gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

3 hours ago, Malsua said:

I'm in Highland Lakes.  We block breakneck, Canistear, Barret and 638, there is no way in short of quads/dirt bikes.  Even that is sketchy.   The woods, swamps and mountains/cliffs/rockwalls are a severe impediment to travel.  Possible, yes.  Difficult, certainly.

I'm about 4 miles crow flight from the top of stairway, with only a slight elevation change.

Keep in mind, a well filed chainsaw can get around any blockage if they aren't protected. Hell we were clearing streets ourselves back in November after that storm when we lost power for 4 days and no crews in sight. 

6 minutes ago, Sniper said:

My point was, I see many people thinking that it will be only a two week closing or vacation for the kids, then think come April, everything will be back to normal. So they use two weeks of vacation, and think everything will be normal in two weeks. Then, what happens when they're told it's an additional two weeks or a month???

I don't see that. Almost all the schools have developed at home learning strategies, and most work is attempting to maximize at home policies if possible. The schools look like they will be able to function even with one hand tied wth remote learning... the whole working thing for people... yeah thats gonna be an issue.. after 2 weeks remote working can stop being productive.. otherwise why dont we just work from home always?

Increasing time away from schools should be a non issue for 90% of schools, good luck newark... patersons camden.

Just as a point of reference, to go with all the panic hoarding, here's the current stats of the seasonal Flu versus the Covid as of yesterday:

As a comparison, the seasonal Flu WORLDWIDE:

There are reported to be some 1 billion influenza infections worldwide each year, with up to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year, tens of thousands of U.S. deaths, and 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide.

In the USA: CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 36 million flu illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths from flu.

Now, the current Covid WORLDWIDE:

Coronavirus had infected 128,392 people globally and killed 4,728 as of Friday morning,

The U.S. had over 1,701 confirmed coronavirus cases and 40 deaths.

So, for some reason, people don't worry about the seasonal flu, yet are running with their hair on fire with the Covid?

HairOnFire.gif

HairOnFire.gif

HairOnFire.gif

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

I look at it 2 ways;

1-people are really overreacting to this and the media is culpable

2-it's far more dangerous than the official reports

I believe it's in the middle

that said, every house with children ought to have enough water, food, supplies on hand to weather at minimum 1 month without leaving the house to include no electricity etc..   Some have more:)

16 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Dunno. I know some folks are starting to take it very seriously and that is making my job exponentially more difficult.

This article put a few things in perspective that I had not thought of before, and made understanding some of the numbers out there make more sense.

I still don’t think it’s ‘hunker in the bunker’ time. 
While I think this is a time to be vigilant and take precautions against becoming ill, I think that is a (and SHOULD always be) a NORMAL strategy in ANY event. Good hygiene and cleanliness practices apply always. Don’t be a nasty bastard. 

The mass panic is, IMHO, way overblown. Keep things in perspective. This isn’t Ebola, or the bubonic plague. COV19 is NOT a death sentence, in spite of what you may hear on the news and social media. 

I am not making light of COV19, like any disease, it certainly has its dangers and concerns, but I think the media is making more out of this than it really is. Earlier in this thread, High Exposure correctly, and intelligently said, ‘Panic is your enemy’. I’ll further that by saying that those that incite you to panic are also your enemy. Most of you here are of the mindset of being prepared for many contingencies in life. I suggest that you continue to do those things, and keep your wits about you. Perspective matters. 

Yesterday, Mrs Tex said to me that she could see getting anxious about the panic of people in her circle of friends and colleagues. My response was, there are things you can’t control, but you CAN control you...and your reaction to your environment. Don’t let emotion rule your thought processes and responses. Panic clouds your judgement, clear and concise thinking wins the day. 

Win the day by thinking clearly. Keep all of this in perspective, and keep your head about you. All of you. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I don't see that. Almost all the schools have developed at home learning strategies, and most work is attempting to maximize at home policies if possible. The schools look like they will be able to function even with one hand tied wth remote learning... the whole working thing for people... yeah thats gonna be an issue.. after 2 weeks remote working can stop being productive.. otherwise why dont we just work from home always?

