Bully

Getting My FFL - My Journey

4 minutes ago, remixer said:

This is an interesting time to get an FFL.  Couple of Bumps i see at this point based on what the market is doing.

1. Time frame you get the FFL / NJSP Retail Lic

2. Current State of Panic

3. Availability of inventory

4. Length of time this lock down / panic goes.

If you are paying rent already and have limited resources its going to be a ruff patch.
Assuming the panic lasts a few months inventory is going to be non existent, Its already becoming an issue funding lower priced firearms. After the panic ends it will be a bit before distributors restock from the manufactures. so you might be very limited in the inventory you are able to source (you are the low man on the totem-pole as a new FFL) Most distributors are already on allocation which means you need to contact a sales rep for items. I dealt with that when i got my FFL but i was also home based so did not have the issues of rent and i pretty much started this doing transfers.

The other issue i foresee is once the panic settles the market will be saturated and people will slow down on buying since they panic bought and are out of money. I saw that as well. But on the positive side stocks and sales will be able to be purchased. Then you have elections which will help boost sales prior to the election.

I do not mean to be doom and gloom but i just wanted to set out the facts.. I went thought this as well with slightly different circumstances.

I wish you lots of luck... As long as you can get over the bumps and have the funds withstand a few months of this complete and utter shit storm you will survive the market.

Very interesting times we live in.

Sounds about right to me. 
As stated, if it gets too financially challenging I will simply pull back and postpone until another time. I’ll give it a few months and see how it all progresses. 

Best of luck, I transferred my licenses to my property in Maine, there is a lot less bullshit to deal with up there. The application process with the ATF is much faster than the application process through the NJSP. Another reason why it made moving everything to Maine worthwhile, local governent doesn't interfere with federal guidelines

12 minutes ago, Rufio.Weaponworks said:

Best of luck, I transferred my licenses to my property in Maine, there is a lot less bullshit to deal with up there. The application process with the ATF is much faster than the application process through the NJSP. Another reason why it made moving everything to Maine worthwhile, local governent doesn't interfere with federal guidelines

That sounds great!!!

I don't have property in Maine nor do I want property in Maine.  I live and work here and would like my FFL to be here.  Close to where I live.  
I actually spoke to a detective from NJSP yesterday.  They are completely jammed up as they are not going out for inspections, they are not able to get licenses signed off on since courts are closed, and they are rotating through the office one at a time.  
ATF agent is also not leaving his home.  
Crappy timing on my part.  I'm heading up to pay my rent today and will be seriously re-evaluating it all toward the end of April.  

get a lawyer, they still have a job to do.

I don't have my FFL for retail sales, i have it because I write in the gun industry, when I was only living in NJ it made getting product a lot easier from manufacturers without needed to neuter the rifle and be able to send it back to them when the loan was up. Now that my license is in Maine I can get suppressors without them sitting in NFA Jail, NJ won't allow FFL's to keep suppressors on their books, but you can have SBR's and Machine Guns :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Rufio.Weaponworks said:

get a lawyer, they still have a job to do.

I don't have my FFL for retail sales, i have it because I write in the gun industry, when I was only living in NJ it made getting product a lot easier from manufacturers without needed to neuter the rifle and be able to send it back to them when the loan was up. Now that my license is in Maine I can get suppressors without them sitting in NFA Jail, NJ won't allow FFL's to keep suppressors on their books, but you can have SBR's and Machine Guns :rolleyes:

What is a lawyer going to do?

• Courts are Closed.
  • NJSP is not doing inspections
  • ATF is also limiting exposure.

• Agree 1

It's a constitutional right and governments still have a job to do, correct?

after all it was the government's decision to regulate who can deal in that constitutional right

38 minutes ago, Rufio.Weaponworks said:

It's a constitutional right and governments still have a job to do, correct?

after all it was the government's decision to regulate who can deal in that constitutional right

Its a Constitutional right to get an FFL?

My bad i thought that was bearing arms :)

Let's be realistic here.. 

A) he is already contemplating the expenses... how is a lawyer going to contribute to that?

