BK Panther

Slugs and chokes

Slugs will shoot out of any choke, even full.  However, it is generally accepted that a choke of Cyl or IC is appropriate and IC usually offers the best accuracy potential.  Do not remove the choke and shoot slugs (or anything for that matter), you will foul up the threads and have some extra cleaning to do that can be a pita.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BK Panther said:

What are "Cyl or IC"?

Chokes are rated by constriction.  Cyl means cylinder, or no choke, same as the bore.  IC means improved cylinder, it is only slightly tighter than the bore.  Then comes Modified, which falls in the middle, and then there is Full.  There are other chokes in between like IM improved-modified or extra full and Turkey which is pretty much the same as extra full.

shot_strings_choke_effect.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative 3

1 hour ago, Twism86 said:

I can also shoot buckshot through my shotgun with a modified choke? 

Yep.  Keep in mind though, soft shot can deform as it compresses in the choke and become less predictable for a good pattern.  This is true for any size shot, whether it be birdshot or buckshot. 

As a rule of thumb, Cyl and IC will give the best patterns with any type of shot, and will be effective out to 40 yards.  If you are shooting longer distances (or just want better patterns all the time), buffered shot will help keep those patterns tight.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Twism86 said:

So I guess by the previous responses I can also shoot buckshot through my shotgun with a modified choke? 

Yes.

BUT, you should pattern a variety of buckshot loads to see what shoots the best in your gun.