Jump to content
Golf battery

Ammo increase in price

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

How about factoring the cost to replace the components at todays prices.

That's kinda the point I was alluding to earlier. Some are trying to compare the cost of reloading as cheaper than ammo prices TODAY, but they're using components bought pre pandemic YEARS ago. It would be nice to see an apples to apples comparison at today's prices.

When I commented above that the poster was reloading 9mm for 13 cents a round, I paid 16 cents a round for new full cases of 9mm pre pandemic, and it only took a few clicks of a mouse. To me, it wouldn't pay to spend the time and materials to reload at that price.

I get the whole hobby deal, decades ago I reload shotgun shells because we were shooting a lot of clays. But today, I like to make money with my hobbies, that's why I built a few tiny houses on trailers. I can have plenty of hobby time, and double my money investment, at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sniper said:

When I commented above that the poster was reloading 9mm for 13 cents a round, I paid 16 cents a round for new full cases of 9mm pre pandemic, and it only took a few clicks of a mouse. To me, it wouldn't pay to spend the time and materials to reload at that price.

Right. To be meaningful today a cost-per-round number has to compare factory ammo to building the same round with components, all bought with today's pricing. No trips in the Wayback Machine.

With new brass case 9mm going for .60 and up, the components have the edge because re-loaders are a (I don't know exactly) percentage of gun owners. The newbies definitely aren't starting out that way.

And at the moment everything seems to be in very short supply. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Why would you....  ?  Replace them when prices drop....

I sure hope they do. And if they do I'll be buying.

But I'm not counting on that one little bit. No matter what the result of the election is, I foresee the current supply situation getting much worse. Not better. For both firearms and ammunition.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

I sure hope they do. And if they do I'll be buying.

But I'm not counting on that one little bit. No matter what the result of the election is, I foresee the current supply situation getting much worse. Not better. For both firearms and ammunition.

I do not disagree with this at all.....and IF they do storing 20k large rifle primers is easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Factory what? Cheap plinking? 

I load match grade bullets, at match level tolerances.. how much does that ammo cost on a normal day?  

I agree, I load a lot of XTP handgun loads. Pre-pandemic cost is $1/rd for those. Mine are tailored to my needs and are very accurate. I know and control the velocity, etc. This year I am handgun hunting with hand loads. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sniper said:

That's kinda the point I was alluding to earlier. Some are trying to compare the cost of reloading as cheaper than ammo prices TODAY, but they're using components bought pre pandemic YEARS ago. It would be nice to see an apples to apples comparison at today's prices.

When I commented above that the poster was reloading 9mm for 13 cents a round, I paid 16 cents a round for new full cases of 9mm pre pandemic, and it only took a few clicks of a mouse. To me, it wouldn't pay to spend the time and materials to reload at that price.

I get the whole hobby deal, decades ago I reload shotgun shells because we were shooting a lot of clays. But today, I like to make money with my hobbies, that's why I built a few tiny houses on trailers. I can have plenty of hobby time, and double my money investment, at the same time.

I appreciate your point, and reloading is not for everyone.  For someone like you who is financially able to stockpile factory ammo, it may not make sense to have a reloading room setup (provided you have enough to last through the panic).

Some (like me) have a bit of a mixed model where we'll grab good deals on factory ammo when available (people moving, retiring from shooting, dumping unused inventory, etc) as well as grabbing up deals on reloading components.

Also, your 16 cent/round ammo is NOT an apples to apples comparison to my reloads.  Even when I use coated 124 gr bullets (in pretty colors) they're essentially match-grade and loaded to operate well in my pistols.  Rifle ammo is even more extreme as it's dialed in over lots of time at the range with a chronograph.

Again, different strokes for different folks, but I think you dismiss the benefits of reloading without fully understanding it.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JC_68Westy said:

Your pricing is based on recent costs.

BINGO!

Ammo and components are never getting cheaper.  Even when I was overpaying post Sandyhook, I think 48cpr was the most I paid for M855, I knew the price of M855 will eventually be more than that in "normal" times.  48cpr seems cheap right about now. 

The only regret I have is buying M855, that stuff is crap.

 

  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

Factory what? Cheap plinking? 

I load match grade bullets, at match level tolerances..

How many people just go plinking at the range or in their backyards, versus how many are shooting in matches?

17 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

I appreciate your point, and reloading is not for everyone.  For someone like you who is financially able to stockpile factory ammo, it may not make sense to have a reloading room setup (provided you have enough to last through the panic).

After the Sandy Hook shooting, where prices went crazy and inventory disappeared, I vowed NEVER to get caught with my pants down when needing ammo, and made the investment to be prepared. Based what's going on now, that gamble paid off. Many of you guys have been around the block, and saw what was going on, too... It all comes down to priorities.

