gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

1 minute ago, High Exposure said:

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

I was going more dune the movie. Man you read a lot! Are smert or sumtin?

I topped of my mountain house supplies in January.  I got a roll-eyes from the wife.  Her tune has changed in the past few days.

I don't think we will have food disruption in the US, I just think we might have a period of time when we need to self-segregate.  You can't do that if you have to run out every day for food.

Also, I grew up out in Rural Ohio, 30 minutes from a grocery store.  We bought food 2-4 weeks in advance as a normal practice.   It's just in my nature to have supplies.

Short list

-Canned foods. 

-Rice and beans, pastas.   Boxes of Mac/Cheese.  Those cup of noodles types of things are good too.  Think cheap calories.  Protein bars are ok, they are just expensive. 

OTC cold and flu remedies.  Make sure you have enough Aspirin, Naproxen and Tylenol.   Have some tums, or something like that.  Also Immodium if you get the shitz.

Buy what you normally eat, just get extra of it now.

If this thing never catches here, eat it down.  Done and done.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

Short list

-Canned foods. 

-Rice and beans, pastas.   Boxes of Mac/Cheese.  Those cup of noodles types of things are good too.  Think cheap calories.  Protein bars are ok, they are just expensive. 

OTC cold and flu remedies.  Make sure you have enough Aspirin, Naproxen and Tylenol.   Have some tums, or something like that.  Also Immodium if you get the shitz.

Buy what you normally eat, just get extra of it now.

If this thing never catches here, eat it down.  Done and done.  

this. sorry to cut up yer post. 

why waste money on prepper foods when you can get canned food for stupid cheap in the markets? 'long as the can's not damaged, and is sealed the stuff inside will stay for longer than most think. I think i'd add rice to your list. 

I hadn't thought of the cold/flu stuff. i'll be adding some of that tomorrow otw home from work. 

what you say about buy a little extra....that's what I do. couple extra cans here. couple extra boxes there. you hardly feel it at the checkout, but it adds up quick. 

2 hours ago, rtquig said:

If SHTF, your paper money will only be good for kindling to start a fire. History shows how stacks of paper money could only buy a loaf of bread at best. Gold and Silver. 

I don't suspect t that it'll get that bad here. if anything there could be disruption of the delivery of money to atm's. or something could happen to systems that approve credit/debit card purchases( how the HELL were we dumb enough to get to the point of asking permission to spend our own dam loot? different convo though. ). 

based on your supposition though....cigarettes' and booze. always good trade material. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, rtquig said:

If SHTF, your paper money will only be good for kindling to start a fire. History shows how stacks of paper money could only buy a loaf of bread at best. Gold and Silver. 

Good luck buying vegetables from the local farmer or any other local goods with gold or silver coins...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

I think i'd add rice to your list. 

It's in there.   You even quoted it.

As to prepper food, it's just something that keeps.  In no way do I believe anyone should keep closets full of the stuff.  I just have some of it that can get mixed in to the rotation during a self quarantine or slow period.  The nice thing about prepper food is that it's a baseline.  Even if you've eaten your cupboard bare, you probably haven't dug into that during a normal course of events.

Cans and dry goods that you add extra each time you go?  Perfect.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Malsua said:

I don't think we will have food disruption in the US, I just think we might have a period of time when we need to self-segregate.  You can't do that if you have to run out every day for food.

Regular food, probably not. But OTC medicines and Rxs, health and beauty products (soap, shampoo, deodorant, cleaning supplies,etc.), any electronics, dollar store items, paper products, hardware, etc. will possibly be affected.

Remember, Procter and Gamble said 17,000 of their products will have inventory issues, take a quick cross section of what they make, as a reference.

top-of-mind-marketing-procter-gamble-bra

https://www.cips.org/en/supply-management/news/2020/february/pg-warns-17600-products-possibly-hit-by-coronavirus/

They won't be the only ones...

5 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

They forgot swine flu too.....

I noticed that as well; but the rest of the meme covered things nicely.

Chicken Little is alive and well.

image.png.df4cb700961d95e14277b303f6b637cf.png

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Regular food, probably not. But OTC medicines and Rxs, health and beauty products (soap, shampoo, deodorant, cleaning supplies,etc.), any electronics, dollar store items, paper products, hardware, etc. will possibly be affected.