My point wasn't about the actually learning and teaching, it was more around the childcare for all these grade school kids. How long can parents stay home from their jobs? Plus, the same for businesses, not everyone can do all their job duties from home for an extended period. Some examples are retail salespeople, clerical people, support people, etc.

^^^^ This

There was a line that Reagan said about making a difference....  This is also a proud father moment....so indulge me.... 

My 25yr old daughter and husband out in West Reading PA, live in a very nice apt complex...

We discussed preparing for now up to eight weeks...the school system they teach and counsel in closed for the next two.  They are still actively stocking which is good....some light panic out there...very last minute charlies, but not them, which is good..

But, she tells me they made fliers last night and placed them under the doors in their area of the bldg, and elevator - offering to shop for any older people that are nervous about going out and they are doing some shopping for them.....!

I could not be prouder of them - these are the types of stories that the news needs to report !!!! 

NOT the assinine fist fights over bumped carts!

I can leave this life knowing i left it better by virtue of my kids.....  

Sorry for the long winded promotion, but i am just proud of them and thought it was a good story to share...

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Keep in mind, a well filed chainsaw can get around any blockage if they aren't protected. Hell we were clearing streets ourselves back in November after that storm when we lost power for 4 days and no crews in sight. 

Tough to do when under the watchful eye of a scoped 30-06 within 300yds....  you wanna be holding that saw?  Not me.....

15 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Increasing time away from schools should be a non issue for 90% of schools, good luck newark... patersons camden.

It can be done ...i was a 100% remote employee for 23 years....  you just need to be disciplined....

So, let's see if I understand. Given today's national posture and assuming the testing process is 100% accurate:

- You have no symptoms, we test you anyway, and you test negative. Course of action? Go home and practice good hygiene and social isolation.

- You have no symptoms, we test you anyway, and you test positive. Course of action? Go home and practice good hygiene and social isolation.

- You have symptoms, we test you, and you test negative. Course of action? Go home and practice good hygiene and social isolation. You have something other than corona. Come back if your symptoms become very serious.

- You have symptoms, we test you, and you test positive. Course of action? Go home and practice good hygiene and social isolation. Come back if your symptoms become very serious.

The exception would be if your symptoms, regardless of the cause, were initially so serious you obviously required hospitalization. This would be true for any infection.

I mention this because Tucker really pissed me off last night implying that we should be testing everyone, and that somehow not testing everyone would result in some different and presumably terrible scenario. And if we don't have millions of test kits right now to test everyone and their brother we're all doomed. He's been harping on this all week, like test kits were the difference between salvation and disaster.

What he did not ask, and what I have heard no one ask, is 'What is the difference in your treatment based on a positive or negative test result?'. Again, assuming you're not displaying hospitalization level symptoms.

Anyone got a thought about that?

I understand it would be nice if we instantly knew each and every person carrying the corona. That could allay some fears about the scope of this thing, or confirm that the current separation recommendations are important. So other than cost and effort there's no downside to widespread testing.

But unless we're going to immediately and forcibly slam anyone testing positive into isolation, I don't see the courses of action or treatments changing because the testing band is narrow or wide.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

What he did not ask, and what I have heard no one ask, is 'What is the difference in your treatment based on a positive or negative test result?'. Again, assuming you're not displaying hospitalization level symptoms.

Anyone got a thought about that?

I understand it would be nice if we instantly knew each and every person carrying the corona. That could allay some fears about the scope of this thing, or confirm that the current separation recommendations are important. So other than cost and effort there's no downside to widespread testing.

This is exactly what I said the other day. The actual test means nothing, except for a data point for future study. The treatment is the SAME for any virus or illness. A positive or negative test doesn't change how you'll treat yourself for the symptoms. And most of the people who test positive have minor symptoms, so it's NOT a Ebola situation.

There's WAY too much focus and blame going around on this test bullshit versus focusing on what all the panic and hype is doing to the national economy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

38 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Tough to do when under the watchful eye of a scoped 30-06 within 300yds....  you wanna be holding that saw?  Not me.....

