gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

I went to the local library.  Just in time as they are going to be closed starting Monday for at least a week. 

Picked up three novels. 

That should keep me busy for 2-3 weeks if I pace myself. 

And if it gets REALLY bad, I can use those novels for something other than reading material.   

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, 45Doll said:

So, let's see if I understand. Given today's national posture and assuming the testing process is 100% accurate:

- You have no symptoms, we test you anyway, and you test negative. Course of action? Go home and practice good hygiene and social isolation.

- You have no symptoms, we test you anyway, and you test positive. Course of action? Go home and practice good hygiene and social isolation.

- You have symptoms, we test you, and you test negative. Course of action? Go home and practice good hygiene and social isolation. You have something other than corona. Come back if your symptoms become very serious.

- You have symptoms, we test you, and you test positive. Course of action? Go home and practice good hygiene and social isolation. Come back if your symptoms become very serious.

The exception would be if your symptoms, regardless of the cause, were initially so serious you obviously required hospitalization. This would be true for any infection.

I mention this because Tucker really pissed me off last night implying that we should be testing everyone, and that somehow not testing everyone would result in some different and presumably terrible scenario. And if we don't have millions of test kits right now to test everyone and their brother we're all doomed. He's been harping on this all week, like test kits were the difference between salvation and disaster.

What he did not ask, and what I have heard no one ask, is 'What is the difference in your treatment based on a positive or negative test result?'. Again, assuming you're not displaying hospitalization level symptoms.

Anyone got a thought about that?

I understand it would be nice if we instantly knew each and every person carrying the corona. That could allay some fears about the scope of this thing, or confirm that the current separation recommendations are important. So other than cost and effort there's no downside to widespread testing.

But unless we're going to immediately and forcibly slam anyone testing positive into isolation, I don't see the courses of action or treatments changing because the testing band is narrow or wide.

The Surgeon General said exactly this tonight as a guest on Judge Jeanine.  The results aren’t going to change what we tell you to do.

Tucker has bugged me all week as well.  Since we are essentially all limiting our interaction or eliminating it and if we have symptoms, we are...or should be..isolating so as not to infect anyone with whatever we might have.

I thunk Tucker’s motivation is based on the belief that people without symptoms but are infected and don’t know it, will communicate the virus to other because they won’t isolate.  A week ago that was a good concern. But it is significantly less of a concern now.  Plus... symptomless people are said to be less likely to transmit to others, provided the people involve practice simple basic hygiene. 

So the answer is.... practice good hygiene .... whoever the hell you are.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I did email my post to Tucker and got a delivery receipt. Whether or not he or his staff will read it... who knows.

And Kevin, I'll record Janine later tonight and review it. Thanks.

24 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

I did email my post to Tucker and got a delivery receipt. Whether or not he or his staff will read it... who knows.

And Kevin, I'll record Janine later tonight and review it. Thanks.

It’s worth a viewing.

Also... this article about a professional expat living in Italy.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/coronavirus-quarantine-italy-mistakes

It focuses on the quarantine and mistakes made by Italians. But pay attention to the passage toward the end about how her and many people she knew were very sick.....in Dec and Jan....  her symptoms describe almost to a tee what my whole family had during that same time.  She does not say she was tested then or now.  But it’s interesting to consider what caused that odd illness.

For us.... my son attends Drexel U in Philly.  That school had a large number of Chinese nationals as students.  Thousands....  of the 14,500 attendees. He was sick first... then my daughter who he hangs out with and attends St. Joe’s in Philly. Then my wife.. then me.

It was bad and identical to what she described. We were all tested for flu and were negative.  But my daughter tested positive for an unidentifiable virus.

Now I read that there are reports that wuflu began in China as early as November. No conclusions can be drawn. But it would be interesting to see the results of a test for antibodies.

• Informative 2

2 hours ago, WP22 said:

Anyway, you probably not familiar with Sarah Hoyt but her thoughts on this matter, especially about what's going on in Europe, are dead on

https://accordingtohoyt.com/2020/03/13/a-state-of-madness/

Very good article. Thanks for posting. Here's another good article with a similar theme (basically: is the cure worse than the disease?) by one of my fav writers, Heather MacDonald:

https://newcriterion.com/blogs/dispatch/compared-to-what

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

State-wide curfew and quarantine.  Sounds good until they try to enforce it. Also secondary impact on resources about to get critical. 

Yep, it's definitely coming. The majority will abide by it.

What's really worse, is the economic fallout by shutting everything down and having all economic activities come to a halt.. This will push us into a major recession, or possibly even a depression, all to save a few older people....

10 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Here's another good article with a similar theme (basically: is the cure worse than the disease?) b

That article is spot on, and should be read by EVER knucklehead in D.C. She makes many GREAT points. The lawmakers will crush the economy, affecting EVERYONE, to try and save a few old people. Some quotes:

...." So far, the United States has seen forty-one deaths from the infection. Twenty-two of those deaths occurred in one poorly run nursing home outside of Seattle, the Life Care Center. Another nine deaths occurred in the rest of Washington state, leaving ten deaths (four in California, two in Florida, and one in each of Georgia, Kansas, New Jersey, and South Dakota) spread throughout the rest of the approximately 329 million residents of the United States. This represents roughly .000012 percent of the U.S. population.