Remember, Procter and Gamble said 17,000 of their products will have inventory issues, take a quick cross section of what they make, as a reference.

top-of-mind-marketing-procter-gamble-bra

https://www.cips.org/en/supply-management/news/2020/february/pg-warns-17600-products-possibly-hit-by-coronavirus/

They won't be the only ones...

I have been banging the supply chain disruption gong for over a month now.   There will be disruptions.  Figure everything that touches China and that's pretty much everything on some level.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Malsua said:

It's in there.   You even quoted it.

As to prepper food, it's just something that keeps.  In no way do I believe anyone should keep closets full of the stuff.  I just have some of it that can get mixed in to the rotation during a self quarantine or slow period.  The nice thing about prepper food is that it's a baseline.  Even if you've eaten your cupboard bare, you probably haven't dug into that during a normal course of events.

Cans and dry goods that you add extra each time you go?  Perfect.

shit, I skimmed more than read....and missed it.....<insert face palm thingie here>

yes.....and I've started also adding tp.

4 minutes ago, Malsua said:

I have been banging the supply chain disruption gong for over a month now.   There will be disruptions.  Figure everything that touches China and that's pretty much everything on some level.

Toyota warned today that they might have to shut down their lines in Japan, due to parts shortages from China. Remember, there's like 30,000 parts in a car, and just one missing, stops final assembly and delivery.

Hyundai shut down their line in So. Korean because one worker tested positive for the virus, so now they're completely disinfecting the plant.

6 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Toyota warned today that they might have to shut down their lines in Japan, due to parts shortages from China. Remember, there's like 30,000 parts in a car, and just one missing, stops final assembly and delivery.

Hyundai shut down their line in So. Korean because one worker tested positive for the virus, so now they're completely disinfecting the plant.

My company has containers floating towards us year round.  Except now.

We got in containers the first week in February.  They were shipped the last week in December.

Nothing is the pipeline.    Sales people and execs are having a hard time understanding this.  I'm not kidding.   Once we burn through inventory, we are done working until re-supply.

A high level exec asked the following question last week: "Do you think we can get any of the XYZ item in for a test next week".  "NO.   Nothing is being manufactured"

Normalcy bias is real and watching it occur in real time is mind boggling.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Just remember, with brass/lead, you can get all the gold and silver you want!! :victory:

I think you need to test that theory.  Go to one of those "cash for gold" places tomorrow and get all the gold you can.  If you make it out alive we'll split it 50/50 because it was my idea.

34 minutes ago, Malsua said:

We got in containers the first week in February.  They were shipped the last week in December.

Nothing is the pipeline. 

On another forum, a guy works at the ports in CA and tracks incoming freighters. He even said incoming traffic is really, really light.

34 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Normalcy bias is real and watching it occur in real time is mind boggling.

We see that here on this forum on a daily basis.

35 minutes ago, Malsua said:

What actual type of products?

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Procter and Gamble

Just read on another forum that Amazon was limiting the amount of P&G products you can buy to 2 or 3. They must already be seeing shortages, without replenishments coming in.

This shit is all MSM driven!  Not ONE person has died in the US from the Corona virus and 10,000 HAVE died from our regular flu season!  This is all bullshit driven by the Dems to bring down our President......IT WON'T WORK!

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

This shit is all MSM driven!  Not ONE person has died in the US from the Corona virus and 10,000 HAVE died from our regular flu season! 

I said that back in January, in the WuFlu thread. The issue isn't the virus, it's the hype/fear and economic fallout from sensationalized reporting, and the reaction to it. Similar how the media blows mass shooting way out of proportion, compared to other, everyday deaths.

25 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

This is all bullshit driven by the Dems to bring down our President......IT WON'T WORK!

It might, if the negative economic effects are bad enough. If enough people are hurting in their wallets come November, Bernie's freebies will sound really good!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sniper said:

What actual type of products?

Business to Business gifts mostly but really anything you've ever seen with a company name and logo on it.   We used to make all of it here, now we just finish it here or do some final assembly.  Some things, like many paper items can be sourced locally, but most of the items that have plastic components are injection molded in China and to a lesser degree Thailand or Malaysia.

10 hours ago, Sniper said:

Good luck buying vegetables from the local farmer or any other local goods with gold or silver coins...

If things get really bad, there will be no local farmers with goods to sell to you. Here in NJ once the crops get harvested there will be nothing. No fuel to get the crops out of the fields. No workers to pick them. No irrigation without electricity.