gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

On 3/5/2020 at 12:00 PM, High Exposure said:

You can’t have it both ways...

watch this

1 hour ago, CMJeepster said:

"Asian-Americans Terrified of Coronavirus Backlash Stock Up on Guns"  https://www.yahoo.com/news/asian-americans-terrified-coronavirus-backlash-161833574.html

beware of the rise of the roof Koreans. stuff just got real.

• Haha 1

My MIL had planned a trip for the whole family (3Adults, 3 kids) to FL in about a week. She’s considering cancelling and trying to get her money back.  While I think the risk is very low and FL may be a better place than NJ to be. Not sure I can disagree with her either.  

42 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

My MIL had planned a trip for the whole family (3Adults, 3 kids) to FL in about a week. She’s considering cancelling and trying to get her money back.  While I think the risk is very low and FL may be a better place than NJ to be. Not sure I can disagree with her either.  

Disney?

Just go... i was there mid February....

I don't think we're to a point where this thing is everywhere but then again, how can you know?  Like the Italian Chinese delivery guy who started the epidemic there.  

The Wall Street Journal had a great article on travel and it discussed a study done after the H1N1 days of 2009

The odds were better in first class, also blowing the air jet on your face helps.

Wash your hands, don't touch your face.  A mask helps you prevent this.   It's utter nonsense that wearing a mask may make you sick.  In fact, studies have shown they reduce your likelihood of getting sick 8x!   They are telling everyone not to wear masks to make sure they aren't getting hoarded.   In fact, everyone ought to be wearing one, it would stop the asymptomatic carrier.  It takes 15 seconds to fit the mask to your face.  Stretch it out so it covers your chin, pinch the nose piece down.  Done!  Men need to be clean shaven.

Wipe down the tray table, seat belt, seat sides, etc.    My wife and I have been doing this FOR YEARS!

I am not planning any air travel, but if I had already booked a vacation, I would go.

I am not getting on a plague ship though.  If I were booked on a cruise, I would not go.  Look at the Grand Princess now?  Oof.

• Informative 1

39 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Sooo if I wanna be a tier 1 viral operator,  wash my hands consistently? And like maybe use disinfect wipes on the shopping cart? Oh and maybe shower 2 x a day. 
Hold my beer. I got this

Today, for the first time in my life, I disinfected  a shopping cart with wipes the supermarket has at the entrance.    I probably should have been doing it all along.  Those hand bars are probably covered in boogers.

Just remember this.  The last person that used that cart could have wiped their ass with their finger ( it's a real thing).  Covered their cough with their hand, only to generously share their fluids with you on the shopping cart, or deposited any number of disgusting things you would not intentionally touch.  Use the fuk'n wipes.

btw.  The company my wife works for has restricted business AND personal travel to Manhattan and Westchester.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

6 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Today, for the first time in my life, I disinfected  a shopping cart with wipes the supermarket has at the entrance.    I probably should have been doing it all along.  Those hand bars are probably covered in boogers.

Funny....I started doing that two weeks ago.   I've never, ever bothered before even though I know there have been some foul boogies and other fluids on there.

Also, just on that note...get carts that have been sitting there for a while.  Some research shows 9 hours for other Corona family viruses to deactivate.   If the cart has been sitting for a while, you're good.

• Informative 1

Just now, Scorpio64 said:

Pakistani immigrant, not an Italian national.

Yeah, but it was an Italian Chinese delivery guy.  I was referring to WHERE not his nationality, as in he wasn't an American Chinese delivery guy or whatever.   If you recall, I first posted about that particular super spreader up thread a bit.

19 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Just remember this.  The last person that used that cart could have wiped their ass with their finger ( it's a real thing).  Covered their cough with their hand, only to generously share their fluids with you on the shopping cart, or deposited any number of disgusting things you would not intentionally touch.  Use the fuk'n wipes.

btw.  The company my wife works for has restricted business AND personal travel to Manhattan and Westchester.

Sooo I should not continue to scratch my but inside my underwear 

Now in Camden County

4 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Sooo I should not continue to scratch my but inside my underwear 

Yes, because it’s a rookie move. You need to go from the outside since the cloth is a superior scrubber and collector. 

edit:  a certain irony that a post about scooping poo and Camden county get merged....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, voyager9 said:

Nah.  Beachside resort/hotel on east coast.  Not exactly sure. Wife/MIL have been planning. 

