gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

Don’t buy into the media hype.

There was a poll this morning on AMAC, which is the Conservative version of AARP, mostly retired and older workers. They pretty much said the same thing, here is the poll:

amac1.jpg

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Malsua said:

We will only ever know the R-nought and age specific CFR after a few years pass.

There are most definitely more people that caught it, never reported it, and got better.  Some could have died too without a Covid diagnosis.  There's no way to ever really know.

This is true, and it will take time after it all passes to get final numbers.

27 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Most of us here are not 70+ where the really fatal CFR rates seem to be, so if it goes wide, we may only be affected mildly except perhaps elderly parents or other relatives. 

That's the other great point, if patients already have underlying medical issue, they have worse outcomes. Here's a chart that was done looking at 44,000 cases in China:

In the first big analysis of more than 44,000 cases from China, the death rate was ten times higher in the very elderly compared to the middle-aged.

_111074816_death_ratio-nc.png

So, the takeaway is, if you're younger and in good health, this will be no worse than our seasonal flu, and I believe, the CFR will come in lower than is currently is being reported.

31 minutes ago, Malsua said:

I'm more worried about supply chain just for the sheer annoyance of it and how it will drag the economy and my investments down.

THIS, is where the BIGGEST  danger lies!!!!

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

What items other than the obvious should you have to prep for possible quarantine.

Anything that has a part or piece made in China that you use on a daily basis, as I mentioned earlier, they are expecting a disruption in container shipping of 20% - 40% from China... That's a lot of crap!!

Plus, with the "Just in Time" inventory program, stores restock what's normally selling. If everyone goes in and buys TWO (or more) instead of their usual ONE, supply shortages will last a while until restock.

Amazon was limiting people to 2 - 3 Procter and Gamble products, so they are already seeing inventory issues.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, gleninjersey said:

What items other than the obvious should you have to prep for possible quarantine.

Here's a good article by Brandon Webb. Let's just say, he's been around the block, once or twice... For those of you who don't know who he is: Brandon Webb is a SEAL and a Sniper Instructor (one of his students was Kris Kyle..).

How to prepare your family for the Coronavirus: A Navy SEAL’s advice

https://sofrep.com/news/how-to-prepare-your-family-for-the-coronavirus-a-navy-seals-advice/

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Plus, with the "Just in Time" inventory program, stores restock what's normally selling. If everyone goes in and buys TWO (or more) instead of their usual ONE, supply shortages will last a while until restock.

Amazon was limiting people to 2 - 3 Procter and Gamble products, so they are already seeing inventory issues.

This is already starting.  I went to Costco in North Plainfield around noon to buy a few bulk items.  I know, I know.  It's always busy then.

Place was PACKED.  And not your usual Costco on the weekend packed. More like your local mall a few days before Christmas PACKED.

It was pretty calm but some items on the shelves were low.  The one item I really went in for, the Costco brand toilet paper, was half gone.  At around noon.  

I picked up some other items we were low on (canned tuna, some Costco brand vitamin water, etc) and a few comfort items (Costco brand tortilla chips, spinach parmesan artichoke dip and chicken salad) and headed to check out.  Check out area was a a mob scene.  Cashier even joked about "the zombie apocalypse.  I paid, wished her good luck surviving and got out of there. 

Local supermarket was cleared out of hand sanitizer.  Costco doesnt sell it.  I picked up a few 8 ounce bottles at our local dollar store.

If you need to replenish anything and can go midweek I would recommend that.   Especially if you hate crowds.

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, High Exposure said:

I’m not saying to go out and lick the walls on NJ transit trains.

I’m not saying I want to catch it and if I do it won’t be a big deal.

I’m saying, take normal - sane - precautions because you are more likely to catch (and die from) the flu than the Coronavirus in this country and no one is starting threads about prepping for flu season.

Everyone should already have enough supplies in their home to last at least a week or two comfortably for normal run-of-the-mill emergencies. Bottled water, rice/pasta, canned meals, MREs, and some snivel items to cheer you up - lickies (hard candies, lollipops) chewies (granola bars, protein bars), hot sauce, drink powders (Gatorade, koolaid, lemonade, iced tea).

Be aware, be vigilant, be clean, make smart travel choices, and most of all don’t panic.

Don’t buy into the media hype.

Ummmmm  is 42lbs of good pasta too much?

The Sicilian in me says no....  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Let's stay on target and not have too much thread drift.

Thus isn't a SHTF scenario.  That's a much diff scenario and diff prep.

Toothpaste salt and franks red hot

5 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Good start.  :)

That's just the normal stock....plus the tomatoes to make a nice sauce...yes sauce...different thread to argue that...

