dino71

Has anyone done a "RUN & GUN" (Centerfire Competition)?

I did a cursory search online about competitions of this nature and found that most of them are not near New Jersey but there are a few in Kentucky and some in South Carolina. I was just curious if anyone on here might me interested in venturing out to do one of these competition with me. From what I see it requires an AR and a hand gun and something to hold the magazines. I have completed countless XC races, 10k's and 1/2 marathons and would like to combine these two hobbies. Any takers? Maybe we can start team New Jersey?

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

Running makes tired and weights are heavy...... soooo I don’t do them

Come on man! The running is the best part and the shooting is the icing on the cake....there will be cake and cookies after the run. I was hoping to maybe start a team, maybe take a road trip to Kentucky and do one of the competitions :D 

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, dino71 said:

I did a cursory search online about competitions of this nature and found that most of them are not near New Jersey but there are a few in Kentucky and some in South Carolina. I was just curious if anyone on here might me interested in venturing out to do one of these competition with me. From what I see it requires an AR and a hand gun and something to hold the magazines. I have completed countless XC races, 10k's and 1/2 marathons and would like to combine these two hobbies. Any takers? Maybe we can start team New Jersey?

Don't they run three gun matches right here in NJ?    That seems to be what you're describing, though three gun is heavy on the shooting, kinda light on the running.

Summer biathlon is also a thing; more running, but the only shooting is with a .22 rifle.

1 hour ago, 10X said:

Don't they run three gun matches right here in NJ?    That seems to be what you're describing, though three gun is heavy on the shooting, kinda light on the running.

Summer biathlon is also a thing; more running, but the only shooting is with a .22 rifle.

The ones I am talking about range from 5K to 10K and there are obstacles. I might have to drive to Kentucky to do one. I was trying to garner some interest on here.

1 hour ago, dino71 said:

Come on man! The running is the best part and the shooting is the icing on the cake....there will be cake and cookies after the run. I was hoping to maybe start a team, maybe take a road trip to Kentucky and do one of the competitions :D 

This sounds like a deliverance meet up...

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 1:26 PM, Handyman said:

C'mon, you'll shoot your eye out. 

I am good Handyman, but I do worry a little that no one from the board wants to participate in this type of event. Isn't it boring just standing like a bump on a log and just shoot? Perhaps I need to start a trend and get some hearts pumping on here! :D Anyone up for a ten mile run today? :ninja:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, dino71 said:

I am good Handyman, but I do worry a little that no one from the board wants to participate in this type of event. Isn't it boring just standing like a bump on a log and just shoot? Perhaps I need to start a trend and get some hearts pumping on here! :D Anyone up for a ten mile run today? :ninja:

That’s like fiddy thousand feet! I only have 2 .5 feet 

On 2/7/2020 at 9:24 AM, 10X said:

About twenty years ago, I participated in a summer biathlon at a range in North Jersey.  At 50m, you are shooting at a 11cm plate standing and a 5cm plate in the prone.  It was a humbling experience!

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 8:48 AM, dino71 said:

USPSA and 3 gun is hardly standing like a bump on a log while shooting. The last thing I want to do is introduce less shooting and more not shooting and more work into a day of competition. I've got a gym membership for my cardio. 

Heck just actually help reset stages and you will get your 5k in for the day real easy. RO a lot and you'll get your 10k in too. 

• Like 1

There is a summer biathlon series mostly based in PA that used to have a single race at Cherry Ridge in NJ.  I competed in it about 6 years ago (and took first place in my age class), and I believe that was the last event they ever held in NJ.

Edit - I think this is it:

https://pabiathlon.com/events/

@dino71 - if you find something that is reasonably close to NJ please let me know.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

There is a summer biathlon series mostly based in PA that used to have a single race at Cherry Ridge in NJ.  I competed in it about 6 years ago (and took first place in my age class), and I believe that was the last event they ever held in NJ.

Edit - I think this is it:

https://pabiathlon.com/events/

@dino71 - if you find something that is reasonably close to NJ please let me know.

I would be interested too in something decently close to NJ!

10 hours ago, dino71 said:

That sounds like what they do in the winter Olympics when they ski/shoot. 

It is.  The difference is, in a winter biathlon, you set out on skis with your rifle slung on your back.  In the summer biathlon, the rifle is waiting for you at your shooting position when you get back from your run.  At least that's how I remember it.

13 hours ago, dilbert1967 said:

It is.  The difference is, in a winter biathlon, you set out on skis with your rifle slung on your back.  In the summer biathlon, the rifle is waiting for you at your shooting position when you get back from your run.  At least that's how I remember it.

I saw the link that DirtyDigz posted and looked at all their events, it seems very cool but I was looking for something more like this this

https://www.recoilweb.com/what-are-run-and-gun-competitions-140905.html

Where you run with an AR type rifle and a handgun and there are some pretty cool obstacles too. I might be doing one in South Carolina and I am waiting to hear back from them....road trip anyone? :ninja:

1 hour ago, dino71 said:

I saw the link that DirtyDigz posted and looked at all their events, it seems very cool but I was looking for something more like this this

https://www.recoilweb.com/what-are-run-and-gun-competitions-140905.html

Where you run with an AR type rifle and a handgun and there are some pretty cool obstacles too. I might be doing one in South Carolina and I am waiting to hear back from them....road trip anyone? :ninja:

That reminds me too much of basic training.  If  I had to do "for real", I could.  But that is no longer "fun" for me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dino71 said:

...I might be doing one in South Carolina and I am waiting to hear back from them....road trip anyone? :ninja:

I read the article you linked, have never tried an event like that but am very interested.  Please keep me posted on that South Carolina event - got the details handy?