gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

29 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I can top that... 647,000 people die each year (over 1,700 a DAY) due to cardiovascular disease. Have you ever heard of anyone calling for a ban on double cheeseburgers or Twinkees?

don't give em any ideas

On 2/29/2020 at 6:31 PM, gleninjersey said:

Place was PACKED.  And not your usual Costco on the weekend packed. More like your local mall a few days before Christmas PACKED.

When things calm down a bit with market, might be a good buy, should have a good quarter or two.

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

I can top that... 647,000 people die each year (over 1,700 a DAY) due to cardiovascular disease. Have you ever heard of anyone calling for a ban on double cheeseburgers or Twinkees?

Some asshats in my old neighborhood...

.......the water is NOT going off...... One 44-year-old Brooklynite, who would only give his name as Felix, said he was buying 11 cases of Poland Spring water “in case we get stuck inside.” 

Your faucet will work.......  bush terminal area  used to be filled with self sufficient remarkable people...seems times have changed... 

1 hour ago, USRifle30Cal said:

.......the water is NOT going off...... One 44-year-old Brooklynite, who would only give his name as Felix, said he was buying 11 cases of Poland Spring water “in case we get stuck inside.” 

Your faucet will work....... 

Well, it's a long shot, but it could go off. If the local government institutes a regional quarantine, and forces all workers to stay home, and there's no one to work/man the water treatment pumps, or chlorine doesn't get delivered, so they can't treat the water, there could be a disruption in water service. I know, maybe low risk, but possible.

Same with power, cable, propane or natural gas.

So, even if you have 11 cases of water, that won't last long. For planning, you need a better source of water (and other utilities).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Some asshats in my old neighborhood...

Your faucet will work.......  bush terminal area  used to be filled with self sufficient remarkable people...seems times have changed... 

I get alerts from my local OEM when power goes out or there is a water main break in town. Happens often enough I keep 5+ cases on hand anyway. I still need to get a nat gas gennie to cover the crap electric service that is JCP&L.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 8:28 AM, 1LtCAP said:

i've got masks, food, and water(not enough yet). got extra tp, paper towels, and CASH. i know someone's gonna poopoo about cash....but in reality, in any sort of emergency, it's good to have handy.

I'm with you on cash. Unless it's the end of the world, the currency still counts, and cash works when the computers are down. It's also useful simply for off hours problems where cash still works when the banks are closed. 

During Sandy, around me at least, there was at least three days where stores and places were starting to open, but the payment systems weren't on line. Didn't regret having cash on hand one bit. 

• Like 2

Cash is always good. Always. It's no different than water or ammo. 

No matter where you are at everyone knows American dollars. 

During Sandy I know guys who bought fuel, generators, meds, etc. Cash only. 

It's a simple funny story but lesson learned. That big snow storm we had 4 years ago....my neighbhood is private so we have contractors do the snow removal. Guy was in bulldozer pushing the snow.  I had cleaned around my truck/car, when he came by I offered him $50 cash if I could move my cars and could he clean/clear my driveway, front of house etc. He obliged.  Looked like a Chinese fire drill moving the vehicles but got it done. Best $50 I ever spent.  My neighbors caught on real quick. They all paid. One guy didn't have cash but ended giving the guy a couple restaurant gift cards.  Lol. My kids got a lesson in the value of a dollar.  Our street is also the first one that guy comes too when it snows.  Lol. Last year was funny it snowed a few inches.  I hear a big vehicle outside.  One of my boys yell hey Dad the snow guy is here.  Lol. 

Cash is King. If you don't have it use the ammo to get it.  Lol. 

• Like 1

Some words of wisdom from one of the countries ultimate prepper:

...." James Wesley Rawles is hunkered down at an undisclosed location west of the Rockies. “I’m not at liberty to say what state I live in,” he told MarketWatch via internet phone. “I live in the inland Northwest... more than two hours from any decent shopping. We could lock our gate and say goodbye to the world for two or three years and get along just fine.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-americas-extreme-survivalists-are-preparing-for-a-worst-case-coronavirus-epidemic-beans-bullets-and-band-aids-2020-03-02?mod=home-page

Probably some of the best advice    ....

Don’t worry about what you don’t know. Worry about what you can control.’

—James Wesley Rawles, a ‘prepper’ who lives at an undisclosed location west of the Rockies
  • Like 1

Sitrep...Manhattan is quite...feels like a friday summer afternoon quite...

Base building access control from a site i logged into..typical.load 5k to 5500....last two days 2850 2467 respectively ...

My wife reports all stores up towards rockaway..costco fully stocked...  

However, people just mostly buying bottled water and TP...   other much more needed items...just sitting on pallets.

Attach46473_20200303_102526.jpg

Went to my local Walmart. South Jersey. Definitely had that pre snow storm activity.  Half the water aisle was empty. Not a single container of Lysol wipes on the shelf.  Paper towels and TP were pretty bare. Zero hand sanitizer. Soaps half gone.  

