Sniper

Trump to Attend the Daytona 500 this weekend

Scary ending...... we nearly lost another driver.....

One of the worst case impacts.... upside down and hit on the drivers A-Piller ..... He is lucky to be alive. Now we wait and see how bad Ryan's injuries are....

My prayers are sent for him...... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

missed the race. saw the video of the crash. sadly, looks like 12 wrecked the person that was about to win the race.

I don't think it was an intentional wreck, as the entire race there had been a lot of marque teaming going on.
Although, Newman did come down in front of Blaney; whether it was to block or to try and pass Hamlin on the low side.

5 hours ago, 67gtonut said:

Scary ending...... we nearly lost another driver.....

There's been no updates to his condition, after all this time. It's not looking good....  My guess, he has severe head injuries or a major spinal cord injury. If you look at the picture below, the whole top of the driver compartment was crushed. There isn't a lot of headroom in there, and Newman isn't a small guy.

11 minutes ago, Sota said:

Although, Newman did come down in front of Blaney; whether it was to block or to try and pass Hamlin on the low side.

Blocking is the SOP on these types of racing. They don't have a choice if they want to win. All the drivers need to step up and force NASCAR to change the rules, this door to door racing tears up way too much equipment and injuries too may drivers.

RN.jpg

34 minutes ago, Sota said:

I don't think it was an intentional wreck, as the entire race there had been a lot of marque teaming going on.

i fully believe it was unintentional....but it looked to me like he was going for a pass......newman blocked him, he looked to try to go high, couldn't, then contact, then crash

i think that it's gonna be reviewed and something is gonna be done to the 12 though

6 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

i fully believe it was unintentional....but it looked to me like he was going for a pass......newman blocked him, he looked to try to go high, couldn't, then contact, then crash

i think that it's gonna be reviewed and something is gonna be done to the 12 though

I suspect Blaney is doing enough to himself right now.

7 hours ago, Sniper said:

There's been no updates to his condition, after all this time. It's not looking good....  My guess, he has severe head injuries or a major spinal cord injury. If you look at the picture below, the whole top of the driver compartment was crushed. There isn't a lot of headroom in there, and Newman isn't a small guy.

Blocking is the SOP on these types of racing. They don't have a choice if they want to win. All the drivers need to step up and force NASCAR to change the rules, this door to door racing tears up way too much equipment and injuries too may drivers.

RN.jpg

Yep. "Spec" cars with frankly spec drivers at the pointy end of the field, and you wind up with what we saw this race.

1 hour ago, Sota said:

I suspect Blaney is doing enough to himself right now.

I dunno about him......but i'd still be beside myself. I don't honestly know how i'd handle it if I did that to someone...…..my ass would be by his bed when he woke up though. 

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

Ryan Newman is ok. He's awake and talking.

Not sure about that yet... he might we awake and talking, but be a quad with a spinal cord injury.

In decades of watching racing, I've never seen such a long delay to report exactly what the injuries are. That doesn't look good.

10 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

Watch the replay, unfortunately this was caused by Newman trying to block. NOT Blaney's fault. Newman went all the way down to the double yellows to try and block Blaney. Blaney had a big push from Hamlin, and was coming... Hell, Blaney almost lost control from the hard push by Hamlin.

Newman was doing what any other driver would do coming to the checkers, protecting his position... sadly, crap happens in those situations. It's the nature of this type of racing...

Yeah - Blaney pushed Newman to 1st... then Hamlin came up behind Blaney and was pushing him.  Blaney got loose then dropped down and Hamlin had the slingshot.... unfortunately Newman wasn't able to hold and Blaney got into him.. and unfortunately spun out Newman.  

Newman hit the wall doing like 200... and then got airborne.... then got creamed by LaJoie who had no way to avoid it...  

@Sniper - yes you're right - He's awake but we don't know his actual condition.  They said "serious condition but non life-threatening".  Dale Jr. was saying he's still concerned about Newman's condition.  We'll know more when they release it.  I do feel like there may be something more serious and they're waiting to release info.

10 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

@Sniper - yes you're right - He's awake but we don't know his actual condition.  They said "serious condition but non life-threatening".  Dale Jr. was saying he's still concerned about Newman's condition.  We'll know more when they release it.  I do feel like there may be something more serious and they're waiting to release info.

That's what I'm wondering too. In every case I can remember, there was an update on what the actual injuries were. Not in this case. Even this morning, the only report is that he's talking to family and doctors, but is in serious condition. Wifey, who is a medical professional, also thinks it might be a spinal cord issue, after taking a closer look at the condition of the car. Not sure why it's taking days to give a better update on him. He just announced he was splitting  up with his wife. Maybe some legal issues intertwined in it.

Never underestimate the power of the Rednecks!

KBDaBear @kbdabear
3m

"Uneducated Southern rubes" designed and built the frame and roll cage that enabled Ryan Newman to walk out of the hospital 2 days after that horrific crash "Educated urban elites" designed the app that couldn't count votes in Iowa.

• Like 1