Plus beans rice flour apple sauce almond butter crackers....  yadda yadda yadda

We ALL SHOULD ALWAYS BE PREPARING....!.

Oh yes and bourbon.....  lots of bourbon and whiskey ...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I was in BJs Ledgewood yesterday. And I happened to notice that in the toilet paper, paper towel etc. aisle they had pallets stacked on the floor, in the aisles, in front of the normal shelving that holds them.

Think they're expecting a run?

1 hour ago, xXxplosive said:

Went to CVS Drug Store to buy some rubbing alcohol...…...shelves were bare....they told me they were sold out of the stuff.

Save your money.  Alcohol is great for bacteria but only so-so when it comes to viruses.  It does not work on norovirus, HIV SARS, MRSA and a whole bunch more.  It can't hurt to have some on hand but it has to be 70% or better to work on the viruses that it will work on.  Walmart carries 91% iso real cheap.

The stuff that does work on most all viruses is pretty nasty.  You would absolutely NOT want to use it for hand sanitizer.  It would cause a very bad reaction.  It's highly effective for cleaning doorknobs, drawer pulls,  children's toys (but they have to be rinsed after) and just about any other surface people touch all the time.  The stuff I'm familiar with is called Cavicide and Cavi Wipes.  If there is a medical supply near you, they might have it or will have something else just as effective.

For cleaning surfaces,  1:50 bleach/water works great on viruses.  The ratio I use is a bit overkill, but I like over kill..  Just don't wear anything you like.  It's almost impossible to not get bleach on you.

Just keep your hands off your face, off other people's faces, out of your mouth, out of other people's mouths, eat food with not coughed on utensils, wash your hands regularly.  you will have upped your prevention game exponentially by just doing that.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Grapeshot said:

Where do you guys live? I was in Flemington ShopRite today and all the shelves were filled (plenty of TP!) and it was just like any other Saturday.  

Monmouth County.  Full shelves.  Normal store traffic.  

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

Monmouth County NJ Hosp. testing one person for the virus now according to "Patch".

Should this start headin' South....I won't be accepting my mail, who knows where those darn advertisements have been.

Person was negative.  It was Bayshore Med Center I was told.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

I was at a Total Wine & More store today and for the life of me, I could not figure out why it looked like New Years Eve in there....Now I Know!  Stupid fools!

Apparently they think alcohol kills the WuFlu. At least they'll be so wasted, they won't realize when they catch it!! :yahoo:

• Haha 1

Side note and it has a political twist and not to derail the thread...

I watched the entire press conference yesterday and the media is 100% dishonest and not factual, they report what 'they' want to report.

At one point the president, and to me looked about as honest as can be said, ...  " you know maybe, maybe this can ultimately bring the world together."  Or something as close to that..but 100% said bring the world together.

Why isnt that news?  Why isn't it news that the sitting POTUS expresses hope that a concerning thing that is striking the world, can hopefully bring us all in the world together????

THAT is a powerful message....not the fear mongering..

The media in this nation is 10000% dishonest and are no better than propaganda peddlers...

That is sickening..... 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

52 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

The media in this nation is 10000% dishonest and are no better than propaganda peddlers...

and sadly, half the population believes what they're selling, and refuse to do their own research and plan accordingly.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Side note and it has a political twist and not to derail the thread...

I watched the entire press conference yesterday and the media is 100% dishonest and not factual, they report what 'they' want to report.

At one point the president, and to me looked about as honest as can be said, ...  " you know maybe, maybe this can ultimately bring the world together."  Or something as close to that..but 100% said bring the world together.

Why isnt that news?  Why isn't it news that the sitting POTUS expresses hope that a concerning thing that is striking the world, can hopefully bring us all in the world together????

THAT is a powerful message....not the fear mongering..

That is sickening..... 

got a link to that one? how far in?

20 hours ago, Grapeshot said:

Where do you guys live? I was in Flemington ShopRite today and all the shelves were filled (plenty of TP!) and it was just like any other Saturday.  

Now you did it they will all be heading there now that you told them there is a good supply.

And in other news......

Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) is a leading cause ofdeath in the United States, claiming an estimated 325,000 lives each year. SCA kills 1,000 people a day or one person every two minutes. It is estimated that 95 percent of victims of cardiac arrest die before they reach a hospital or other source of emergency help.

oh my..go buy more bread eggs and milk.....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) is a leading cause ofdeath in the United States, claiming an estimated 325,000 lives each year.

I can top that... 647,000 people die each year (over 1,700 a DAY) due to cardiovascular disease. Have you ever heard of anyone calling for a ban on double cheeseburgers or Twinkees?

• Like 1