gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

Looking at Drudge Report this morning the headlines were full of ominous predictions that the Coronavirus could "explode overnight" and other fear inducing headlines.

So how does one prep for a possible quarantine scenario such as we've been seeing overseas?  Other than the obvious (food, medicines, water, etc) what are some items you would consider necessary for an extended quarantine?

A few I've thought of:

Toilet paper / feminine hygenie products.  If you can't just run out of your house to pick some up whenever you start running low it may be a good idea to stock up.

Pet food - we have our dog food delivered every "x" weeks.  Would be a good idea to an extra bag around.

Remote Access tokens - if you gave the capability to work from home it would be a good idea to bring your access tokens home with you every night. 

So what are some not so obvious items you may need to have a supply of if you were forced to be quarantined for a minimum of two weeks?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gleninjersey said:

So what are some not so obvious items you may need to have a supply of if you were forced to be quarantined for a minimum of two weeks?

Most of what you wrote is a good start. The biggest issue will be supply disruptions due to Just in Time inventory programs. The second issue is when the "sheep" get spooked, and go on a panic buying spree... Think about what happens just before a hurricane...

The thing to do is go look through all your cabinets,  pantry, linen closet and medicine cabinet, and stock up on all those daily products that you use every day. All the health and beauty type products as well as OTC and Rx could be affected (90% of those product have a connection to China supplies). Don't forget cleaning products too.

Procter and Gamble put out a letter that 17,000 of their products will be affected by the China shutdown. That should tell you a lot. They're expecting major disruption in delivery of their products. Apple , Microsoft and H.P. have joined that camp. I would expect more companies to join them shortly...

I would suggest laying in at least a month's worth (or more) of your everyday items. I was in Walmart this afternoon, and there were big holes in alot of the popular products already. If the sheep get spooked, alot more will clear out, and Walmart doesn't have a "backroom" of stock to refill the shelves.

Last month there was a run on N95 masks. They are now cleaned out, in stores and on Amazon, and this was when there were only like 10 WuFlu cases in the country. If the gov't. overreacts, and starts shutting down schools and public buildings, panic will escalate. The economic fallout will be bad enough...

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

We think in terms of three months for everything. Since 1995.

That's what I do too, as a minimum. I hate getting caught unprepared...

I think I remember reading, the majority of people have less than a weeks worth of necessary items at home, on average. I think Mrs' Peel has even admitted to that.

This is particularly challenging having little ones. My little guy has a restricted diet due to severe food allergies. He eats coconut yogurt, which doesnt have that long of a shelf life. I'm thinking canned coconut milk.I probably need a second refrigerator in the garage (with a padlock). 

• Agree 1

After the unpleasantness(no electricity, no heat, no open gas stations, ...)  of the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy,  I took preparedness much more seriously than ever before.   Vowed to be able to shelter in for two weeks without food stores, utility power, etc..  (I envy those of you who are prepared for a 3 month situation.)  I had acquired supplies spanning categories including emergency food, water, lighting, hygiene, medical supplies, communication, and of course, security; among others. A representative partial list of them are below.

The sheep are already beginning to get restless/spooked.  I can envision a point very soon where that will increase exponentially.  By then you will have missed your window of opportunity to prepare.  Noticed this evening that almost every emergency food item at Wise (wisefoodstorage.com) is listed as "Stock is low" and in your Shopping Cart it also states "Stock is low.  Allow 2-3 weeks for delivery."  Will be interesting to see if this changes to "Out of stock" at some point. I already have Wise food on hand.   

- Several days ago, I explicitly informed all my adult children that if they had not yet given thought to preparedness for their families, NOW would be a really good time to do so.

One should also consider the potential for more complex scenarios such as a bad storm impacting electricity or a late March deep freeze causing broken water mains and impact on water supply to your home, etc.  COUPLED with limited utility crews available to respond due to the impact of the virus. 