Recon, cant imagine anyone group of people dangerous enough would be that stupid. Realistically, there are already backwways and trails through the Newark watershed. You think I'd start cutting without at least 2 people 300 yards deep? Food for though, and why a community willing to defend it so important.

52 minutes ago, Sniper said:

My point wasn't about the actually learning and teaching, it was more around the childcare for all these grade school kids. How long can parents stay home from their jobs? Plus, the same for businesses, not everyone can do all their job duties from home for an extended period. Some examples are retail salespeople, clerical people, support people, etc.

I was agreeing with you on that point. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Recon, cant imagine anyone group of people dangerous enough would be that stupid. Realistically, there are already backwways and trails through the Newark watershed. You think I'd start cutting without at least 2 people 300 yards deep? Food for though, and why a community willing to defend it so important.

I would say most of those foragers aren't that tactifully minded...some may most not...

But this is not a time for those kinds of talks...i don't see it ever coming to that in this scenario

34 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Yep... Look at this picture, we're at apocalypse status if Costco has to put armed police to guard the toilet paper :

LEO.jpg

Guarding toilet paper.......   FOMO syndrome to the max.....   i can't even get my head around it......police guarding TP....  wow...just wow...

GOD forgive me for saying this but maybe tjlhe herd needs to be culled a bit

• Like 2

1 minute ago, USRifle30Cal said:

But this is not a time for those kinds of talks...i don't see it ever coming to that in this scenario

I certainly hope not too, but my concern is since 2/3rds of the population live paycheck to paycheck, and doesn't have $400 saved for a emergency, if these economic conditions continue to erode, and they aren't working for weeks, just how soon do they start to panic, and go on their own hoarding excursions?

Having hungry kids at home can make people to desperate things....

• Agree 1

Just now, Sniper said:

I certainly hope not too, but my concern is since 2/3rds of the population live paycheck to paycheck, and doesn't have $400 saved for a emergency, if these economic conditions continue to erode, and they aren't working for weeks, just how soon do they start to panic, and go on their own hoarding excursions?

Having hungry kids at home can make people to desperate things....

Anything can happen.

This ‘mass panic’, IMHO, is by design. It has nothing to do with the ‘Law of Unintended Consequences’....it’s purposeful. 

Again, IMHO, it’s more of a political move, than anything else. A responsible media would be urging calm, and pointing out the fact that most people who DO contract COV19 will have minor symptoms. Instead, they portray COV19 as horrifically deadly, as if it’s Bubonic Plague or Ebola. 

It’s interesting, sitting here on the beach in St. Thomas and listing to people around me talk. The morning paper headline was that the first confirmed case of COV19 has hit the shores here. People are buzzing about it, some are talking panic. Today, they are turning away cruise ships because of the virus....that was going to happen anyways due to the major cruise lines shutting operations for a few months. There are people here acting like it’s the end of days. 
I don’t know if the majority of the people having this reaction are residents of St. T, or are tourists. 

Edited to add: we should ALL be purveyors of common sense to people in our circles. Remind people this isn’t the plague, and that you are more likely to die from the flu than you are COV19. 

Back in mid-Feb. I decided to research and educate myself on the differences of the various disposable respirator masks, with the intention on purchasing some for us.  I decide upon getting a number of 3M P95 Particulate Respirators, (Model 8577).  Compared to N95 respirator masks, the P95 masks have a broader spectrum of protection that surpasses that of N95 masks, to include oily-based particles.  Also, the P95 masks have a 40-hour service life, as opposed to only 8-hours for the N95 masks.  While I hope we will not need to use them, I can envision us wearing these masks when we have to fly on an airplane or use other mass transportation.

Amazon was already sold out, but I was able to find them on eBay.  They ordinarily sell for $9.00 for a 2-pack.  Of course, the sellers had already started to greedily mark up the price.  I ended up paying $24.00/each for two 2-packs.  Now, it is almost impossible to find these respirators anywhere for any remotely reasonable price.  

