Guarddog313

Tac 13 arm brace.

So I bought a tac 13 and I was looking at adding an arm brace to it. I was told by a local gun range manager its illegal to put a pistol grip arm brace on a semi auto firearm

Anyone know what the law says about this in nj? And if it is illegal is there any brace that does not have a pistol grip on it because I could not find any .and I apologize in advance if this question already came up as I could not.fimd anything in the search for tac 13.

Pistol grip doesn't matter, because it's classified as a "pistol gripped shotgun" like the mossberg cruiser, which has a pistol grip and 17" barrel, and is legal in NJ.  It's still just a firearm, as it's still not designed to be fired from the shoulder, and the pistol grip doesn't matter because it's not a shotgun so "assault shotgun" rules don't apply.

There is one thing that needs to be considered.. 

WHAT EVERY YOU PUT ON IT, IT MUST BE 26" OAL WITH OUT anything that is removable. Unless there is a pistol grip out there that has an extension tube that is permanently attached, IT IS A NO GO.

SO you would need to remove brace and the extension tube from the new pistol grip. and measure OAL.

The configuration below is a NO GO on a tac 13

xl_100039624_2.jpg

1 hour ago, PK90 said:

OAL is measured from the muzzle to the end of the tube after removing the brace. Remington, Mossberg, and Black Aces sell 14" and 10" barreled PGF with the braces.

This is correct... folding braces is now the issue where OAL is questioned (even though it wasn’t).

I’m doing an AOW stamp on my TAC-14 for that.

On 2/11/2020 at 8:11 PM, PK90 said:

OAL is measured from the muzzle to the end of the tube after removing the brace. Remington, Mossberg, and Black Aces sell 14" and 10" barreled PGF with the braces.

If i recall correctly, the ATF letter stated that anything which artificially elongated the firearm and served no purposed had to be removed to measure OAL. So that means the buffer tube on a tac 14 is not measured if its removable since it serves no purpose... unlike an ar-15 

Top of page 2

https://princelaw.files.wordpress.com/2019/07/atf-folded-brace_redacted.pdf 

Im sure you could find a way to make it permanently part of the grip... JUST to be safe cause the ATF really will just F over anyone. 

As stated, folding braces are measured when folded to reach the 26" minimum. How can you have a brace without the extension? Somebody should tell those manufacturers their breaking the law. :facepalm:

9 hours ago, PK90 said:

As stated, folding braces are measured when folded to reach the 26" minimum. How can you have a brace without the extension? Somebody should tell those manufacturers their breaking the law. :facepalm:

Im just pointing out they elaborated on it. I didn't write the letter nor do I enforce it... 

The whole point they are arguing is that a brace is irrelevant to measurements.. that anything deemed an "accessory" is irrelevant to oal as well.

The way they explained it would include, whether they intended to or not, anything that serves no function to the classification of a firearm or the function of the weapon is not measured... that reasoning would stand for other similar "accessories"

It stands to reason, if they want you to remove the brace for the only reason it being an accessory.. why not the superficial extension tube? Unlike on an Ar-15, it is an accessory in this case... by that removing the brace and extension tube, the weapon is still fully functional and has not changed its classification. 

Will the ATF figure that out? Who knows... but it's all there already if they wanted to enforce it, even if they currently do not.

Just trying to provide the bigger picture here.