- Some of the OTC medical supplies I had previously  purchased and stored had gone well past their expiration date.  I checked them all several days ago, discarded them where appropriate, and backfilled them (Costco and Walgreens).  

- We always refill our cars before they reach half a tank.  That gas also represents spare fuel for my generator if needed.

- If you have prescription refills available (e.g. antibiotics)  you might want to consider refilling them proactively.

- Have plenty of first aid supplies on hand such as: first aid kits, Neosporin, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, naproxine, etc on hand.  Same goes for children and infant strengths of those where appropriate.

- Extra paper towels, toilet paper, soap, toothpaste, laundry detergent, etc.  

- Baby wipes for personal hygiene, especially handy if there is any interruption to water supplies.  

- Plenty of kitchen garbage bags and large contractor garbage bags, in the event of garbage pickup interruption.

- Paper plates, plastic cutlery, etc.

- Triple set of spare batteries for every flashlight, radio, radio scanner, smoke/fire detector, CO detector in my home.

- Clorox disinfectant wipes.

- Purchased an additional propane tank for my grill.   Going tomorrow to refill several empties that I have in my shed.

- Cash money on hand in the event banks or ATMs close.

Lastly, given this is a Firearms forum, I assume everyone is prepared from a "security" perspective.  A few years ago, I recall someone posting here a picture of a mob of customers at Walmart fighting to get a TV on Black Friday.  Imagine what they would do if it were for food.

• Agree 1

All these items are items that you should have on hand anyways....regardless of current social ills.

In my mind being prepared, is not watching the news cycle to see if you should prep, it should be ingrained in your psyche.

Once you have a mindset of preparedness, you can rationalize a situation more effectively, as you know what you have done, to insulate in as much as possible, your family from social interaction.

Your home security plan is also not something that is transient, it needs to be in 100% every day, even without any social abnormalities or additional potential upheavals.

We have been living like this in the sticks of Sussex co for 27 years....this is why we never settled in LI or more densely populated areas.

We weathered Sandy with not so much as a little dent, God grant us the same for what might be coming.

Shotties and handguns are always loaded....ya know big bears and possible intruders......we don't have to go to rifles, just yet.

I see all this as an opportunity and a wake up call for America....

I see this as waking some others up to how we need manufacturing back home....how we need domestic supplies, domestic production, domestic energy etc.

What does that guy on YouTube say, - something from Deuteronomy 31:6

Be strong, Be of good courage and long live the Republic.

And finally from Kipling...

If you can keep your head when all about you   
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,   
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;   
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
    And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;   
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;   
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;   
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,   
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,   
    Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,   
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,   
    And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!
  • Agree 1

I am as concerned about peoples reaction to the virus risk as I am the virus itself.  Out of curiosity, I went to the website of Patriot Food Supply(https://mypatriotsupply.com/collections/emergency-survival-food) this morning. On their home page they have an Alert message.

It reads: 

Update: 02/27/20 4:10 PM MST

Demand for our storable food product remains near 100X normal volume. These are unprecedented times. Shipping WILL be delayed on many orders, potentially 6-8 weeks or more in rare cases. Complete checkout to reserve your place in line now!

As has been in place for a month now, orders will continue to be shipped on a first come, first served basis. 

When your order ships, we'll send you an email with the tracking number and timing of your delivery. We apologize for the delay and thank you in advance for your patience. 

If you read down that page, one week ago they were saying demand was 10-12x normal.  Quite an acceleration over the course of the last week.

I agree that "100x" sounds suspect.  It was more the change from a week ago that I found noteworthy.  Btw, the pallet you showed is $4699.00.  Not many people can afford that.  The parent "food" webpage show a number of more affordable selections, a number of which are sold out.  

17 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

a number of more affordable selections, a number of which are sold out.  

To be fair....  Mountain House is in very short supply, with 95% of the products offered on my preferred website sold out and on back order.  Mt. House is the same as CCI MiniMags as far as being the gold standard in long term storage foods, so that's what everyone will be buying.

