gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

4 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

It's better than the previous year's 29%. A really good year is about 60% IIRC. Which is why a vaccination rate greater than 50% is desired.

From the CDC, it's been worse the last few years:

flu effectivness.jpg

To AVB's screed. You make gross assumptions about what is going on here. The administration is never going to (and never should), scream panic. THeir job is to say this isn't as bad as the fear mongers are making out. You say that and then do something.

The US passed on WHO tests. Perhaps that was charitable saying we can take care of ourselves help out people in worse shape than us. We are getting more tests online, and nobody is going to give a fuck if they are sanctioned or not (hint they will be), they are going to show up. It might reflect the need for a reality check on our own domestic production ability on certain critical items. Just because we can get it for you in short order when things are going well doesn't mean we have functioning domestic production. 

As for drive through testing, it's already here. Just not on a large universal scale. IT too will be if the infected numbers rise.  Quite probably if it doesn't. But that will come when there isn't scarcity of testing supplies for admitted patients. 

If you think it isn't being taken seriously by the administration, you are an idiot blinded by your own politics. has it been perfect? No. Would it have been perfect with someone else in the oval office? No. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

I’m in the USVI at the moment...there was zero for screening at the airport. I’m interested to see what happens upon our return. I doubt anything, but one never knows...

Be safe !

5 minutes ago, Sniper said:

From the CDC, it's been worse the last few years:

flu effectivness.jpg

Your chart says exactly what I said. 45% is decent, 60 ius about the peak, 29 was last years which wasn't so hot.  Which is why they keep seeking >95% vaccination rate for the flu. With effectiveness rates like that, you really need a high rate of uptake to get near the herd immunity levels. 

The healthcare system takes this seriously. And folks like you say "wargharble... no vaccines!". 

Your need to post that everyone other than you is wrong somehow, even when you post shit which was exactly what they just said, is baffling. 

2 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

The healthcare system takes this seriously. And folks like you say "wargharble... no vaccines!".

I said it's been worse the past few years. Did you have a difficult time understanding that point?

The point is, people get the vaccine, and get a false sense of security, then wonder why they catch the flu, when the stats show it's barely 40% effective the last 4 years. How long has the US pharma been manufacturing the flu vaccine?

5 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

With effectiveness rates like that, you really need a high rate of uptake to get near the herd immunity levels. 

With 100% of uptake, you'd still have 60% catching it. Great herd immunity. You're better off letting your body build up immunity to the different strains, instead of relying on a vaccine which is less than 50% effective.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sniper said:

You're better off letting your body build up immunity to the different strains, instead of relying on a vaccine which is less than 50% effective.

Bad at math much.

100% chance of catching it if exposed (building up immunity bro!)

50% chance of catching it if exposed.

You're suggesting the first is a better option.    What kind of a mental knot did  you twist yourself up into to get to that conclusion?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I said it's been worse the past few years. Did you have a difficult time understanding that point?

The point is, people get the vaccine, and get a false sense of security, then wonder why they catch the flu, when the stats show it's barely 40% effective the last 4 years. How long has the US pharma been manufacturing the flu vaccine?

With 100% of uptake, you'd still have 60% catching it. Great herd immunity. You're better off letting your body build up immunity to the different strains, instead of relying on a vaccine which is less than 50% effective.

The more flavors of flu you build immunity to, the better your odds. If you don't get the vaccine, your body's immune system isn't sampling any more varieties than you naturally encounter.  Unless the vaccine comes with significant risk, it's all upside. 

IMO the worst risk is entering medical facilities because that's where all the sick people and super bugs are. Fortunately the flu vaccine is available without having to visit such places. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Malsua said:

You're suggesting the first is a better option.    What kind of a mental knot did  you twist yourself up into to get to that conclusion?

My point was based around the fact of people getting the false sense of security, since they received the vaccine, and think they are protected from it. The odds still are still against them.

15 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

The more flavors of flu you build immunity to, the better your odds. If you don't get the vaccine, your body's immune system isn't sampling any more varieties than you naturally encounter. 

True, but many of these flavors are recurring each year, so many build up immunity over the years. It's rare that anyone wouldn't be exposed to any of them. Many people's natural immune system fights off the usual strains with minimal symptoms.

19 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

Unless the vaccine comes with significant risk, it's all upside. 

If you're a "at risk" part of the population, it is. But, I have a issue accepting something with a 40% effective rate. Would you hire a contractor knowing he's only going to do 40% of the job. How about hiring a worker, knowing they will only complete 40% of the task you give them. Somehow, depending on the situation, Americans set the bar really low. With a effective rate of 40% and a fatality rate of 0.1%, I'll take my chances on catching the flu, versus taking a vaccine, and let my body do what's it's designed to do, and fight it off.

26 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

IMO the worst risk is entering medical facilities because that's where all the sick people and super bugs are.

That's a bigger issue than worrying about the flu vaccine. More people catch other diseases and die from medical errors in medical facilities than many other causes. The best health treatment is get personally healthly and stay out of those places.

11 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

The more flavors of flu you build immunity to, the better your odds. If you don't get the vaccine, your body's immune system isn't sampling any more varieties than you naturally encounter.  Unless the vaccine comes with significant risk, it's all upside. 

Quite true.

Also, and this is a critical point, there are brand new strains every year, and you can't build up immunity to something to which you've not been exposed.   But you can be vaccinated against it.   I favor the latter approach to developing immunity, as it doesn't involve me getting sick with the flu, and passing it on to other people.

