gleninjersey

Prep For Quarantine / Pandemic

3 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

AAR for grocery shopping in my local area. 

Our local ACME market was...weird. 
I expected there to be no TP or PT and I was right. 
Bleach and disinfectant surface cleaners were gone. Lots of laundry detergent and fabric softener available. Funny. 

There was a decent supply of beef in the meat case. Steaks, and roasts were in decent supply. 
Other than frozen chicken wings and turkey breasts, no poultry was available. 
Pork was also well picked over. A few racks of fresh ribs and dozens of frozen. 

Fresh produce was pretty available. I took a quick glance at the frozen section, and they appear to be fairly well stocked too. 

Milk was pretty bleak, but cheese, eggs, yogurt, and sour cream were plentiful. 

Canned goods, pasta and jarred pasta sauce was in good supply. 

Junk food was bountiful, as was soda. I don’t think there was any bottled water. 

The store was crowded, and this particular store rarely is. Although we were very aware of our surroundings and vigilant, we were more in observational mode while we picked up a few things. 
People had a strange look overall...not panicked, but worried....

I think its all a matter of when the stores scheduled deliveries are.  Say a store has canned veggy deliveries on monday and thursday.  Panic buying clears out shelves monday at noon.  The store wont be getting a delivery until thursday.  

33 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Yes, much better for 1000 snot covered, ass picked hands to touch the pump.  Nothing could possibly spread as a result of that.

It would eliminate the attendant breathing in my window at the beginning and end of every transaction.  Also, I can easily sanitize my hands after touching the pump.  The attendant isn't doing the same after dealing with each of the 1000 snot covered, ass picked hands he comes in contact with.

Plus, I'm sick of NJ refusing to allow me to have access to cheaper self-serve gas.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Sniper said:

There's been 3700 confirmed cases and 69 deaths out of 330,000,000 people in the country. Over-reaction?

And there are estimates that 20-40% of infected never display any symptoms, but do shed the virus and can infect others.

2 minutes ago, 10X said:

Plus, I'm sick of NJ refusing to allow me to have access to cheaper self-serve gas.

You want cheaper gas? Why don't we first start with reducing 41.4 cent per gallon tax load?

8 minutes ago, PeteF said:

Panic buying clears out shelves monday at noon.  The store wont be getting a delivery until thursday.  

My local Walmart shut down 24 hour openings, and now said they close at 11PM so they can restock overnight.

3 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

And there are estimates that 20-40% of infected never display any symptoms, but do shed the virus and can infect others.

And 80%+ that test positive don't require and medical intervention.

49661123967_2a8ab51f31_k.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

Hmmm......just wait another week or so....CNN is blowing this out of sight, hair on fire, screaming.....they completely SUCK those liberal bastids....omo.

I'd love to see them charged for creating a public panic.   Like the "fire in a theater" isn't protected speech.

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

According to NJ.com the curfew has been requested but is still voluntary:

Gov. Phil Murphy said Monday people should not leave their homes between 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. to help stop the spread of the coronavirus. The only exceptions, according to the governor’s recommendation, would be emergency or essential travel.

While not an order under Murphy’s declaration of a state of emergency, the governor said he is “strongly discouraging non-essential travel.” The measure was announced during a joint conference call with New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont.

seriously, i plan on going shopping at 8pm tonight simply because this jackass told me i can't

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, PeteF said:

Not closed.  "Work from home",  "tele teaching"  or as the rest of the world calls it, paid vacation.

Can't upset the union donors.

I started working at midnight to get ahead of network issues.  Worked till 4.  Did a telecon at work from 8-1245.  Now I get to do instruction for my kids, who diligently were attending to materials that their teacher provided to us this AM. 

Not sure who is getting time off.  I’m not a fan of work from home.  Much of the private sector allows it - I have friends who have done it for years.  I’m not a fan and too much of what I do requires personal interaction.  

My wife works in a school district as a special services provider. She has to keep up with that as well as manage our home activities and kids’ instruction.

Quite some paid vacation... Cant comment on union donors as I’m not one.

1 minute ago, DirtyDigz said:

What's 20% of ~370 million?  Are you confident that the US healthcare system can provide medical care to that number in a relatively short window?

Medical intervention runs from going to your regular doc and having him give you a good cough syrup, or tell you "yeah you have the flu, heres a letter for work, rest and drink lots of fluids".