Go!

Sun salt relax....think of it as putting ones mind at ease for at least a bit...have a plan to drive home if need be...manage risk...go enjoy...not like your going to taiwan or seattle...  ;) 

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

Funny i was there all day today and on the B and F train...

Am i as good as dead?  I better enjoy my bourbon that i am having now then i guess....gonna try to get the blood alcohol to 61% then

Out of a city of what 8 million,  at any given time, i see more pathogens from the homeless the druggies the human excrement the flu, the rotovirus, and yeah maybe the corona....  

Not to say be foolish but life goes on....i had a better chance of getting clipped by a car crossing 34th than the virus...

On 3/5/2020 at 2:10 PM, Malsua said:

While lengthy, I tend to just turn them on and browse other stuff.  He documents everything as to sources.  Puts out a daily video in the evening.  Peak Prosperity - Chris Martenson

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD2-QVBQi48RRQTD4Jhxu8w

Another good source is Dr. John Campbell.  He goes into how it infects, and more detail. Great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Campbellteaching/videos

The biggest issue with a Pandemic is flattening the bell curve.  You want to stretch out and buy time as much as possible.  Trump stopping entry from Chinese had exactly this effect.  It probably pushed the spread in this country back several weeks.   The same for SK, Italy and Iran.   It all buys time.

I've said this from the beginning.  If everyone catches  this, you want to be in the very early stages to get the best treatment or the very end stages where they have figured out therapies and improved the prognosis significantly.   Catching it smack at the top of the bell curve is the worst possible scenario.

If I can "prep" and take off a couple weeks, play video games, split firewood, etc. and only catch it at the end?  Perfect.  Ideally you never get it at all or get it mild.   Still, my age cohort (50-59) has a 1.3% fatality rate and considering my Asthma, I'm probably a touch higher.    I know I wouldn't get into a car if I had a 1.3% chance of dying every time.    Fortunately, this thing seems to skip children and babies.  That's a small win.

I've been watching Peak Prosperity too.

Good information, but he tends to think worst case (which is, of course, a possiblity) and kinda long winded.

I have found medcram to take a more balanced view and also focus more on medical viewpoint.

If you are under 60 ish and don't suffer from any co-morbidities (cardio vascular, CRD, diabetes, hypertension), your odds are good.

Also, consider the number of unreported cases, and I think the denominator is vastly under stated.  Look at South Korea, with a much lower fatality to total case rate due to very aggressive testing. 

Stopped by my Costco in Hazlet yesterday morning  to pick up a few items and see the situation there. Was quite busy for 1030am but everyone seemed calm. Two case limit on water. Noticed water, TP, and paper towels in most shopping carts.

It appears to me that Costco is  going out of their way to not allow shelves to look empty. Eg week before last they had peroxide and alcohol next to each other. Last week no alcohol but the peroxide was spread out to fill the empty space.  Yesterday I saw neither, and there were bandaids filling that section. Just anecdotal I know, but interesting to monitor.

If it’s a pandemic, that means the quarantine scenario has failed and the spread is uncontrollable. So to say that it’s a pandemic pretty much means quarantine is no longer a viable way to control the outbreak.  I am not sure we are there yet but maybe so.

The fact with this virus is that 85% of the people who get it will get anywhere from no symptoms to mild fever, headache, sniffles and coughing. 15% will have a more severe reaction with 90% of those recovering. Because it is a respiratory issue those with underlying health issues, ie. Emphysema, asthma, COPD, etc., or elderly with other heath issues are the at risk group that should be focused on here.

When you see these numbers of infected, just remember most will recover from it without an issue and because the virus can present with no issues at all it is nearly impossible to tell the total number of cases. The ones we are hearing about are generally ones that are presenting symptoms though they are testing those in certain cases like the cruise ships. You cannot get a mortality rate for a disease without a solid number of infected and with this one the total number of infected is probably massively higher then the official number, they are just people that had no real reaction or so mild they just ignored it. I think the count of US dead is at 22 so far but the infected count could be in the tens of thousands with most not even knowing they have/had it so were never tested for it. That would make the mortality rate around the normal flu rate by way of comparison. 

https://www.webmd.com/lung/coronavirus#1

There is a lot of panic right now but stick with the basics, diluted bleach and Lysol go a long way in killing this and most other viruses and bacteria. Washing hands is so basic I’m amazed people need to be told this stuff. Wiping counters and sinks with Lysol or Clorox wipes is pretty much common sense during flu season too. 