The yearly vaccine development efforts look at new strains emerging in the far East, predicts which ones are most likely to be a problem here, and then rush to get a vaccine out against those strains.  

In years when the predictions are good, the vaccine has high effectiveness.  In year when the predictions are off or a strain undergoes genetic drift during the months when vaccine production is scaling up, the vaccine is less effective.   But given the multi-month lead time to produce and distribute the vaccine, you can't wait for the flu to arrive, you have to make the best prediction you can, and act on them.  The predictions are imperfect, and so the protection is imperfect.    But what's the alternative--developing a vaccine to last year's strains?  That's worse.

The tri- and quadrivalent vaccines typically cover some mix of known strains likely to return, and brand new strains making their first appearance.  This year's trivalent vaccine covered one returning strain and two new strains, for example.  At the outset of the flu season, no one had immunity to the new strains.

• Like 1

Just now, Sniper said:

My point was based around the fact of people getting the false sense of security, since they received the vaccine, and think they are protected from it. The odds still are still against them.

Vaccines are either live attenuated or inactivated.   They all do the same thing.  They give your immune system a pattern to build immunity to so if the real thing shows up, it knows how to respond.  They do this without making you sick.  The downside is that while your body is fighting the "infection" you can be weakened to other pathogens.

If you want to build your immunity, get vaccines. Even if they are only 50% accurate, they still can help reduce severity because a lot of genetic code is shared between strains and  your body can figure this out.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

This thing is more of a threat than Coronavirus....a threat of knocking over my run drink. 

Where’s the air fryer when I need it?!

9202A965-9AE4-4612-960B-B180ADAD8726.jpeg

Crockpot would be better. Air fryer would turn that gizzard into a belt

They just closed the schools for two weeks here in Bayonne, an influx of pandemonia ensued at the local Walmart.  There is literally no food on the shelves.  And forget TP or PT.  Amazing

6 minutes ago, Malsua said:

NYC in the process of shutting down.

Lincoln center and the met., broadway.

Just left manhattan...quite...rt 3 passing giants stadium...no traffic..doing better then the double nickle......usually a parking lot.

Good...they need to blunt the peak....GB expecting it in two weeks...

Here's a note. My wife went to Shoprite Newton about four days ago. Went into the front vestibule to get a sterile wipe for the cart handle as usual, and there's none there. ?

I went this afternoon and while checking something out of the pharmacy asked about it. The clerk told me they stole three containers of wipes in 36 hours, so they brought them inside and parked them in front of the customer service desk.

The lines today were about equal to three or four days before Thanksgiving. About eight registers open, three carts deep and most carts filled at least to the top line. The self-checkout registers had about a five person deep line when I got in it, and employees were directing traffic. At 3 PM on a March Thursday.

Not exactly a panic. But people are gearing up.

I was in two medical offices in the last 24 hours and their phones are humming with corona questions. I gather mainly elderly and scared people. I think I'm qualified as elderly, but I'm a long way from scared.

• Informative 1

Was just in my local Walmart, been shopping there for like 6-1/2 years. Decided to take a look at the toilet paper and cleaning aisles... I was shocked!! Never ever saw it anywhere close to this!

Toilet paper- cleaned out. Paper towels- cleaned out. disinfectant cleaners - cleaned out. bleach - cleaned out.

This is what crazy panic and hype does when it meets Just in Time inventory...

TP.jpg

PT.jpg

CP2.jpg

BL.jpg

54 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

I just got a notice from one of my Pharmaceutical customers in Princeton that they will be closing for 2 weeks.

If it's the same one I'm thinking of, I just heard they were sending them home for 3 weeks, until the beginning of April.

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

They just closed the schools for two weeks here in Bayonne, an influx of pandemonia ensued at the local Walmart.  There is literally no food on the shelves.  And forget TP or PT.  Amazing

Wow!  The Walmart near me is fully stocked as of this morning.  The irony for me is that I will be on a plane more than I ever have been since I started with the program I work with.  I fly to Texas next week and Kansas in June......so far.

2 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Here's a note. My wife went to Shoprite Newton about four days ago. Went into the front vestibule to get a sterile wipe for the cart handle as usual, and there's none there. ?

I went this afternoon and while checking something out of the pharmacy asked about it. The clerk told me they stole three containers of wipes in 36 hours, so they brought them inside and parked them in front of the customer service desk.

The lines today were about equal to three or four days before Thanksgiving. About eight registers open, three carts deep and most carts filled at least to the top line. The self-checkout registers had about a five person deep line when I got in it, and employees were directing traffic. At 3 PM on a March Thursday.

Not exactly a panic. But people are gearing up.

I was in two medical offices in the last 24 hours and their phones are humming with corona questions. I gather mainly elderly and scared people. I think I'm qualified as elderly, but I'm a long way from scared.

Went to the one in Wharton today at 6 pm. The parking lot was packed to the brim. Got a space right at the entrance, shut off the car and stated thinking, nobody is buying all the broccoli, the lettuce and whatever fresh vegetables they have this week. Turned the car back on and drove away. I'll go back tomorrow when the craziness tampers down.

20 minutes ago, WP22 said:

Went to the one in Wharton today at 6 pm. The parking lot was packed to the brim. Got a space right at the entrance, shut off the car and stated thinking, nobody is buying all the broccoli, the lettuce and whatever fresh vegetables they have this week. Turned the car back on and drove away. I'll go back tomorrow when the craziness tampers down.

I was there today at 11:30 am. It was exactly the way you  just described. It won’t be better tomorrow. You should have just got it over with...