By comparison, there were 38,800 traffic fatalities in the United States in 2019, the National Safety Council estimates. That represents an average of over one hundred traffic deaths every day; if the press catalogued these in as much painstaking detail as they have deaths from coronavirus, highways nationwide would be as empty as New York subways are now.

An example: there were 34,200 deaths in the United States during the 2018–19 influenza season, estimates the cdc. We did not shut down public events and institutions to try to slow the spread of the flu. Yet we have already destroyed $5 trillion in stock market wealth over the last few weeks in the growing coronavirus panic, reports The New York Times, wiping out retirement savings for many.

But the damage to people’s livelihoods through the resulting economic contraction is real and widespread. Its health consequences will be more severe than those of the coronavirus, as Steve Malanga shows in City Journal.

• Informative 1

37 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Yep, it's definitely coming. The majority will abide by it.

What's really worse, is the economic fallout by shutting everything down and having all economic activities come to a halt.. This will push us into a major recession, or possibly even a depression, all to save a few older people....

If they institute a mandatory isolation you’re going to see the state economy nose-dive.  Then again, that can happen even with self isolation. Doesn’t too many weeks of no income before small businesses go under.  Think all the Gyms or swim/gymnastics/karate Studio type places. 

• Agree 1

It will be interesting to see if this grows legs. Dr Fauci is calling for a 14 day nationwide shutdown. Trump listens to him...

...."Dr. Antony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, urged Americans to shut down more aggressively as the coronavirus spreads.

On MSNBC’s “Meet the Press” Mr. Fauci endorsed a 14-day “national shutdown” to help slow down the virus. He explained that he has brought it up with the administration, which is generally open to his ideas.

“I think Americans should be prepared that they are going to have to hunker down significantly more than we as a country are doing,” he said.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/mar/15/anthony-fauci-urges-coronavirus-national-shutdown/

2 hours ago, voyager9 said:

If they institute a mandatory isolation you’re going to see the state economy nose-dive.  Then again, that can happen even with self isolation. Doesn’t too many weeks of no income before small businesses go under.

Exactly... but they don't seem to me concerned about that, probably because their government salaries are guaranteed...

I looks like Murphy is going to try and call for a statewide school shutdown for starters..

I'd say by mid week shit is gonna hit the fan in this state with quarantines, full state shut down.

People say it's gonna take a few months to return to normalcy? I'm predicting a few years, small businesses fucked.

Bergen county, and some of Hudson are already there... 

• Agree 1

So let's see...

Trump's strongest re-election card is the economy.

The Wuhan virus may or may not be a terrible threat. Remains to be seen.

But regardless, if we can create a panic over it that dumps the economy prior to the election, maybe we can defeat Trump indirectly. I mean if we can get the unemployment rate back up to 7 or 8% can't we club him over the head with that in November?

Why not?

• Agree 1
  • Crazy 1

36 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

So let's see...

Trump's strongest re-election card is the economy.

The Wuhan virus may or may not be a terrible threat. Remains to be seen.

But regardless, if we can create a panic over it that dumps the economy prior to the election, maybe we can defeat Trump indirectly. I mean if we can get the unemployment rate back up to 7 or 8% can't we club him over the head with that in November?

Why not?

Even if it’s not orchestrated this thing could lose him the election.   Unless the US pulls out of this within a month or so there is little way he’d win. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, WP22 said:

Anyway, you probably not familiar with Sarah Hoyt but her thoughts on this matter, especially about what's going on in Europe, are dead on

https://accordingtohoyt.com/2020/03/13/a-state-of-madness/

That was a good article.  It made a lot of sense.  I find that I really have to balance how much information I take in at a given time.  I can see where too much unfiltered negativity can create panic.

You guys that work/commute to NYC, take note.... it's coming....:

The way to get out of crisis is to act logically and strategically.

Logic says we need universal testing but that’s sadly not happening. Strategy says we need more aggressive social distancing.

That is why today, out of an abundance of caution, I am calling for a city shutdown.

Only essential services should remain open. No bars, restaurants, or movie theaters.

And I am again calling for NYC schools to be shut down.

We cannot go on with business as usual.

5 hours ago, Sniper said:

That article is spot on, and should be read by EVER knucklehead in D.C. She makes many GREAT points. The lawmakers will crush the economy, affecting EVERYONE, to try and save a few old people. Some quotes:

...." So far, the United States has seen forty-one deaths from the infection. Twenty-two of those deaths occurred in one poorly run nursing home outside of Seattle, the Life Care Center. Another nine deaths occurred in the rest of Washington state, leaving ten deaths (four in California, two in Florida, and one in each of Georgia, Kansas, New Jersey, and South Dakota) spread throughout the rest of the approximately 329 million residents of the United States. This represents roughly .000012 percent of the U.S. population.

By comparison, there were 38,800 traffic fatalities in the United States in 2019, the National Safety Council estimates. That represents an average of over one hundred traffic deaths every day; if the press catalogued these in as much painstaking detail as they have deaths from coronavirus, highways nationwide would be as empty as New York subways are now.