B) even if he sued... he would be up and running around the same time had he not considering ALL of the resources needed to get the ball rolling are shut down until further notice. 

I highly doubt in a state that tried to shut down every FFL, they will care about more trying to open. By the time this even hit the appropriate courts... it would be over a year.

• Like 1

NJSP called me today.  

Seems like the ball is slowly starting to roll again.  The trooper asked me a couple of questions and said that I needed to check over some forms via email which I've done and replied to.  So, this may still actually happen.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Bully said:

NJSP called me today.  

Seems like the ball is slowly starting to roll again.  The trooper asked me a couple of questions and said that I needed to check over some forms via email which I've done and replied to.  So, this may still actually happen.  Fingers crossed!

Good luck widdle buddy. 

On 4/2/2020 at 12:13 PM, Rufio.Weaponworks said:

no, the government decided that only FFL's could be the people to sell you the ability to exercise your constitutional right.

Only if you live in California, New Jersey, Hawaii, New York and Massachusetts IIRC.  The rest of America allows you to buy privately. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Mental health form mailed back to NJSP. 

think I scheduled my fingerprints, but will call IdentoGO later today to be sure.  

Major delay on getting my mental health form submitted...  I couldn't find ink for my printer.  Anywhere.  Had to wait about a week for Amazon to get it to me.  But, it's here and all is well.  

• Like 2

Mental health paperwork filled out and  mailed in last week.  

Fingerprints are done and submitted.  I have email confirmation that the trooper has received them.  So now, I wait...  again.  I will be running to the office to finish some painting this week, turning the brown doors white.  So, that's at least some forward movement.  

The trooper that I have been dealing with has been pretty responsive, which is good.  I know getting an inspection will be a bit of a hassle, but hopefully by mid June something can start actually moving.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, siderman said:

Hey Chris. Just saw your thread and wishing you best of luck and sucess! I'm heading to FL for good soon but being so local to you consider me one of the best customers you never had lol.

Thank you!

I'll take what I can get!  Good luck with your move.  

I reached out to the trooper in charge of my case.  
He's still waiting for fingerprints to come back.  However we have a tentative date for initial inspection on Friday, 6/6 at 9am!!!  

Things are moving again.  Thank God.

• Like 3

Too bad you couldn't get up and running six months ago. I think you'd be doing some good business about now based on what I've seen at another LGS.

I think I already wished you well, if not, Best Wishes, more LGS in NJ is definitely a good thing in my eyes.

11 hours ago, kc17 said:

Too bad you couldn't get up and running six months ago. I think you'd be doing some good business about now based on what I've seen at another LGS.

I think I already wished you well, if not, Best Wishes, more LGS in NJ is definitely a good thing in my eyes.

Hey Kevin.
Thank you.  Much appreciated.

NJSP was at my office on time this morning.  The trooper was incredibly pleasant and professional.  He took a look around, made some suggestions, and said that as soon as my 'prints come back from Identogo (I did them 3 weeks ago) he will send my letter for approval to the Superior Court for approval.  

In all, it was a relatively easy and simple process.  Mostly a formality.  I will be taking his suggestions to heart and reaching out to my landlord to see if I can change a few things.  

I reached out to ATF and as soon as I have my Retail License in hand I will start my application with them.  

I have also started reaching out to a couple of companies to start my dealer status.  No firearms (obviously) but companies that make accessories ie: stocks and such.  So, we are moving and grooving.  

• Like 5

Reached out to the trooper in charge of my application.  He mailed everything out to the courts and as soon as a judge signs it and sends it back he will print up my NJ License to Retail Firearms (or some such).  I'm hoping to hear that it's in the mail by the end of next week (Fri July 10th or so).  As soon as it's on the way I will call ATF and get the ball rolling.  The agent there that I have spoken with has been incredibly helpful on this little journey.  I'm looking forward to meeting him and virtually shaking his hand or at least fist bumping.

It looks like this will actually happen.  I will be making a website as well with a splash page with basic information/contact information.  Nothing fancy right now.  Just something to get the word out.  

• Like 7