low res Ian

how to obtain your CCP as a civilian in jersey

i do apologize if this question does not belong here, im still new to this website. ive asked family in law enforcement after calling my local police department and they both basically said its pretty much impossible unless i live in an area more north where black bears could pose a threat or if i worked in security and that security company permited its employees to carry on the job, etc. i live five minutes from the gwb in the fort lee area of jersey if anyone knows where that is- so its a bit of a densely populated area and i dont work a job that requires me to be armed. is this entirely true? am i just SOL?

5 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

This.

Unless you're politically connected or a wealthy celebrity there's zero chance.

is keeping a gun in a bag still considered concealed carry? its not technically on my person, in a bag. highly doubt this is legal but this is america and if youre a law abiding citizen there is not reason to deny them their CCP

2 minutes ago, low res Ian said:

is keeping a gun in a bag still considered concealed carry? its not technically on my person, in a bag. highly doubt this is legal but this is america and if youre a law abiding citizen there is not reason to deny them their CCP

Without a carry permit (NJ does not distinguish as concealed) you are limited in what circumstances you can "transport" (note I didn't say "carry") - basically from your home to a dealer, FFL, range, or place of business that you own.

7 minutes ago, low res Ian said:

my uncle is on the city council, could that have some leverage?

Essentially you need to prove your need/threat to your local police chief and the county judge, so it depends on how well connected your uncle is.

1 minute ago, tomk62 said:

Without a carry permit (NJ does not distinguish as concealed) you are limited in what circumstances you can "transport" (note I didn't say "carry") - basically from your home to a dealer, FFL, range, or place of business that you own.

so am i allowed to "transport" my firearm in my bag? or only if im say going to the range or picking up a gun from the gun store?

Essentially you need to prove your need/threat to your local police chief and the county judge, so it depends on how well connected your uncle is.

i live in an area of jersey where crime is somewhat high, i live across from a pub and drunks are often a problem, on top of that i dont live in a particular safe area. a friend i went to school with was shot and killed about a year ago a few blocks from me.

Just now, low res Ian said:

i live in an area of jersey where crime is somewhat high, i live across from a pub and drunks are often a problem, on top of that i dont live in a particular safe area. a friend i went to school with was shot and killed about a year ago a few blocks from me.

Historically that has not be a specific enough of a threat against you to qualify.

The only way is to vote out the Statist Democrats and elect Constitutionally-oriented Americans to overturn the tyrannical laws, unless you have connections to the Democrat elite.  

The last option is to move to the USA.

Historically that has not be a specific enough of a threat against you to qualify.

would you mind giving me an example of a valid excuse? sorry to keep asking all these questions. im still young and trying to learn all this

Just now, Underdog said:

The only way is to vote out the Statist Democrats and elect Constitutionally-oriented Americans to overturn the tyrannical laws, unless you have connections to the Democrat elite.  

The last option is to move to the USA.

with you 100% there 

23 minutes ago, low res Ian said:

would you mind giving me an example of a valid excuse? sorry to keep asking all these questions. im still young and trying to learn all this

with you 100% there 

There are no "valid excuses".

If you want a CCW you're either politically connected, wealthy, or work security.  If you're not one of those then you don't get a CCW.

If you've already been murdered, and someone threatens to do it again, it is possible you have satisfied the requirements of "Justifiable Need" and could be granted a NJ Handgun Carry Permit.

Or not.

In which case, you're just dead, as is the fervent wish of the powers-that-be here in the Glorious Peoples Republik of New Jerseystan.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

There are no "valid excuses".

If you want a CCW you're either politically connected, wealthy, or work security.  If you're not one of those then you don't get a CCW.

Wikipedia covers this pretty well under "Permit to carry a handgun":

Every applicant not applying as a law enforcement officer must demonstrate justifiable need in order to obtain a permit, by means of a letter detailing specific need attached to the application; this requirement applies to active and retired judges, prosecutors, public defenders, military personnel, and elected officials in addition to the general populace. Justifiable need has been defined as, "urgent necessity for self-protection, as evidenced by specific threats or previous attacks which demonstrate a special danger to the applicant's life that cannot be avoided by means other than by issuance of a permit to carry a handgun." This standard effectively places permits out of the reach of ordinary citizens, as one would have to demonstrate taking exceptional measures to mitigate such a danger; to include for example, moving to another part of the state or moving out of New Jersey entirely. In practice, very few permits are granted; normally only individuals with political connections are able to obtain handgun carry permits. Many applicants have reported difficulty in obtaining New Jersey Permits to Carry, especially non-residents. Most people do not even bother to apply since denial is almost a certainty and any denial must be disclosed on subsequent applications for permits to purchase a firearm, which is cause for a future firearms purchase to be denied. Registered and licensed private security officers and private investigators encounter less difficulty, however their permits are usually heavily scrutinized and restricted to carry while on duty only.

28 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Are you aware of NJ transport laws?

Apparently not ... I believe these are the relevant sections:

2C:39-5

b.Handguns.  Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree if the handgun is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person.  Otherwise it is a crime of the second degree.

and then as Rosey always points out, it's all about "exceptions" which makes it hard for some folks to follow:

2C:39-6

e.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair.  For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

f.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

(1)A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

(2)A person carrying a firearm or knife in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purpose of hunting, target practice or fishing, provided that the firearm or knife is legal and appropriate for hunting or fishing purposes in this State and he has in his possession a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing, a valid fishing license;

(3)A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(a)Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

(b)Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; 

(4)A person from keeping or carrying about a private or commercial aircraft or any boat, or from transporting to or from such vessel for the purpose of installation or repair a visual distress signaling device approved by the United States Coast Guard.

g.All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

For those confused about the "travel deviations", the NJSP has published a nice guide.

5 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

If you've already been murdered, and someone threatens to do it again, it is possible you have satisfied the requirements of "Justifiable Need" and your chances of being approved soar to a 50% - 50% chance.

Apologies to njJoniGuy, I did some editing to his initial post and it captures the spirit of this topic when I saw it in a different thread.

I don't remember the guy's name - others here will.  He was kidnapped by a motorcycle gang TWICE and managed to escape both times.  He was denied a permit because he didn't have a "justifiable need".  

You can't get one in NJ and you can't have a handgun in your possession without a permit unless you are at home or traveling between home, gun range, gun shop, or your own business (that you own and is stationary). 

Sorry.  As you said: SOL.