20 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Also, your 16 cent/round ammo is NOT an apples to apples comparison to my reloads.  Even when I use coated 124 gr bullets (in pretty colors) they're essentially match-grade and loaded to operate well in my pistols.  Rifle ammo is even more extreme as it's dialed in over lots of time at the range with a chronograph.

That's probably correct. But I'm not shooting matches or need that accuracy. We shoot for fun and sport and entertainment. There's so much to shooting, and the majority of it is technique and shooter error, there's no way I could tell the difference between match grade and standard factory loads.

22 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Again, different strokes for different folks, but I think you dismiss the benefits of reloading without fully understanding it.

I'm not dismissing anything and I get it. Like I said, we reloaded a ton shotgun in the past. I even love new tools and gadgets, and would buy a compete reloading system if it made sense. Right now, it doesn't. If I had to pay 60 cents to $1 a round for 9mm now, I might reconsider. But then, the cost of cases, primers, etc. has gone nuts too, so there's that..

I've been looking to buy some land so we can build our own tactical type range. Maybe at that point, and we're blowing through tons of ammo, it would make sense to reload.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

If you take your time and look around, reloading components are available today at pretty much price as they were months ago! The exception to this is primers. I just got 3x 1lb of Universal from Midway at a normal price!

Not to mention primers and powder are cheap enough to stack it, and they last a very long time. 

You can then buy boolits which are also at normal prices today as you require.. 

This idea you need everything at once is silly, and there will never be an apples to apples comparison with being your own supply chain to purchasing a complete product.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Why would you....  ?  Replace them when prices drop....

 

 

Agreed — buy cheap when available to get through times like this — no need to buy now

I can probably go 2 years without needing anything but projectiles — thats going to the range at least 2 times a month

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

Agreed — buy cheap when available to get through times like this — no need to buy now

I can probably go 2 years without needing anything but projectiles — thats going to the range at least 2 times a month

 

That's why i cast as well.....  well started again.

 

Over the years i accumulated lead...  i made sure i had molds for the calibers i shoot....

Never really needed them...when i could not find what i wanted...i made my own...  like 9mm today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

That's why i cast as well.....  well started again.

 

Over the years i accumulated lead...  i made sure i had molds for the calibers i shoot....

Never really needed them...when i could not find what i wanted...i made my own...  like 9mm today.

 

I’ve never really come across a good source of lead probably why I never casted my own — Funny thing is I looked hard at the bullet trap at the range this week, looking at all the lead in there...?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Heavyopp said:

 

I’ve never really come across a good source of lead probably why I never casted my own — Funny thing is I looked hard at the bullet trap at the range this week, looking at all the lead in there...?

 

Wheel weights have served me quite well for plinking ammo - and when mixed correctly can be run at higher velocities...no problem.

Lead can also be bought online 'cheap'....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2020 at 1:34 PM, USRifle30Cal said:

Agree- 90% of my casting hoarding hardware - is for when boolits are NOT readily available.

I have a great access to wheel weight takeoffs,

be careful. we've been phasing out of using lead weights for over a year now. i can't buy lead wheel weights for the shop anymore.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

be careful. we've been phasing out of using lead weights for over a year now. i can't buy lead wheel weights for the shop anymore.

Switching to depleted uranium?  Not many things approach the density of lead.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm who initially questioned the reloading price for .223...

A year ago, it made zero sense to me to reload .223 or 9mm, as the case prices for live ammo wasn't much more than reloading. In 2019 my costs were roughly as follows:

1k live .223 was $275. Reloading 1k .223 was $220/1k + 5hrs of time

1k live 9mm was $180. Reloading 1k 9mm was $135 + 4hrs of time

With the current prices of live ammo, reloading the above calibers is something I'm now doing. I wasn't trying to start trouble, but 16cpr to 22cpr is a huge % difference. I was wondering how he was doing it for so cheap. FWIW, the primers and powders have been in my man cave for several years, as I load .300AAC, 6.5 Grendel and .357 Sig. The only thing I have to buy is projectiles and they aren't too far off from what they used to be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

be careful. we've been phasing out of using lead weights for over a year now. i can't buy lead wheel weights for the shop anymore.

I thought they phased lead out years ago, I couldn't find any on the market when I looked 2 or 3 years ago.. only massive steel weights now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 10X said:

Switching to depleted uranium?  Not many things approach the density of lead.

i'm not sure what they're made of....but they're physically bigger

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

I thought they phased lead out years ago, I couldn't find any on the market when I looked 2 or 3 years ago.. only massive steel weights now.

they stopped making them that long ago...up to about a year ago, i was able to get lead. since then, they've been something else.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...