AVB-AMG

Just now, AVB-AMG said:

Back in mid-Feb. I decided to research and educate myself on the differences of the various disposable respirator masks, with the intention on purchasing some for us.  I decide upon getting a number of 3M P95 Particulate Respirators, (Model 8577).  Compared to N95 respirator masks, the P95 masks have a broader spectrum of protection that surpasses that of N95 masks, to include oily-based particles.  Also, the P95 masks have a 40-hour service life, as opposed to only 8-hours for the N95 masks.  While I hope we will not need to use them, I can envision us wearing these masks when we have to fly on an airplane or use other mass transportation.

Amazon was already sold out, but I BBC was able to find them on eBay.  They ordinarily sell for $9.00 for a 2-pack.  Of course, the sellers had already started to greedily mark up the price.  I ended up paying $24.00/each for two 2-packs.  Now, it is almost impossible to find these respirators anywhere for any remotely reasonable price.  

AVB-AMG

I thought about buying masks, too. Then realized it was stupid. I am in a very low risk pool.. like most people. It is also a dumb idea to get onto any mass transit even with a mask. 

If i were to buy masks, it would be the 6000 or 7000 3m series masks that I already own for airbrushing. With the correct filters that last indefinitely until they become clogged

Go ahead and keep sipping your Planter’s Punch on your vacation trip, sounding like an “Ugly American”, speculating like an ignorant pompous ass....   Or you could try feeling and having some empathy and compassion for the very real and valid concerns expressed by both the island residents and other tourists, regarding the fall-our of the COVID-19 virus...

The Bahamas and other Caribbean islands all depend on much of there income from the tourists industry, followed by exporting sugar cane and rum.  The COVID-19 virus is the second of a nasty one-two punch they have received after the devastation of recent hurricanes.  The short term elimination of arriving passengers from cruise ships and spending their tourist dollars, will hit then very hard financially.  The residents of these islands know they are screwed for the foreseeable future!

AVB-AMG

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Just as a point of reference, to go with all the panic hoarding, here's the current stats of the seasonal Flu versus the Covid as of yesterday:

As a comparison, the seasonal Flu WORLDWIDE:

There are reported to be some 1 billion influenza infections worldwide each year, with up to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year, tens of thousands of U.S. deaths, and 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide.

In the USA: CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 36 million flu illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths from flu.

Now, the current Covid WORLDWIDE:

Coronavirus had infected 128,392 people globally and killed 4,728 as of Friday morning,

The U.S. had over 1,701 confirmed coronavirus cases and 40 deaths.

So, for some reason, people don't worry about the seasonal flu, yet are running with their hair on fire with the Covid?

HairOnFire.gif

HairOnFire.gif

HairOnFire.gif

Until recently, most data was from China, and thus state controlled and more suspect.  
No matter how folks want to point fingers and play blame games, reality is that the maths associated with this are suspect because folks don’t always get tested, but deaths can be pretty absolute.  So the percentages are unclear. 
How virulent this really is is also a decent question.  Again, first world data is just starting to truly be assessed. 

If the fatality rates are higher, they’re higher. If it’s more contagious to boot, there’s reason to be concerned and proactive.  Not crazy, proactive. 

3 minutes ago, AVB-AMG said:

The Bahamas and other Caribbean islands all depend on much of there income from the tourists industry, followed by exporting sugar cane and rum.  The COVID-19 virus is a second of a nasty one-two punch they have received after the devastation of recent hurricanes.  The short term elimination of arriving passengers from cruise ships and spending their tourist dollars, will hit then very hard financially.  The residents of these islands know they are screwed for the foreseeable future!

AVB-AMG

Tourist spending on these islands has been in a downward slope since 2008 if not before. More quantity and bigger ships helps somewhat, but these places aren’t competitive. They do rely on tourism, but the ebb and flow is not unique with this. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Two days after 9/11 K-rails appeared at choke points on Canistear, Breakneck and Barrett road.   I don't know who put them there or why but I noticed.

Through the woods?  LOL.  4x4 with several crews would take days.  Miles of woods in all directions around my town.  It's also rubble in there and steep, and swampy in places.  Not possible really without tracked vehicles and a lot of chainsaws.

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

This is exactly what I said the other day. The actual test means nothing, except for a data point for future study. The treatment is the SAME for any virus or illness. A positive or negative test doesn't change how you'll treat yourself for the symptoms. And most of the people who test positive have minor symptoms, so it's NOT a Ebola situation.