To hospitalizations, which will likely run in the ~100-200k.  And yes the medical system can handle that.  They do every year.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Yet..

I said Incrementalism, they have to do this in small bites, as to not spook the sheep. There will be a national shutdown or quarantine soon... just like in Italy.

Look what's gone on as of today: Cruise ships suspended, major sports suspended, schools closed, government offices closed, restaurants, bars, gyms, closed. All groups/events of 250 people suspended. Nursing homes locked down.

Now, the talk today, groups of 50 people suspended. Dr. Fauchi is calling for a 14 day national quarantine. Trump has hinted to it. Cuomo, DiBlasio and Murphy have all brought it up..

The media started that panic weeks ago. Got toilet paper? This was done to get the sheep to stock up in plans of a curfew or quarantine for an extended period.

There's been 3700 confirmed cases and 69 deaths out of 330,000,000 people in the country. Over-reaction?

Not looking to argue at all just an observation

-----  See this is the thing ------   When you use terms like that, 'YET'.  That is what I cannot get over - there is always the push to incite, and sometimes imo, you are just as guilty of what you are accusing the media of doing, inciting a possible panic.

Because I am fairly certain that no one this evening is going to be 'shot on site' and I am also pretty sure it is not going to happen tomorrow or next week either - but ya never know.

The more pressing issue I think - it that you are a believer that this is quite possibly a hoax of some sort.  While I think it has been blown out of proportion, you seem to think that it should be business as usual, and that does not seem to make sense to me.

There is surely a public health event taking place, that has been turned into a major shit show, granted, but to ignore that there are more severe ramifications of doing nothing, than taking these extreme measures, cannot be understated. 

So, let's say there is a further 'lockdown' a la Italy, and let's say it is necessary, wouldn't this all be a small price to pay to saves lives and the nation as a whole?  I would submit to you doing nothing has far more dire circumstances in pushing a people to a more dangerous outcome that what is being down now.

Do I see a day where the NAT GUARD is going to be on the streets in certain areas? Yes, to assist police, and other emergency element to assist the nation in keeping people safe in so much as they can, not to mow them down.

I am usually very pessimistic, but I see nothing but good things coming from all this once we get past this very very hard learned lesson.

I see a resurgence in US manufacturing !

I see market forces brought to bear to Support that !

I see new opportunities in technology !

I see new opportunities in Health Care !

I see new opportunities in investment avenues to support the above !

I see that maybe *FINALLY* we can see the VALUE of our older generations and treat them with the respect they deserve in their later years, in lieu of being toss away humans !!!

This is NOT the apocalypse, that would be a death rate of SARS/MERS at this level of transmissibility of this contagion - that would be apocalyptic - and stacking of bodies.  Maybe just maybe this event, will be the impetus to finally get a vaccine in order to provide some protection for a future event.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, JHZR2 said:

I started working at midnight to get ahead of network issues.  Worked till 4.  Did a telecon at work from 8-1245.  Now I get to do instruction for my kids, who diligently were attending to materials that their teacher provided to us this AM. 

Not sure who is getting time off.  I’m not a fan of work from home.  Much of the private sector allows it - I have friends who have done it for years.  I’m not a fan and too much of what I do requires personal interaction.  

My wife works in a school district as a special services provider. She has to keep up with that as well as manage our home activities and kids’ instruction.

Quite some paid vacation... ant comment on union donors as I’m not one.

So i have to do all the same things plus showering shaving, commuting, being 100% on company business while at work (No "sorry I'm taking a break to walk the dog",  "oh that new episode is on ill get to work afterwards")

Yeah work at home is a vacation.

2 minutes ago, PeteF said:

Yeah work at home is a vacation.

That is a blanket statement and I am sure applies to some, but not all.  

I have worked from home for the last 20+ years, it was my office and while I was and did go to project sites etc. I was never in an office with collegues.

The past three years, I have been going to an office 3 days a week - guess what those three days are my least productive.

It all depends on the person.....some can hack it - others cannot

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, JHZR2 said:

Quite some paid vacation... Cant comment on union donors as I’m not one.

i personally love wfh, but not like this. first off, i do it only once every couple of weeks. i'm home alone at the house, everyone at work is in the office, so it's a great dynamic. they're there to do office stuff and i can work remotely very effectively. now, everyone is home, no one in the office, and my house is full of displaced students/workers/wife. it's chaos

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, PeteF said:

To hospitalizations, which will likely run in the ~100-200k.  And yes the medical system can handle that.  They do every year.