The pallet would be a good group buy.  It comes out to $4.50/serving, which is about $3-$4 less per serving compared to individual two serving pouches.  The real problem for some may be where to get the 560 gallons of water to rehydrate the food.

8 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

To be fair....  Mountain House is in very short supply, with 95% of the products offered on my preferred website sold out and on back order. 

I went and looked last night, and you're right, a lot is on backorder or OOS.

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

and CASH. i know someone's gonna poopoo about cash....but in reality, in any sort of emergency, it's good to have handy.

I totally agree, and was coming to remind everyone to put some extra cash away, you can never tell when the plastic could be shut off.

• Agree 1

Also a reminder, I just made this comment in the other market thread. Remember your pets when stocking up.

The FDA just warned that 6 pet pharmaceutical manufacturers are having major supply issues, so if your pets require medication or special treatments, get it now. Since so much of pet crap comes from China, anything your furry friends eat/need should be bought NOW!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I went and looked last night, and you're right, a lot is on backorder or OOS.

I totally agree, and was coming to remind everyone to put some extra cash away, you can never tell when the plastic could be shut off.

Up to $ 2,500 in $20's - for short term use is always good - we could go down the road of a real post apocalyptic scenario - but we are not at that discussion and it would muddy the waters.

We have increased our logistical supplies for 5 adults and pets in our home - but we upped it a month ago looking ahead to where we might be - or may be going.

Simple easy insurance......it will all get used anyways !  :)

3 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Also a reminder, I just made this comment in the other market thread. Remember your pets when stocking up.

The FDA just warned that 6 pet pharmaceutical manufacturers are having major supply issues, so if your pets require medication or special treatments, get it now. Since so much of pet crap comes from China, anything your furry friends eat/need should be bought NOW!

^^^^^^^^^  This - Great great post - they are NOT disposable like some rumors that happened in china etc.  They are family and should be treated as such. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Maybe if as Americans you refused to buy Chinese made products there wouldn't be such a reliance on China.  Like that shower for instance.  Doesn't look like anything Kohler makes.

I've no knowledge of that particular shower, but Kohler has a lot of manufacturing in China.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, 10X said:

I've no knowledge of that particular shower, but Kohler has a lot of manufacturing in China.

Kohler has a lot of manufacturing in China for the box stores.  Majority of products in plumbing supply are Made in America.  Buy from box store, support China, get the junk you deserve.

13 hours ago, Sniper said:

I think I remember reading, the majority of people have less than a weeks worth of necessary items at home, on average. I think Mrs' Peel has even admitted to that.

Yes, I am delighted that my life will be the example of how not to live, lol. Honestly? In my usual mode, I was actually lucky if I had 48 hrs worth of supplies in my house. But, as I've mentioned elsewhere, after the recent Shop-rite Can-Can sale - I'm at about 4-6 weeks of supplies now (I'm only shopping for 1, so it was pretty easy to do)…. but I feel RICH!! I'm going shopping this weekend to plug in a few missing gaps - and to flesh it out to more like 6+ weeks-worth in each critical category. I was actually planning to do that 2nd stage gradually through sales, but it's really not that much I have to get, so I'll do it in one fell swoop - that's the biggest concession I'm making to the Coronavirus scare. Oh, and reiterating what others said, while I'm out... I'll be taking out some cash in small bills ($1 through $20). No matter how well you THINK you've prepared, you just never know if you might have to hit the road (go to a family member's house, etc.) - it would be nice to be able to keep the window mostly up, and just pass exact change through the window at a gas station, for instance. (Though I'm trying to keep my gas tank full at all times also). If this starts sweeping through our area, my plan will be to hunker down at home and just avoid face-to-face contact until it burns out. I work from home - so that's not hard for me to do! 

I'd been "thinking" about being more prepared for awhile now, but it was that Ted Koppel book that @Zeke lent me, about the grid going down, that really provided the kick in the butt I needed to move from thinking to doing. Fear is an excellent motivator!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zeke said:

Fear is the mind killer

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

• Like 2