Bully

Getting My FFL - My Journey

26 minutes ago, PK90 said:

You're on the fast track so far. Hope you don't wait too many months for the NJFL and FFL to be issued.

Thanks.  I got lucky as the town has another FFL so it was not something they could claim to "prohibit" or whatever word they would want to throw at it.  

Calling NJSP and ATF shortly.  

On 2/27/2020 at 9:42 PM, brucin said:

Best of luck. NJ can always use another FFL.

Is Loretta going to come to the grand opening?:laugh:

On 2/28/2020 at 5:40 AM, Bully said:

I would be happy to have her.

So there's going to be turkey necks at the Grand Opening ??

Deep fried or grilled ??

:danced:

On 3/9/2020 at 7:47 PM, Bully said:

I'm heading to Best Buy to look at computers now.  But wanted to check in and fill in the blanks from the weekend and today.  

I your a MAC guy wait a few days --  costco is having a sale on Imacs -- $200 off from March 11 to April 5 

8 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

I your a MAC guy wait a few days --  costco is having a sale on Imacs -- $200 off from March 11 to April 5 

Thank you but I’m not really a computer guy. I have and use, but have zero loyalty to any platform. 

16 minutes ago, Bully said:

Thank you but I’m not really a computer guy. I have and use, but have zero loyalty to any platform. 

You will want to base that on the FFL software(s) you plan to/need to use.  I see a lot of FFLs using macs... not sure if thats because the better FFL software is only available on a mac or what not but that's what i would base your platform choice on.

3 minutes ago, Lakota said:

You will want to base that on the FFL software(s) you plan to/need to use.  I see a lot of FFLs using macs... not sure if thats because the better FFL software is only available on a mac or what not but that's what i would base your platform choice on.

Thank you.  Very solid advice.  My boss just had to scrap two Mac's as the hardware and software are incompatible.  Pricey mistake.

I got a "coupon" for 20% off the alarm system I was looking at.  It will be here Friday the 13th.  So, that's done. I'll get it installed Sunday, if it all goes well.  

I was going to mail the application fee to NJSP, but when I went to the post office, his machine for printing money orders was down.  It will go out today as unfortunately work is on the slow side right now, so I have time.  

I spoke to one of the ATF agents that works northern NJ.  Straight shooter it seems.  He gave me some guidelines to follow to hopefully streamline the application process.  It was very helpful.  

1 hour ago, silverado427 said:

Good luck with your Journey . I hope you get it done before Gov  I mean  Mr Ed raise's the fee's.

Thank you. 

Application sent to NJSP along with the application fee. 
$389+$75=$464 so far

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 7:52 AM, Lakota said:

There's "FFL Software" out there?  (I'm a software guy)  I would expect the "better" software to be web-based - we call that SaaS (Software as a Service).

What do FFLs use?  I'm curious.

Oh wow!

https://www.fflboss.com/ and it's SaaS just as I expected!

FFL Boss is an FFL software application that runs in the cloud, there is no software to download or setup. FFL Boss works on Windows, Macs, iPads, ChromeOS, Tablets or any internet connected device. 

1 minute ago, Lakota said:

given the nature of gun registries.. I think the "cloud" is the last place anyone would really want their gun info being stored.

Well, I mean, it’s already going to state and federal agencies. So, you know, they already have it. 
regardless, this is about opening an FFL. Please don’t step too far off the path and descend down the tinfoil hat rabbit hole. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Alarm system is in.
I'm waiting to hear back from NJSP.  I've been calling for a few days and no one is picking up or returning my call.  I imagine that with the whole virus thing they're tied up, but it is a bit frustrating.  I'll keep at it.  

Currently I am "laid off" and awaiting the whole virus thing to blow over.  Hoping that happens pretty soon.  Push comes to shove I will bail.  I don't want to do that but if that's what it takes, it's what will happen.  

On 3/12/2020 at 1:48 PM, Bully said:

Well, I mean, it’s already going to state and federal agencies. So, you know, they already have it. 
regardless, this is about opening an FFL. Please don’t step too far off the path and descend down the tinfoil hat rabbit hole. 

Just ask yourself, when it was the last time you heard a book being hacked or being taken over and held for hansom? Because it happens all the time with internet connected systems.

Just seeing this now.  First off, congrats!  Hope this works out well for you.  This is an interesting topic to me as I'd love to have an 07 at some point.

I remember you talking about this in a rifle build thread, so will this be an 01 or an 07?  And if an 01, can you reasonably easily switch to 07 if so inclined?

6 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

You know you'll hate yourself if you “bail” and give up — don't do it — just gonna need some patience

I imagine the State Police have lots on their plate right now

Agreed.  That said, I can't and won't pay rent on a space for too long with no chance of getting something going.  I'm no longer working so the money simply needs to be utilized for other things.  

4 hours ago, Malice4you said:

Just seeing this now.  First off, congrats!  Hope this works out well for you.  This is an interesting topic to me as I'd love to have an 07 at some point.

I remember you talking about this in a rifle build thread, so will this be an 01 or an 07?  And if an 01, can you reasonably easily switch to 07 if so inclined?

Thank you.
I will be an 01 for the time being.  An 07 will come in time.  

This is an interesting time to get an FFL.  Couple of Bumps i see at this point based on what the market is doing.

1. Time frame you get the FFL / NJSP Retail Lic

2. Current State of Panic

3. Availability of inventory

4. Length of time this lock down / panic goes.

If you are paying rent already and have limited resources its going to be a ruff patch.
Assuming the panic lasts a few months inventory is going to be non existent, Its already becoming an issue funding lower priced firearms. After the panic ends it will be a bit before distributors restock from the manufactures. so you might be very limited in the inventory you are able to source (you are the low man on the totem-pole as a new FFL) Most distributors are already on allocation which means you need to contact a sales rep for items. I dealt with that when i got my FFL but i was also home based so did not have the issues of rent and i pretty much started this doing transfers.

The other issue i foresee is once the panic settles the market will be saturated and people will slow down on buying since they panic bought and are out of money. I saw that as well. But on the positive side stocks and sales will be able to be purchased. Then you have elections which will help boost sales prior to the election.

I do not mean to be doom and gloom but i just wanted to set out the facts.. I went thought this as well with slightly different circumstances.

I wish you lots of luck... As long as you can get over the bumps and have the funds withstand a few months of this complete and utter shit storm you will survive the market.

Very interesting times we live in.