5e62a449fee23d58c83a9e62?width=700&forma

https://www.aha.org/statistics/fast-facts-us-hospitals

Total Staffed Beds in All U.S. Hospitals

For the cheap seats:

AHA guestimate on Coronoavirus hospital admissions:

4.8 Million

AHA reported total staffed hospital beds in all U.S. Hospitals:

So maybe, just maybe, it makes sense to slow down the rate of admissions as much as possible?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PeteF said:

From your link

"Red Bank officials declared a “local state of emergency” Sunday night in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic, ordering bars, restaurants and other large facilities to cease operations at the end of the day Monday."

Sounds like an order to close to me.

Why do you guys have such a hard time reading an entire article?

"All bars and restaurant establishments, with and without a liquor license, are no longer permitted to serve patrons within the establishment.  Any bar or restaurant establishment that currently offers food service will be permitted to conduct food takeout and food delivery service only."

But i fully expect to dodge a hail of authoritative bullets, risking my life for takeout..

6 minutes ago, PeteF said:

Did they or did they not pass the ordinance?  Maybe you should read what you post before you post?

DOES THAT ORDINANCE SHUT DOWN RESTAURANTS? NO! 

It put them on limited service... 

If the kitchens are open and you can buy food... how is that "closed"?

See I did read what i posted..... let's take our own advice because you clearly didn't read the actual ordinance at the bottom of the page. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

5e62a449fee23d58c83a9e62?width=700&forma

https://www.aha.org/statistics/fast-facts-us-hospitals

Total Staffed Beds in All U.S. Hospitals

For the cheap seats:

AHA guestimate on Coronoavirus hospital admissions:

4.8 Million

AHA reported total staffed hospital beds in all U.S. Hospitals:

So maybe, just maybe, it makes sense to slow down the rate of admissions as much as possible?

So in the 5 months, that this virus has been known.  There are less than 200k cases in 7 BILLION people with ~7k dead.  But yet the stays you quote say there will be >25x the hospital admissions than total known cases in 330 million of the us alone? 

Do you not see anything wrong with their guess?

6 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

DOES THAT ORDINANCE SHUT DOWN RESTAURANTS? NO! 

It put them on limited service... 

If the kitchens are open and you can buy food... how is that "closed"?

See I did read what i posted..... let's take our own advice because you clearly didn't read the actual ordinance at the bottom of the page. 

Yes not being allowed to have patrons at your business is being closed.  You think a call in order or 6 equals a dining room filled with patrons are the same thing?  You think people go to a restaurant to just eat?  People go to socialize and not have to worry about prep or cleanup.  Would you like a appetizer?  Any desserts tonight?  Can I get you another drink?  Guess what all those do?  Cha ching.  Money in the register, that pays the bis

So yeah, forcing the doors closed is shutting them down. 

You can get off your high horse now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, 10X said:

It would eliminate the attendant breathing in my window at the beginning and end of every transaction

Maybe you need to stop being so sexy and making the attendants all hot and bothered.  They never breathe heavy for me.

13 minutes ago, PeteF said:

So in the 5 months, that this virus has been known.  There are less than 200k cases in 7 BILLION people with ~7k dead.  But yet the stays you quote say there will be >25x the hospital admissions than total known cases in 330 million of the us alone? 

Do you not see anything wrong with their guess?

<200K cases *known* of a new virus which has ~double the infection rate of "normal" flu, with a ~2 week incubation period during which it is still communicable, which can be asymptomatic for ~50% of the infected, and for which testing procedures are still being developed.

9 minutes ago, PeteF said:

Yes not being allowed to have patrons at your business is being closed.  You think a call in order or 6 equals a dining room filled with patrons are the same thing?  You think people go to a restaurant to just eat?  People go to socialize and not have to worry about prep or cleanup.  Would you like a appetizer?  Any desserts tonight?  Can I get you another drink?  Guess what all those do?  Cha ching.  Money in the register, that pays the bis

So yeah, forcing the doors closed is shutting them down. 

You can get off your high horse now.

High horse? 

I stated a fact and you came barging in here like a know it all all opinionated...

Give it a rest.

I'm sure it really helps their bottom dollar telling people they are closed for business, what a nice guy you are denying them the little services they can perform...