It’s a scary world people, stay safe out there...

-Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, JimB1 said:

If it’s a pandemic, that means the quarantine scenario has failed and the spread is uncontrollable. So to say that it’s a pandemic pretty much means quarantine is no longer a viable way to control the outbreak.  I am not sure we are there yet but maybe so.

The fact with this virus is that 85% of the people who get it will get anywhere from no symptoms to mild fever, headache, sniffles and coughing. 15% will have a more severe reaction with 90% of those recovering. Because it is a respiratory issue those with underlying health issues, ie. Emphysema, asthma, COPD, etc., or elderly with other heath issues are the at risk group that should be focused on here.

When you see these numbers of infected, just remember most will recover from it without an issue and because the virus can present with no issues at all it is nearly impossible to tell the total number of cases. The ones we are hearing about are generally ones that are presenting symptoms though they are testing those in certain cases like the cruise ships. You cannot get a mortality rate for a disease without a solid number of infected and with this one the total number of infected is probably massively higher then the official number, they are just people that had no real reaction or so mild they just ignored it. I think the count of US dead is at 22 so far but the infected count could be in the tens of thousands with most not even knowing they have/had it so were never tested for it. That would make the mortality rate around the normal flu rate by way of comparison. 

https://www.webmd.com/lung/coronavirus#1

There is a lot of panic right now but stick with the basics, diluted bleach and Lysol go a long way in killing this and most other viruses and bacteria. Washing hands is so basic I’m amazed people need to be told this stuff. Wiping counters and sinks with Lysol or Clorox wipes is pretty much common sense during flu season too. 

It’s a scary world people, stay safe out there...

-Jim

At this point in time - as opposed to 6 weeks ago or so, much more is known but still a lot of unknows - the media has whipped this and the sheeple into such a frenzy, that their reactions to it, are more worrisome than the virus itself.

Once again, what I still fear most is the irrational behaviour of humans, to a crisis, it might still be time to load rifle mags in lieu of just HG/Shotties as would be a normal scenario for HD.

*If* the masses are whipped into a frenzy enough, that is when things start to become a tipping point, just look at Black Friday sales, the animals are out.  Now it is I gots to get my my hand sanitizer's !!!

Interesting times to say the least.......

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

of course the "quarantine" failed. they fucking flew people out of the first city to be quarantined.

And Americans in Italy are free to fly home and probably won't face any screening.  :icon_rolleyes:

DHS said yesterday, don't get on a cruise ship.  I would have thought that to be obvious since about January 20 when this thing became a global story.

I have a co-worker who's brother is stuck on a cruise ship near the Caymen islands and is not allowed to dock.  That one isn't in the news yet or it may have resolved, I'm not entirely sure.  No plague ships for me!

There is a very real chance that people will get in a quarantine zone.   This is why you need to have weeks worth of food on hand, not because there is going to be a supply problem.   If I'm told to hang out at home?  It's a vacation!

There is a police enforced quarantine in California.  Everyone knows that the infection in California never stays there.  Look at the gun laws.

Some dunce who was in Quarantine took his daughter to a father daughter dance and will probably be responsible for a cluster in St Louis.  This is why quarantines needs to be enforced.  Too many people feel that they can't be bothered.

• Agree 2

On 3/6/2020 at 5:41 PM, USRifle30Cal said:

Not to say be foolish but life goes on....i had a better chance of getting clipped by a car crossing 34th than the virus...

Some people think 33rd is a real life "Frogger" game (see aging myself). Crossing four lanes of traffic AGAINST the light.

I want to get home as bad as most people but not THAT badly.

• Haha 1

Install a bidet. It eliminates about 60% of the need for showers.

Full European.

And I've been using the shopping cart wipes for the last three years. Along with apple cider vinegar tablets. Haven't been sick since.

11 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Install a bidet. It eliminates about 60% of the need for showers.

Full European.

And I've been using the shopping cart wipes for the last three years. Along with apple cider vinegar tablets. Haven't been sick since.

Are all three of the above sentences in the same context?

• Haha 2