Crazy considering this was noon on a Tuesday. Assuming they will restock it tonight. 

Yesterday, Mrs Tex told me that her boss asked her to order a bottle of hand sanitizer for everyone in her office. 

She found that Amazon only had case lots available, from 3rd party sellers, and exorbitant prices. Like $200 for a case of 8 small bottles. 

I need to figure out how to make my own and sell it!! Lol

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, DaddyNick said:

Went to my local Walmart.

I just came back from mine. I went over just for the entertainment value and to pick up a few things. I expected it to be cleared out too, but the shelves looked in good shape and they had rows of loaded pallets in the aisles, ready to restock.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Yesterday, Mrs Tex told me that her boss asked her to order a bottle of hand sanitizer for everyone in her office. 

She found that Amazon only had case lots available, from 3rd party sellers, and exorbitant prices. Like $200 for a case of 8 small bottles. 

I need to figure out how to make my own and sell it!! Lol

gel up some rubbing alcohol and ya got it

• Agree 1

And in Australia -

Toilet paper -  FOMO

However in Sydney, the nation's largest city, supermarket shelves have been cleared in minutes, forcing one chain to enforce a four-pack buying limit.

Police were even called to a dispute on Wednesday, with reports saying a knife was pulled out in an argument over toilet roll between panic buying shoppers.

The human being might actually turn out to be more dangerous in the end, than the virus itself.

Sheeple....

• Like 1

People seem to forget, if you run out of toilet paper, you do what humans have done for around 200,000 years.  You do without it.

There are still billions of people today who do not use toilet paper.   Having spent time in the 3rd world, if there's no paper, there's no paper.

The worst?  One of our first trips to China to inspect the new facility.  They showed us around and showed us the bathroom, all proud!

There was a squat toilet, a bucket, a hose and a rag.

I'm still not quite sure how it all works other than aiming the water from the hose at your taint and covering the back wall with poo spray.  Of course, you're going to get some bounce on your clothing, but hey it's normal.

First order of business was to get a toilet and paper installed for us and the employee of the week got to use the western toilet as a perk!

18 minutes ago, Malsua said:

People seem to forget, if you run out of toilet paper, you do what humans have done for around 200,000 years.  You do without it.

There are still billions of people today who do not use toilet paper.   Having spent time in the 3rd world, if there's no paper, there's no paper.

The worst?  One of our first trips to China to inspect the new facility.  They showed us around and showed us the bathroom, all proud!

There was a squat toilet, a bucket, a hose and a rag.

I'm still not quite sure how it all works other than aiming the water from the hose at your taint and covering the back wall with poo spray.  Of course, you're going to get some bounce on your clothing, but hey it's normal.

First order of business was to get a toilet and paper installed for us and the employee of the week got to use the western toilet as a perk!

You didn't know about the three sea shells?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, CMJeepster said:

You didn't know about the three sea shells?

Exactly.

I think you're supposed to use your hand, wash it in the bucket, dump the bucket, rinse your hand with the hose, refill the bucket and dry your hand with the towel.

I figure you can crap in the bucket, splatter the back wall shooting water at your anus, and run the towel right up the middle to dry.   For good measure you can wet the towel and fling it at the back wall where it will stick and be like a flag that the facility needs cleaned.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Exactly.

I think you're supposed to use your hand, wash it in the bucket, dump the bucket, rinse your hand with the hose, refill the bucket and dry your hand with the towel.

I figure you can crap in the bucket, splatter the back wall shooting water at your anus, and run the towel right up the middle to dry.   For good measure you can wet the towel and fling it at the back wall where it will stick and be like a flag that the facility needs cleaned.

Having been an outdoorsman all of my life, I can tell you that it's so easy to crap outside and not have to worry about such a complicated routine.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

Having been an outdoorsman all of my life, I can tell you that it's so easy to crap outside and not have to worry about such a complicated routine.

Who needs to be an outdoorsman?   This Mercedes driver stopped by work a few months back....

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

I have more than once had the unfortunate urge to crap in the woods... ussually at 6am right after a half mile walk to the duck blind, a coffee and breakfast sandwich deep. 

While the first time I had to use natural resources to clean myself, really no biggie... I now pack wet wipes in my blind bag.. 

I would however never suggest pooping in quantity anywhere near where you live... that shit (literally) will end up in your drinking water and is just not something you want to be exposed to. 

7 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I have more than once had the unfortunate urge to crap in the woods... ussually at 6am right after a half mile walk to the duck blind, a coffee and breakfast sandwich deep. 

While the first time I had to use natural resources to clean myself, really no biggie... I now pack wet wipes in my blind bag.. 

I would however never suggest pooping in quantity anywhere near where you live... that shit (literally) will end up in your drinking water and is just not something you want to be exposed to. 

Believe me, I know a bit too much about pooping outside.