An example: there were 34,200 deaths in the United States during the 2018–19 influenza season, estimates the cdc. We did not shut down public events and institutions to try to slow the spread of the flu. Yet we have already destroyed $5 trillion in stock market wealth over the last few weeks in the growing coronavirus panic, reports The New York Times, wiping out retirement savings for many.

But the damage to people’s livelihoods through the resulting economic contraction is real and widespread. Its health consequences will be more severe than those of the coronavirus, as Steve Malanga shows in City Journal.

This article is very informative.  Yes, a death is still a death, which is bad, but I wonder how published and advertsed it is that 21 of 41 deaths were from the same poorly run nursing home in Washington state.  Granted, this is the high risk population, but people need to know this so they can be educated as to where the real risk areas are.

• Like 1

It's not SHTF until people start pulling guns/knives on each other and people start dying in hospital parking lots.  Toilet paper and shutting down restaurants is child's play.  The ship has sailed on testing and containment.

Back of the envelope math, we have ~30K hospital beds (source) in NJ for a population of 9 million.  Assume generously that those 30K beds are ICU and ventilator equipped.

At what point in the medical system overwhelmed by Coronavirus patients requiring ICU/hospitalization (i.e. 9 million population x infection rate x hospitalization rate greater than 30K hospital beds for the duration of treatment)?  You can play with the formulas and math for flexing the beds and rates, but in Italy, the ER's are triaging who gets to live and die.

What are you going to do if you or a loved one is in the unlucky X% that needs to go into ICU with respiratory distress?  More importantly, what's the guy next to you going to do?

If people start cutting in line at the ER or hospital parking lot, is someone going to pull a gun?  Let's hope it doesn't get to that point, but who knows?

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, father-of-three said:

Yes, a death is still a death, which is bad, but I wonder how published and advertsed it is that 21 of 41 deaths were from the same poorly run nursing home in Washington state.  Granted, this is the high risk population, but people need to know this so they can be educated as to where the real risk areas are.

It hardly has been mentioned... it ruins the sensationalism of the MSM broadcasts.

To date, there are at least 2,952 confirmed COVID-19 cases in the U.S. and at least 57 deaths, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

And the country goes absolutely crazy.....

Yet, 110 people died today in car wrecks, 110 yesterday, 110 the day before that, 110 the day before that... and no one blinks.. has there any call to ban cars and trucks???

1,640 died of cardiovascular disease today, 1,640 yesterday, 1,640 the day before that, 1,640 the day before that.... has the government banned double cheeseburgers yet?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Sniper said:

It hardly has been mentioned... it ruins the sensationalism of the MSM broadcasts.

To date, there are at least 2,952 confirmed COVID-19 cases in the U.S. and at least 57 deaths, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

And the country goes absolutely crazy.....

Yet, 110 people died today in car wrecks, 110 yesterday, 110 the day before that, 110 the day before that... and no one blinks.. has there any call to ban cars and trucks???

1,640 died of cardiovascular disease today, 1,640 yesterday, 1,640 the day before that, 1,640 the day before that.... has the government banned double cheeseburgers yet?

Facts and logic don't matter right now.

The fed just lowered rates to zero, ON A SUNDAY EVENING, means they know shit is going to hit the fan tomorrow. 

• Like 1

The more I learn about what has been happening since December, the more I believe this has been out there with the same impact on health since then but it was not being attributed to corona, but to an as of yet unnamed respiratory viral infection.  All of it is from health care professionals and one I know personally who in charge of crisis response at a large hospital near Atlanta.

If the infections that were not identified back in Dec and Jan here in the US are due to covid-19 then the graphs you see now should actually be stacked on top of graphs that were never done or published for unattributed viral infections.  Including the resulting fatalities.

Why does this matter?  If this is actually the case, and there’s just as much argument for it as against it, the hysteria happening now did not happen while the same contagion spread the same way but went unnoticed.

I’m not talking a conspiracy. I’m talking about unnecessary hysteria and idiocy.  I sure hope we find out but we may never know.

5 minutes ago, Kevin125 said:

Why does this matter?  If this is actually the case, and there’s just as much argument for it as against it, the hysteria happening now did not happen while the same contagion spread the same way but went unnoticed.

Here is the weekly update from the CDC for the seasonal flu as of March 7th:

...."CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 36 million flu illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths from flu."

Why hasn't there been any media hysteria about those numbers???

Does the lives of the 22,000 don't matter to the MSM versus the 57 Covid deaths in the country now?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Sniper said:

Here is the weekly update from the CDC for the seasonal flu as of March 7th:

...."CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 36 million flu illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths from flu."

Why hasn't there been any media hysteria about those numbers???

Does the lives of the 22,000 don't matter to the MSM versus the 57 Covid deaths in the country now?

Good question.  Isn’t is typical to ask...who benefits?

"The death toll in the United States is more than 50."

That is a news headline.....

10 times that, 100 times that 1000 times that - its a typical year.....  for a virus....

Life is precious and short....we are at the precipice, we shall sadly, i think take the step over into the void.... best of luck.....