Golf battery

Ammo increase in price

4 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

I totally respect people who reload, and I can see how one could save money, and create more accurate rounds for those into precision shooting.  But what I don't get is just as ammo becomes scarce during crisis times, isn't the same true for bullets and primers?

Call me lazy, but I would rather work a little harder at my job, put the funds into buying factory manufactured ammo when it's relatively inexpensive, and store it for a figurative rainy day.  

Roading scarcity tends to trail retail. The other thing is that the component business caters to bulk buyers.  

The other thing is that while anything can get scarce, usually not all the stuff is scarce at once. So you can buy more ammo in parts. 

Also the prices never seen to get quite as out of hand. When.223 hit $499 a case as a regular price, components to make a case only cost me about $280 peak. 

For reloading.  Get an 8lb jug of powder.  It makes approximate 8k rounds.  When panic hits like it has.  I ordered 7 k in primers and bullet heads.  Powder when sealed and kept correctly is good for atleast 20 years.  There is no debate.  Become knowledgeable in reloading.   Ps.  My machine has plenty of dust on it because for years now ammo is cents close to what it costs to reload.  But now i have the upper hand and no need to worry 

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

For reloading.  Get an 8lb jug of powder.  It makes approximate 8k rounds.  When panic hits like it has.  I ordered 7 k in primers and bullet heads.  Powder when sealed and kept correctly is good for atleast 20 years.  There is no debate.  Become knowledgeable in reloading.   Ps.  My machine has plenty of dust on it because for years now ammo is cents close to what it costs to reload.  But now i have the upper hand and no need to worry 

Depends on the powder. 8lbs of titegroup makes 12000-15000 rounds of the stuff I typically load. 

28 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

An 8 pound jug of H335 nets me almost 2300 rounds of .223 Zombie (SS109) ammo.

As raz-0 said, Titegroup goes a looooong way!!

I am using Hodgdon BL-C(2) for .223 55 grain SP. Any reason why H355 would be a better powder  for me?

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

Any reason why H355 would be a better powder  for me?

You won't know until you try it.  Buy 1# and work up them loads.  Could be the best powder ever.  Could be the worst.  Could be the worst only when it's cold.  Could be a laser with the right bullet and the right charge.

You just won't know till you work it out for yourself.  There is no universal best powder.  The gun decides what it likes. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

An 8 pound jug of H335 nets me almost 2300 rounds of .223 Zombie (SS109) ammo.

As raz-0 said, Titegroup goes a looooong way!!

Ah yeah. Rifle.  I use tac and an 8lb jug gets me about 2300 as well. 

1 hour ago, raz-0 said:

Depends on the powder. 8lbs of titegroup makes 12000-15000 rounds of the stuff I typically load. 

One pound of BL-C(2)  only gave me about 300 rounds of .223.  Was 12,000 to 15,000 for 8 pounds a typo?

11 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

One pound of BL-C(2)  only gave me about 300 rounds of .223.  Was 12,000 to 15,000 for 8 pounds a typo?

Titegroup is pistol powder.  9mm, .40, and.45 all use between 3.5 and 4.7 grains. 

• Thanks 1

Clays gets me at least 8 k rounds for 38 sp.  im a geeky revolver guy.  For 9’s. I use cfe pistol. Atleast the same.  My point is.  When shtf.  Us reloaders dont even skip a beat.  We just adjust and make our own. Self reliant.  Like the Americans we are.  And like the Marine i am.  I will come on top.     Guys and gal.  Learn to reload.  Be self sufficient.     Right #glenninjersey im sure you’re not as concerned because you’re now  in the Know.  !!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, raz-0 said:

Titegroup is pistol powder.  9mm, .40, and.45 all use between 3.5 and 4.7 grains. 

It's a "low weight" powder. 

Everyone told me to steer clear of it as a newbie. f that. I love the stuff. It meters very well and consistently. I have a cop out die, and inspect my drops.

11 hours ago, raz-0 said:

Ah yeah. Rifle.  I use tac and an 8lb jug gets me about 2300 as well. 