There's WAY too much focus and blame going around on this test bullshit versus focusing on what all the panic and hype is doing to the national economy.

Agree on that.  The one value added is that if folks are tested and some paths, interactions, etc can be identified, it may give some older higher risk folks a few more days notice that they were exposed and be proactive.  It may also help limit exposure.  
I had read that Germany was the most proactive about tracking and being proactive with test outcomes to see what alternate paths and affected folks might need to be addressed.  Stuff that would probably be considered racist and singling out people by the left, and government encroachment by folks on the right. 

10 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Two days after 9/11 K-rails appeared at choke points on Canistear, Breakneck and Barrett road.   I don't know who put them there or why but I noticed.

Through the woods?  LOL.  4x4 with several crews would take days.  Miles of woods in all directions around my town.  It's also rubble in there and steep, and swampy in places.  Not possible really without tracked vehicles and a lot of chainsaws.

Guys go back there with jeeps every weekend.. we hunt back there .. theres enough open trails wide enough for it to be concern. Just FYI I know of at least one easy round about way through the woods to get onto canisteer from 23 before the underpass..

2 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Yesterday, Mrs Tex said to me that she could see getting anxious about the panic of people in her circle of friends and colleagues. My response was, there are things you can’t control, but you CAN control you...and your reaction to your environment.

The rational mind vs instinct can be a tough battle sometimes.  My family is completely prepared for this, and just about anything that comes our way.  We learned our lessons after super storm Sandy.

In spite of knowing we have all we need to ride this out, there is still a mild level of anxiety that lurks in the corners of our minds.   The anxiety is not about our preparedness, or even catching the bug.  We are concerned about those around us who have no impulse control and allow their base instincts to override good behavior.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

This ‘mass panic’, IMHO, is by design. It has nothing to do with the ‘Law of Unintended Consequences’....it’s purposeful. 

Again, IMHO, it’s more of a political move, than anything else. A responsible media would be urging calm, and pointing out the fact that most people who DO contract COV19 will have minor symptoms. Instead, they portray COV19 as horrifically deadly, as if it’s Bubonic Plague or Ebola. 

It’s interesting, sitting here on the beach in St. Thomas and listing to people around me talk. The morning paper headline was that the first confirmed case of COV19 has hit the shores here. People are buzzing about it, some are talking panic. Today, they are turning away cruise ships because of the virus....that was going to happen anyways due to the major cruise lines shutting operations for a few months. There are people here acting like it’s the end of days. 
I don’t know if the majority of the people having this reaction are residents of St. T, or are tourists. 

Edited to add: we should ALL be purveyors of common sense to people in our circles. Remind people this isn’t the plague, and that you are more likely to die from the flu than you are COV19. 

I was in STT the week between Irma and Maria, and then a few weeks after Maria.  There were curfews, there was limited distribution of food and materials, many ran out of fuel for generators.   

There was some looting, but tings stayed safe.  And this is on an island reliant on imports for everything but water, and with some very rich and very impoverished people. 

In STT there’s a run in TP and everything else.  Cost u less and plaza extra are insane.  But people will be pacified and things will get better.  If you’re away from waterfront there’s natural social distancing.  People don’t want to live by the water on stt. 

The interesting nuance there is that the very wealthy group tend to be world travelers and it’s much more likely it’s a self-quarantining (by virtue of how real estate is set up and these folks have staff) person of means.

1 minute ago, JHZR2 said:

I was in STT the week between Irma and Maria, and then a few weeks after Maria.  There were curfews, there was limited distribution of food and materials, many ran out of fuel for generators.   

There was some looting, but tings stayed safe.  And this is on an island reliant on imports for everything but water, and with some very rich and very impoverished people. 

In STT there’s a run in TP and everything else.  Cost u less and plaza extra are insane.  But people will be pacified and things will get better.  If you’re away from waterfront there’s natural social distancing.  

It’s funny that you mention the run on TP. We picked up a six pack of TP the other day to replenish what we used in the condo. Mrs Tex has decided, instead of leaving it behind, we are taking it home with us. 

I found that quite humorous. 

• Haha 1