JHZR2

Garages/Barns/Warehouses for Personal Use

Like many small suburban NJ towns, space is at a premium and expensive.  But since we live in a small state, and more rural land isn’t that far away, I’m looking to get more room for hobbies like cars, woodworking, etc. (not necessarily shooting but that would be an added plus). Since this is a site of primarily NJ folks, I’m hoping for some insight. Target area is 295-55-40 triangle, though I’d consider something close to wildwood/cape may , or if affordable, around 16w on the turnpike (less ideal but I know the area well).

i know every town zones differently, and zoning officers can be lax or sticklers. But I’m looking for essentially a pole barn, big garage,,or standalone warehouse just to get more room. 1000-1500sf would be ideal.  I don’t want to move, and don’t want to babysit property, so I really want a standalone no frills garage. I don’t need a storefront, office, or even a bathroom.  Water would be nice but more to wash cars than anything else.

The challenge is that this seems like an impossible ask.  On residential land it seems impossible to get a sizable structure, at least to construct as new, because it’s an accessory structure and needs to have a residence associated.  Usually that residence construction needs to be permitted before the accessory building too.  There are places where garages exist (eg where a house burned down), but my experience is that towns want a CO for a residence and garage, and so if one goes and uses the garage, they’re in violation without having at least active construction occurring.  Ag land seems plausible, but Qfarm ratings require 5 Acres. 

So I’m sort of at a loss.  I see properties like I want, not many for sale. I don’t really want a real warehouse, at least not one in an industrial park, because I don’t want HOA type fees for upkeep.  

Any recommendations on how to find, and what to ask for in trying to get to yes with zoning in NJ towns?  If it becomes too expensive it would be worth renting, don’t want to outlay hundreds of thousands of dollars  I think that a reasonable “barn” as I’d like can be achieved for around $30k plus the land, but it’s gettting approved to do this that is the issue  

Recommendations?  Thanks!

12 minutes ago, dajonga said:

You say 295/55/40 corridor. That is only a a few miles from PA. Would a place 20 miles into PA work for you? I would assume PA rules would be easier to deal with.

Think of all the cool toys you could have in the shop gun safe!

1 hour ago, Sota said:

Seriously... MOVE.

Fuck this state and the nazi assholes that run the small local gestapo offices.

You realize that zoning is applied everywhere across the COUNTRY, generally - at least in relatively inhabited places?  I have a friend in rural Indiana that had challenges. It’s not just NJ. 

That said, it would be interesting to know if there are any unincorporated areas in NJ that are actually accessible by roads and do not have zoning ordinances - are develop at will so long as state DEP and whatever else is satisfied.  

1 hour ago, dajonga said:

You say 295/55/40 corridor. That is only a a few miles from PA. Would a place 20 miles into PA work for you? I would assume PA rules would be easier to deal with.

PA would be fine, DE as well. The challenge really is that once you’re much south of Easton/Allentown PA, there’s not much hope.  

Philly has sprawl, and either there’s the city, or Chester, or Wilmington.  Getting west of that is a far worse hassle than driving anyplace in NJ IMO. Philly would be reasonable for me, but RE has gone way up. You can find stand-alone garages in Kensington for somewhat reasonable pricing, but it’s the city, it’s Kensington, and the space is limiting. 

The other side to this is that it has to be a reasonable distance if used for hobbies.  Otherwise one will never use it.  To drive two hours round trip to go mess around on some projects for a couple hours is hardly worth it. 

All that said, these aren’t readily listed or easily found properties.  Any leads I’d appreciate folks letting me know.  Simple, cheap, low tax of course are the key attributes :)

There is a building for sale down my street.  It used to host a moving company and is fairly secluded.  Not large enough for an indoor range but certainly good enough for work area/car storage, etc.   Been for sale since I was born, not sure why.  This is just north of 295/rt 130.  I've always intended to call the agent to get the ask, but just never followed up.

2 hours ago, AlDente67 said:

There is a building for sale down my street.  It used to host a moving company and is fairly secluded.  Not large enough for an indoor range but certainly good enough for work area/car storage, etc.   Been for sale since I was born, not sure why.  This is just north of 295/rt 130.  I've always intended to call the agent to get the ask, but just never followed up.

Location?