink large chunks of billable hours to it.

• Like 2

Good rifle ammo takes time to reload, but for my needs I don’t load a lot of precision ammo on a single stage press, and I can crank out plinking ammo on my progressive press pretty fast.  

I load a lot of handgun ammo. Most of my reloading gear is 20-30 years old, so amortizing the cost would add only insignificant decimal dust to the cost of a reloaded round.  Cost of the gear is significant if you stop loading in a year or two, but it’s insignificant over the long haul, and resale value on presses is very good.  It’s mostly Dillon gear, with a lifetime guarantee, so I have no repair costs.  Tumbling takes a minute to start, three minutes to stop, and I’m doing something else the rest of the time.  

As for the actual loading, a Dillon 550 is rated for 550 rounds an hour-and that’s the second slowest press Dillon makes.   I find they cruise at 400 rounds an hour, once you account for loading primer tubes, and periodically weighing powder charges and measuring case dimensions. So it takes me 7 1/2 minutes to load a box of 50, and having tuned the loads to my guns, the ammo is far more accurate than factory loads.  And it’s hobby time, it’s not like anyone takes time away from a paying job to reload. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RUTGERS95 said:

while I'm sitting on enough, I do plan on reloading over the next year.  Something I've been wanting to do for a while but buying 1k 5.56 at 235 and 1k 9mm at 140 a case was a no brainer.  

.....i like my hornady lnl... its quirky...like me...lol

4 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Factoring time as cost for a hobby is a fools errand.  That's like saying riding a bike cost a person $x.xx per hour.

It does. Not all costs can be quantified in terms of $/hr.  Every activity has an opportunity cost; only you can determine if that cost is worth paying for the activity in question.

2 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

Most people, including myself, can see the benefits of shooting cheap plinking ammo. 

On the other hand, its not entirely comparable when the rounds you produce are match quality. Even a progressive press can put out better consistency than factory ammo. 

I've really taken to rifle loading this past year, its challenging and a little time consumer but the results are fantastic. I actually feel like I have a purpose when I go to the range other than burning a hole in my pocket. 

• Like 1

Another long term reloader here — 30 years

I have never considered my time at the reloading bench as $$$ per hour — it’s free time, relaxing time, my time to do as I choose

I learned from Sandy Hook, never to be without components 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Most people, including myself, can see the benefits of shooting cheap plinking ammo. 

On the other hand, its not entirely comparable when the rounds you produce are match quality. Even a progressive press can put out better consistency than factory ammo. 

I've really taken to rifle loading this past year, its challenging and a little time consumer but the results are fantastic. I actually feel like I have a purpose when I go to the range other than burning a hole in my pocket. 

agree

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Golf battery said:

I have been reloading for a while  (9mm and .223 are new reloads to me), so I understand the optics of reloading.

I don't understand how you're loading .223 @ 17cpr.  I have: dies, brass, primers, H335,  AR Comp, RL15 and 8208XBR- all bought pre panic. For pills, I'm looking at $100/1000 for basic 62gr Hornady. Here is my math...

7000gr = $25, 25gr/7000 = 280 charges per pound. So for easy math, powder is $90/1000 (pre panic)

Primers are $30/1000 (pre panic)

Pills are $100/1000

Reloading equipment, brass and labor are free.

I'm still coming up with 22cpr to load .223 Rem. Are you sitting on a ton of pre-panic pills that were 5 cents or less each? The reason I ask is because I did the math a year ago and decided reloading for $220/1000 wasn't worth it when I could buy factory new for $275/1000 (same reason with 9mm) Conversely, loading: Krag, .303 Savage, .357 Sig and 10mm were no brainers due to the cost savings. 6.5 CM and Grendel are handloaded on a single stage for precision.

31 minutes ago, Squaregrouper said:

I have been reloading for a while  (9mm and .223 are new reloads to me), so I understand the optics of reloading.

I don't understand how you're loading .223 @ 17cpr.  I have: dies, brass, primers, H335,  AR Comp, RL15 and 8208XBR- all bought pre panic. For pills, I'm looking at $100/1000 for basic 62gr Hornady. Here is my math...

7000gr = $25, 25gr/7000 = 280 charges per pound. So for easy math, powder is $90/1000 (pre panic)

Primers are $30/1000 (pre panic)

Pills are $100/1000

Reloading equipment, brass and labor are free.

I'm still coming up with 22cpr to load .223 Rem. Are you sitting on a ton of pre-panic pills that were 5 cents or less each? The reason I ask is because I did the math a year ago and decided reloading for $220/1000 wasn't worth it when I could buy factory new for $275/1000 (same reason with 9mm) Conversely, loading: Krag, .303 Savage, .357 Sig and 10mm were no brainers due to the cost savings. 6.5 CM and Grendel are handloaded on a single stage for precision.

Your pricing is based on recent costs. I have thousands of primers and bullets from 15 years ago that were way cheaper. 5.56 55g and 62g were really cheap years ago. I think the cpr is dependent on when the components were purchased.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

Your pricing is based on recent costs. I have thousands of primers and bullets from 15 years ago that were way cheaper. 5.56 55g and 62g were really cheap years ago. I think the cpr is dependent on when the components were purchased.

so that's not a fair determinant then.  What was ammo costs 15-20yrs ago when started doing this.  I have so much ammo stashed away I'm pulling 20rd boxes of winchester white labeled at 1.99!  Does that mean I'm shooting for 10cents a round as my baseline?  c'mon let's compare apples to apples

no doubt reloading is cheaper but your baseline costs are closing in 2 decades of pricing obsoletism    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RUTGERS95 said:

so that's not a fair determinant then.  What was ammo costs 15-20yrs ago when started doing this.  I have so much ammo stashed away I'm pulling 20rd boxes of winchester white labeled at 1.99!  Does that mean I'm shooting for 10cents a round as my baseline?  c'mon let's compare apples to apples

no doubt reloading is cheaper but your baseline costs are closing in 2 decades of pricing obsoletism    

I am not buying any new primers. Still using the same old stash. I was answering the question about how the poster stated his cost per round. If my costs are obsolete does this mean that I am loading ammo for nothing? i have loaded around 4000 rounds in the past few months and have spent nothing on those primers since 15 years ago. What is my cost then?

6 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

I am not buying any new primers. Still using the same old stash. I was answering the question about how the poster stated his cost per round. If my costs are obsolete does this mean that I am loading ammo for nothing? i have loaded around 4000 rounds in the past few months and have spent nothing on those primers since 15 years ago. What is my cost then?

yes sorry, wasn't meant other than ancillary to what you said but I didn't articulate that well..lol  working on some spreadsheets and doing this too. 

agree

30 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

How about factoring the cost to replace the components at todays prices.

• Like 1