That's pretty standard Varget and CFE223 both get about the same.

13 hours ago, Golf battery said:

And like the Marine i am.  I will come on top.

Marines only come on top of other marines, in the barracks, while playing Golden Eye, eating hot pockets, drinking Keystone Lite, listening to Creed.  

• Informative 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Marines only come on top of other marines, in the barracks, while playing Golden Eye, eating hot pockets, drinking Keystone Lite, listening to Creed.  

I have never played Golden Eye in my life...

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1

20 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

I was watching to see how long it would last 90 cases in 35 min.

That's not too bad.  I remember back in '14, the minute ammo went up on a site, it would be overwhelmed in minutes and crash.  The ones that didn't crash were sold out in minutes.

8 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

If that's what the Marines do I'd hate to hear what the Coast Guard does......

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, fishnut said:

If that's what the Marines do I'd hate to hear what the Coast Guard does......

Replace Golden Eye with Twisted Metal 3

Replace Hot Pockets with Cup O Noodles

Replace Keystone Light with Corona 

Replace Creed with Jimmy Buffet/Bob Marley

I learned my lesson after the post Sandy Hook panic buy. I have slowly built up my stores of the "cheap" ammo I didn't reload. With what prices were for 9mm and .223/5.56, I didn't see a point in reloading them. A case of 1000 was going for close to what I could load them for myself.  When Walmart stopped selling pistol and "scary rifle" ammo (I'm in Marylandistan) they knocked them down to stupid cheap prices. I loaded up with 10k+ rounds, much to my wife's chagrin.

I load my own PRS rounds in 6.5CM and 6.5 Grendel as well as rounds that are far cheaper to roll my own- .357 Sig and 10mm, I'm talking to you. I find it crazy that I can load .357 Sig for $.02cpr more than 9mm.

FWIW- I switched from Power Pistol to Longshot for the above pistol rounds and my wallet really thanked me.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 7:22 PM, Squaregrouper said:

I learned my lesson after the post Sandy Hook panic buy. I have slowly built up my stores of the "cheap" ammo I didn't reload. With what prices were for 9mm and .223/5.56, I didn't see a point in reloading them. A case of 1000 was going for close to what I could load them for myself.  When Walmart stopped selling pistol and "scary rifle" ammo (I'm in Marylandistan) they knocked them down to stupid cheap prices. I loaded up with 10k+ rounds, much to my wife's chagrin.

I load my own PRS rounds in 6.5CM and 6.5 Grendel as well as rounds that are far cheaper to roll my own- .357 Sig and 10mm, I'm talking to you. I find it crazy that I can load .357 Sig for $.02cpr more than 9mm.

FWIW- I switched from Power Pistol to Longshot for the above pistol rounds and my wallet really thanked me.

I use Longshot for 10mm.  Its awesome.

28 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

So any new reloaders out there?

That might be tough. 2-3 weeks after ammo prices skyrocketed and then dried up, reloading components: powder, primers and projectiles dried up too.

The above being said, I would advise any new reloaders buy a cheap Lee single stage (part #90045) and a balance beam scale. Doing one thing at a time and hand weighing every round makes it much easier to focus and learn the basics.

We have finally reached the point that I can set up one of my Dillon's for 9mm again.  It has been quite a while since I have reloaded 9mm but I have a lot of components and now that I shoot in my backyard I am going through a lot of 9mm. It is amazing how fast the availability disappeared and the price of 9mm skyrocketed with the latest civil unrest. A lot of the 9mm components I have right now are from 12 years ago.

• Agree 1

Just a side note. Tonight I went on Gallery Of Guns for chuckles. There are NO M&P, H&K or Sig pistols in stock at all!

Three Sig pistols did show up as 'in Stock', but when I went to the item the 'Quantity available' was ZERO!

I can only hope this means a bevy of new owners prepared to tell the gun control zealots GFY.

Note.: No Glocks either!

Edited by 45Doll
Note added.
  • Like 1